DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What permits do I need to have to fly my DJI MINI 2 in Spain if I am not a resident of the EU?

serenweeks

Reactions
Hi guys!
Im new to drones, I just bought my DJI Mini 2 today for my travels and whilst I've completed my operator ID for the UK, I'm just struggling to understand what's required by Spanish legislation to fly it in Spain, as I swear I cannot get a clear answer.
Whilst some things say I don't need a permit or license because it's under 250grams, others say I do since it has a camera and isn't considered a toy.
Any links and guidelines would be appreciated (the ones I found are in Spanish and unclear when translated on google hahahahaha)
Thanks guys !!
- Seren :)

Reactions: LoudThunder
Hi guys!
Im new to drones, I just bought my DJI Mini 2 today for my travels and whilst I've completed my operator ID for the UK, I'm just struggling to understand what's required by Spanish legislation to fly it in Spain, as I swear I cannot get a clear answer.
Whilst some things say I don't need a permit or license because it's under 250grams, others say I do since it has a camera and isn't considered a toy.
Any links and guidelines would be appreciated (the ones I found are in Spanish and unclear when translated on google hahahahaha)
Thanks guys !!
Here's a good place to begin.

Hi guys!
Thanks guys !!

You need to:

- Register as a drone operator on AESA Spain or any other EU country
- Register the drone at AESA SPAIN
- Insurance the drone (Insurance covering Spain. If you don´t know where to start, Coverdrone )
- Pass an online test to get unless the A1 certificate (in any EU country)
- Put fireproof plates on the drone and controller with your data

You can get this information from here Drone Operator Registration/UAS | AESA-Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea - Ministerio de Fomento following link in " Information about drones of less than 250 g." (sorry, only in Spanish) Where, in the part that interests us, it says:

"Therefore, and taking into account the above, aircraft such as the DJI Mavic Mini or Mini 2, Hubsan Zino Mini Se or Xiaomi Fimi X8 Mini among others, despite having an MTOM < 250 g, require registration as a UAS operator to fly in the 'open' category, since they have a device that allows for the capture
to fly in the 'open' category, as they have a device that allows the capture of personal data (camera, for example) and their (camera, for example) and their typology is not covered by the Community Directive 2009/48/EC, as they are not considered as toys by the manufacturers."

You have more info here: Piloto de drones | AESA-Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea - Ministerio de Fomento and here How to fly a UAS in Spain | AESA-Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea - Ministerio de Fomento

And from here, you can check the flight restrictions: ENAIRE Drones

Hope this helps you and if you have futher questions, don´t hesitate to ask

Last edited:
If you don't plan to shoot anything with the camera, you don't need anything to fly (using under 250grs drones). If you are going to shoot with the camera, you need to register as a drone operator, register the drone, secure it and pass an online test to get the certificate.

You have more info here: https://www.enaire.es/services/drones/how_to_fly_drones_in_noncontrolled_airspace

Hope this helps you

The EASA regulations say that if there's a camera on board the drone and it's not a toy, registration is required. I haven't seen an exception mentioned for having a camera on the drone and not using it.

The EASA regulations say that if there's a camera on board the drone and it's not a toy, registration is required. I haven't seen an exception mentioned for having a camera on the drone and not using it.

You're right, I was editing my post. You can read now the correct information and sources from Spanish Goverment

You need to:

- Register as a drone operator on AESA Spain or any other EU country
- Register the drone at AESA SPAIN
- Insurance yhe drone
- Pass an online test to get unless the A1 certificate
- Putt fireproof plates on the drone and controller with your data

You can get this information from here Drone Operator Registration/UAS | AESA-Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea - Ministerio de Fomento following link in " Information about drones of less than 250 g." (sorry, only in Spanish) Where, in the part that interests us, it says:

"Therefore, and taking into account the above, aircraft such as the DJI Mavic Mini or Mini 2, Hubsan Zino Mini Se or Xiaomi Fimi X8 Mini among others, despite having an MTOM < 250 g, require registration as a UAS operator to fly in the 'open' category, since they have a device that allows for the capture
to fly in the 'open' category, as they have a device that allows the capture of personal data (camera, for example) and their (camera, for example) and their typology is not covered by the Community Directive 2009/48/EC, as they are not considered as toys by the manufacturers."

You have more info here: Piloto de drones | AESA-Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea - Ministerio de Fomento and here How to fly a UAS in Spain | AESA-Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea - Ministerio de Fomento

They don't have to register in Spain, the rules across the EU are the same and registration carries across all EU countries - so, as an English speaker the easiest thing to do is register in Ireland (as per the first reply).

They don't have to register in Spain, the rules across the EU are the same and registration carries across all EU countries - so, as an English speaker the easiest thing to do is register in Ireland (as per the first reply).

In the information I have provided, I have stated that "Register as a drone operator on AESA Spain or any other EU country".

Obtain the A1 certificate can also be done in any EU country.

I hope this clarifies the information

In the information I have provided, I have stated that "Register as a drone operator on AESA Spain or any other EU country".

Obtain the A1 certificate can also be done in any EU country.

I hope this clarifies the information
I know :) I wasn't being picky, your info is great and really helpful. I was just pointing out it's easier for native English speakers to do it on the Irish website.

Can I just clarify (I’m going to the Canary Islands shortly) if I have a Mini 2, I know I have to register in an EU country (I’ll do Eire) but are there any other requirements? @DiscoverSpain implies that some other separate registration is required in Spain plus mandatory insurance.

Sorry to be thick, but I am not a cavalier drone flyer: I want to get things right!

Sorry to be thick, but I am not a cavalier drone flyer: I want to get things right!
You might want to contact the Embassy or Consulate for the latest, most up to date, information if you are not getting your info from a government web site.

Can I just clarify (I’m going to the Canary Islands shortly) if I have a Mini 2, I know I have to register in an EU country (I’ll do Eire) but are there any other requirements? @DiscoverSpain implies that some other separate registration is required in Spain plus mandatory insurance.

Assuming you have registered yourself as drone operator and got A1 license in any other EU country, you still need:

- Insurance the drone (Insurance covering Spain. If you don´t know where to start, Coverdrone ) --> It's always mandatory

You can review this info on this link Operations With Foreign and Cross-Border UAS/Drones | AESA-Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea - Ministerio de Fomento (You will fly under Open Category, A1 license)

Just in case, don't forget to print out and carry with you, the operator registration, A1 certificate and insurance.

Assuming you have registered yourself as drone operator and got A1 license in any other EU country, you still need:

- Insurance the drone (Insurance covering Spain. If you don´t know where to start, Coverdrone ) --> It's always mandatory

You can review this info on this link Operations With Foreign and Cross-Border UAS/Drones | AESA-Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea - Ministerio de Fomento (You will fly under Open Category, A1 license)

Just in case, don't forget to print out and carry with you, the operator registration, A1 certificate and insurance.
Thanks @DiscoverSpain.

I had thought all I had to do was register in an EU country…..…..…..

….it’s all getting too complicated (fireproof plates? At the moment my GB registration number is stuck on my drones via paper and sellotape) and I had thought insurance was advisory not mandatory.

I guess my drone will be staying at home 😥

Thanks @DiscoverSpain.

I had thought all I had to do was register in an EU country…..…..…..

….it’s all getting too complicated (fireproof plates? At the moment my GB registration number is stuck on my drones via paper and sellotape) and I had thought insurance was advisory not mandatory.

I guess my drone will be staying at home 😥

According to available information here Do you have a UAS/dron? | AESA-Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea - Ministerio de Fomento and here European regulations on UAS/drones | AESA-Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea - Ministerio de Fomento insurance is mandatory.

I cannot find any updated information about fireproff plates, only info about the drone has to display the operator's information. Searching I have found this tweet it confirms that fireproof plates are no longer required, only operator's information on drone (I'll edit original post).

I am sorry to read that you are not going to bring your drone to Spain. If it's about insurance, in the link in my first post, you can insure the drone at very competitive prices, even for just one day.

Hi guys!
Thanks guys !!

Resuming all the information and sources of information for and under 250gr drone as Mini 2

You need to:

1) Register as a drone operator on AESA Spain or any other EU country

2) Pass an online test to get unless the A1 certificate (in any EU country)

3) Register the drone at AESA SPAIN

4) Insurance the drone (Insurance covering Spain. If you don´t know where to start, Coverdrone )

Information here Do you have a UAS/dron? | AESA-Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea - Ministerio de Fomento and here European regulations on UAS/drones | AESA-Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea - Ministerio de Fomento insurance is mandatory.

5) Write down operator's information on drone (fireproof plates no longer required)

I cannot find any updated information about fireproff plates, only info about the drone has to display the operator's information. Searching I have found this tweet it confirms that fireproof plates are no longer required, only operator's information on drone

Resuming all the information and sources of information for and under 250gr drone as Mini 2

You need to:

1) Register as a drone operator on AESA Spain or any other EU country

2) Pass an online test to get unless the A1 certificate (in any EU country)

3) Register the drone at AESA SPAIN

4) Insurance the drone (Insurance covering Spain. If you don´t know where to start, Coverdrone )

Information here Do you have a UAS/dron? | AESA-Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea - Ministerio de Fomento and here European regulations on UAS/drones | AESA-Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea - Ministerio de Fomento insurance is mandatory.

5) Write down operator's information on drone (fireproof plates no longer required)

I cannot find any updated information about fireproff plates, only info about the drone has to display the operator's information. Searching I have found this tweet it confirms that fireproof plates are no longer required, only operator's information on drone

Thanks for taking the time to reply @DiscoverSpain: it’s much appreciated.

I just have one question: when you say “3) Register the drone at AESA SPAIN”, is this a second registration in addition to the registration in any EU country?

Cheers,

CG

Thanks for taking the time to reply @DiscoverSpain: it’s much appreciated.

I just have one question: when you say “3) Register the drone at AESA SPAIN”, is this a second registration in addition to the registration in any EU country?

Cheers,

CG

From my point of view, it is not clear (as unfortunately many other things in Spain). What I can tell you for sure is that I haven't found anything written about mandatory to register your drone in Spain. Sorry!

From my point of view, it is not clear (as unfortunately many other things in Spain). What I can tell you for sure is that I haven't found anything written about mandatory to register your drone in Spain. Sorry!
Thanks for this @DiscoverSpain

I think I'll proceed on the basis that EU registration is required (the equivalent of the UK flyer ID and Operator ID), the EU operator ID is affixed to the Drone (alongside the UK one) and I'll get 1 weeks CoverDrone insurance.

Does that sound like a plan everyone?

Thanks for this @DiscoverSpain

I think I'll proceed on the basis that EU registration is required (the equivalent of the UK flyer ID and Operator ID), the EU operator ID is affixed to the Drone (alongside the UK one) and I'll get 1 weeks CoverDrone insurance.

Does that sound like a plan everyone?

If you don't forget to take the A1 exam, it sounds perfect.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Spain.

It has been a pleasure to help you!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karthikeyan103