DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What settings for editing 4k video in Davinci Resolve

scmark58

Reactions
Recently upgrade from Mavic 2 Zoom to Mavic 3. Love the drone but I can't seem to figure out the correct video settings to be able to bring 4k video in Davinci Resolve 18. I have tried H.264 and H.265, changed from 24 to 30fps. When I try to drag video files into Resolve Media pool, nothing happens...like it doesn't recognize the format. I have played around with EaseFab, trying various output formats, but just can't seem to get it right. Shouldn't I be able to just drag the files into Resolve, without modifying them? Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can definitely drag and drop media files from DJI drones into Resolve. What file container are you working with? I use mp4 and haven't had any trouble.

My last attempt, I used 4K @ 30fps. D-Log, H.264 and MP4. Tried to drag into Media pool in Resolve and nothing happens

D-LOG I think is 10-bit, not sure if Resolve handles 10-bit without a plugin? Taking a shot in the dark here..

D-LOG I think is 10-bit, not sure if Resolve handles 10-bit without a plugin? Taking a shot in the dark here..
Macinfo,
Thanks for the response. I am able to set the video bit depth, in Resolve, to 10 bit and it doesn't say that I need a plugin or that I need to purchase Resolve Studio...

Macinfo,
Thanks for the response. I am able to set the video bit depth, in Resolve, to 10 bit and it doesn't say that I need a plugin or that I need to purchase Resolve Studio...
There are several different files on the SD card after you record video. Are you sure you are actually importing the video MP4 files?

The way to test to see if its because of the 10 bit file, is to use Handbrake to convert it to another format and then see if it imports, if it does, Resolve may need to be a paid version or require something to open the files..

Reactions: maggior
Reactions: maggior
So I think I figured out how to get it into Resolve. I did a test of recording just a few seconds of video (on the ground), changing settings between each shot. I kept it at 4k and 24fps and tried changing different settings. With D-Log/H.264 and Normal/H.264/CBR, the files still wouldn't load in Resolve. But six other combinations worked. The ones that worked: Normal/H.264/VBR, HLG/H.264, D-Log/H.265/CBR, Normal/H.265/VBR, Normal/H.265/CBR and HLG/H.265/CBR. Of the six settings that worked, what would be the "best" for video quality?

Here's a good offer they have been running for some time now. Davinci Resolve Studio with the speed editor for $295. Using the speed editor in the cut page really makes things easy and quite frankly fun. Real simple to use the circular knob to preview your footage. Set in and out points and send the subclip to the timeline. You can go through a stack of clips in a hurry and assemble the footage you want. Studio has a lot of wonderful features that the free version doesn't obviously and unlike Adobe, you won't have a monthly subscription. You buy it, you own it. All updates are free.

So I think I figured out how to get it into Resolve. I did a test of recording just a few seconds of video (on the ground), changing settings between each shot. I kept it at 4k and 24fps and tried changing different settings. With D-Log/H.264 and Normal/H.264/CBR, the files still wouldn't load in Resolve. But six other combinations worked. The ones that worked: Normal/H.264/VBR, HLG/H.264, D-Log/H.265/CBR, Normal/H.265/VBR, Normal/H.265/CBR and HLG/H.265/CBR. Of the six settings that worked, what would be the "best" for video quality?
It all depends..."Best" depends a lot on the skill of the editor, the source for the video, the intended use and so on.

Give you an example: I have a high quality 4K TV. If I compare 1080P material to 4K, coded from good 4K clips, I don't see much of a difference, regardless of viewing distance. So what's the "best" for me? I've even coded and compared various bit rates using Resolve Studio. I need to go waaay down to even notice a difference. However, other sources, such as fast moving action, might have different results, due to the way MP4 encodes.
See where I'm going? And I haven't even touched on color grading...

The cleanest way to get Resolve to load and play correctly is to re-encode the DJI files to a standard constant frame rate file. ProRes 222 on the Mac is a good choice.

Having followed these discussions & tutorials on the Blackmagic Resolve forum, I fully understand your problem. There isn’t a right & wrong way. For me I’m always mixing drone clips with other media including BMPCC4K Braw. So the first recommendation is make yr Project Settings for the best quality clips, in my case BRAW. But it doesn’t do any harm to do this regardless of yr clips. My settings as follows ( but u must also set yr timeline settings etc)
1 - Color Management. DaVinci Resolve color management, uncheck automatic color management, set HDR DaVinci wide gamut interm., output to rec 709.
2 - under raw set whatever u normally use. I don’t shot propres so not sure what the best raw setting would be if u shot propres on M3cine. But generally I believe ARRI is the best generic setting for starters.
3 - you can leave settings Like this and DR will recognize different source material automatically. However if yr M3 clips don’t look good, right mouse on the clip in the Media pool and select Input Color Space & u’ll see rec2100 HLG, this works nicely for HLG. Theres also a DJI d log setting

I don't know what I am missing here. I have an Air 2S and have shot video at 4K with and without Dlog. On my Windows 11 machine I just drag and drop the file on the sd card, loaded on a usb stick, into Divinci Resolve 18 free version.

I don't know what I am missing here. I have an Air 2S and have shot video at 4K with and without Dlog. On my Windows 11 machine I just drag and drop the file on the sd card, loaded on a usb stick, into Divinci Resolve 18 free version.
Your missing that different versions of DLOG or D-Cinelike, create 10-bit files, not 8-bit files, which Resolve does not handle it appears unless you have a paid version.

Your missing that different versions of DLOG or D-Cinelike, create 10-bit files, not 8-bit files, which Resolve does not handle it appears unless you have a paid version.
I am able to edit in 10 bit mode with the free version but I record in h.265 mode. This may be the reason I never saw the problem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User