DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What size MicroSD card to use for MPP?

What size MicroSD card should I get?

• Total voters

brad_rector

Reactions
One question I thought about was the size of the MicroSD card everyone is using? I plan on mostly shooting videos in 4K with occasional 2.7K with 3 batteries of usage per flight.. What is everyone using for card sizes? Also, any preference on brand? I've been leaning towards Samsung.

I use a Sandisk ultra 128 gb and I have never filled it up or had any problem with it at all. I know a lot of guys on here don't like Sandisk, but I am a die hard believer in them. I had one in a small camera once that I used when I was kayaking. I dropped it in salt water once. The camera was shot of course, but I took the card out, rinsed it in fresh water, dried it off and I was able to retrieve everything I had off of it and it and none of the files had errors.

I have 16gb (supplied) 4x 64gb & 2x 128gb
All lexar 16 & 64 x633 128 x1000

They now have x1800

I got lexar as that's what dji provided & got stung by sandisk by that bad batch 5 years ago I think

I found my 128 on Amazon for less than $50. Which it was one of those deals of the day my wife saw. I think regular price they were $89. It is the Extreme Pro

Reactions: brad_rector
You know that Lexar that came with my MP, I can't get it out of the dang thing without using tweezers. It won't eject out. Which it goes in a little tight to begin with. It has been like that from day 1, so I just don't use it. Have a dozen or so Sandisk 32s that I use in my GoPros and that is what I used until I got the 128.

Well I will say I do have a 256GB Samsung Evo + that I got with my phone, but I'd like to get one smaller maybe a 64GB which they are pretty cheap now.

Reactions: phoenix3
I've always used SanDisk and have never had a problem, although my next purchase might be a Samsung because the reviews on them have been so consistently good.

Lexar has been discontinued, so if you want a Lexar get one while they're still around.

The Mavic officially supports cards up to 64GB, but some people seem to be able to use bigger cards. I'm not sure whether that's dependent on the brand of card or not.

I've always used SanDisk and have never had a problem, although my next purchase might be a Samsung because the reviews on them have been so consistently good.

Lexar has been discontinued, so if you want a Lexar get one while they're still around.

The Mavic officially supports cards up to 64GB, but some people seem to be able to use bigger cards. I'm not sure whether that's dependent on the brand of card or not.
I just purchased a 64GB Samsung Evo Select because of the read/write speeds for the 4K video. It was $22.99 from Amazon.

I recently educated myself on this somewhat and I think the most important factor is the write and read speed of the card. I am now generally looking for those that have a rating of U3. Samsung has a 64 gb U3 for around 30 bucks I recently bought and it works well. Though I’ve had Sandisks without problem.

I think 4 x 32gb cards is better than 1 x 128gb. Unless you have unlimited batteries and not annoyed by the 4gig-file-split and like to keep all your footage in 1 basket then get the 256gb card.
I have multiple backup cards, 1 taped to my ipad, 1 in the backpack, 1 taped to the controller and 1 in my S7edge. Nothing worse then being on holidays, on a semi remote island and freaking out because you left your 256gb in the PC at home. Now imagine if you haven't backed up your mavic vids in weeks and your Mavic is 8km off shore with 25% battery..

1GB = approx 2 min of 4K
32GB = about 1 hour of 4K footage = 4 or 5 Batteries recording non-stop.

And
256GB = 8 hours @ 4K.

Last edited:
I'd just get another 16GB, they are cheap. With the one that came w/ the drone you'll have 2. Are you going to ever get into a point where you fill both up for 32GB of files before you get back to a PC to unload them? If so go bigger, if not then just go cheap and call it a day. The vast majority of us would not need that much.

A bonus with dual cards is having one in your bag at all times, just in case you take the other out of the drone and leave it in your PC the next time you head out.

Tbh the reason I got so many was because I went traveling and also have a gopro

Also we have 2x dslr's and with an adapter the cards could be used in them

I also got 2x 3tb wd my passport wireless pro
1 set to auto copy and the other to auto move

in 3 months it was 1.2tb of pictures and video

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member