DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What strobe light(s) are you using to improve daytime visibility on your Air 2S?

AtomQ

Reactions
I have read several of the strobe light discussions here but I haven't been able to nail down what is the best way to use a strobe light (or lights) to improve visibility during the day. The article linked from this post says that the Firehouse Arc V can be seen from the ground when the strobe is mounted on the top but it seems like it would be better on the arms.

My local drone store sells the Firehouse Arc XL which I assume attaches to the top of the drone. Is this the way to go or should I look into the ones that attach to the arms? I have an Air 2S. If you have a really good experience with daytime visibility on your Air 2S, I would love to know what you are using.

Thanks!

I have read several of the strobe light discussions here but I haven't been able to nail down what is the best way to use a strobe light (or lights) to improve visibility during the day. The article linked from this post says that the Firehouse Arc V can be seen from the ground when the strobe is mounted on the top but it seems like it would be better on the arms.

My local drone store sells the Firehouse Arc XL which I assume attaches to the top of the drone. Is this the way to go or should I look into the ones that attach to the arms? I have an Air 2S. If you have a really good experience with daytime visibility on your Air 2S, I would love to know what you are using.

Thanks!
I don't use strobes but the ones that attach on the top won't really help visibility for someone underneath it. Maybe from the side, but I'm assuming you won't need extra visibility from underneath. For me personally, I prefer the ones on the top because it's easier to see from all directions (except underneath of course) and it's usable at night for airlines, etc. The ones on the arms aren't the best since you won't see them unless the drone is pointing at you or if it's an omnidirectional strobe. Also, I'm wary of anything that attaches to the arm of my drone, and they usually tend to be cumbersome to put on and take off. I'm not sure if I'm making sense.

I've tried 3 different strobes in different colours in varying positions with no real success. I guess my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I don't even bother putting them on now.
Regards

Attachments

• 20211003_210223.jpg
    20211003_210223.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • 20211003_210216.jpg
    20211003_210216.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 81
If you want daytime visibility, go with good quality white led strobes, white is by far the best for longer range visibility.

The Air2S isn't a small drone, nor a large one.
I have an M1P (original Mavic Pro) a little larger than your drone, I use FHT ARCII strobes, the 4 led white for daytime / dusk visibility.

I feel for sure best bang for buck strobes.
Powerful, small, lightweight . . . and easy to mount with velcro tabs, or with arm mounts by forum member @Aerial-Pixel (EDIT whoops it's @msinger that does the mounts, as below) or others on the market.

Last edited:
Out of interest I just had a look at the strobes @pnovotny posted above, they look pretty good too, a little larger than the ARCII, the VIFLY looks about double the size of the FHT ARCII strobe, but 5 LEDs should be as bright as the ARCIIs if decent LEDs have been used.

The ARCII for size (circa postage stamp) are 600 lumen, what annoys me is there is nothing in the VIFLY strobe info that gives that important data, makes me a little suspicious.

My local drone store sells the Firehouse Arc XL which I assume attaches to the top of the drone. Is this the way to go or should I look into the ones that attach to the arms? I have an Air 2S.
Here's a list of commonly used strobe lights:
Some of the Firehouse lights are pretty large -- which limits the locations where they can be mounted. I prefer smaller lights that can be mounted on the arms like this:

Some of the Firehouse lights are pretty large -- which limits the locations where they can be mounted. I prefer smaller lights that can be mounted on the arms like this:
How are these when you fold the drone or do you need to remove them whenever you want to fold the arms in?

Out of interest I just had a look at the strobes @pnovotny posted above, they look pretty good too, a little larger than the ARCII, the VIFLY looks about double the size of the FHT ARCII strobe, but 5 LEDs should be as bright as the ARCIIs if decent LEDs have been used.

The ARCII for size (circa postage stamp) are 600 lumen, what annoys me is there is nothing in the VIFLY strobe info that gives that important data, makes me a little suspicious.
@MAvic_South_Oz it's actually 3 white LEDs and two red/green on the VIFLY. I can't say how they compare to the ARCII because I haven't had a chance to try them...

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I use the Firehouse ARC V and the mounts they sell for the Air 2s and the Phantom 4

Last edited:
Reactions: Mugginz and MA2 317
do you need to remove them whenever you want to fold the arms in?
Rear mounts need to be removed since the arms rotate when folded. It takes about 2 seconds to attach/remove them.

@MAvic_South_Oz it's actually 3 white LEDs and two red/green on the VIFLY. I can't say how they compare to the ARCII because I haven't had a chance to try them...
The VIFLY lights are really nice (bright and small). If using the white lights, they appear to be just as bright as Firehouse lights to my eye. They have high ratings here on Amazon too.

The VIFLY lights are really nice (bright and small). If using the white lights, they appear to be just as bright as Firehouse lights to my eye. They have high ratings here on Amazon too.
Do the ViFLY lights attach securely to the front drone arms with the velcro or do I need to find a 3D printed mount for them? Thanks!

Ah, might be the reason they don't quote lumen, not sure.

FHT ARCII have 4 white led, so I think they might have a slight edge to 3 white.

Either way, one isn't going to get 3mi out of any of the drone strobes, it's more for reasonable VLOS (day or night) to a distance one can actually be aware of, and react to, any manned aircraft that come along.

Since I started with a Spark drone, I purchased about six of the smaller Firehouse strobes that are wrapped in shrink wrap and I've had a few fail on me due to the circuit board flexing a bit when attaching and removing with a Velcro type fastener over time.

I pulled the trigger (again) and purchased another set of strobes that work well for me and the MA2.

A four pack of ARC V's and strobe mounts purchased separately from Aerial-Pixel allows me to have a strobe on each arm of the MA2.

The ARC V's are in a plastic case and not shrink wrapped to help protect the flexing of the circuit board.

I use the strobes during the day BUT I fly below the tree line at times and it helps me locate the MA2 when it blends in with the background of trees or whatever.

Red and green on the front, two whites on the back provides location AND orientation when flying low.

My two cents worth ... :)

Reactions: RJCRNA
Do the ViFLY lights attach securely to the front drone arms with the velcro
VIFLY lights come with a small strip of Velcro.

I have the 2S and really like the Firehouse Strobe. I can see it clearly at ground level using a mount I 3D printed at home. It extended my VLOS vertical & horizontally. I have updated the mount slightly and ended up using black duel lock tape. It mounts quickly , is very light weight and definitely won't fall off.

I recently bought the Firehouse Arc II strobes (white lights only), 2-light kit, with arm mounts from Aerial-Pixel ($20). I bought the red arm mounts to make them easier to find when I drop them in the grass if the lights aren't on🤣. I really like the visibilty of the lights and my spotter said they really help. I put them on the front arms only, but I'm thinking about getting another one to put on the belly of my drone (M2P) to help when it's closer in, but high up. The lights on the arms make it easier to see when it's out a ways. Hope this helps your decision.

Thanks!
I have the Firehouse ARC V and the mounts they sell specific for the drone on their site. Very good day or night. Mounts are 3D printed but good quality. Not the smallest available but a solid build.

I fly DJI Mini 2s, and I have butt-mounted strobes on all of them (the back side of the battery cover). It works well out to about 1000 ft in the daytime. It's the basic Firehouse ARC.

I reviewed all of the links above, and it seems like the distances they quote are all *NIGHT* visibility distances.

Are there any readily available strobes that will give me *daytime* visibility greater than 1000 ft?

And, I'm looking for HUMAN visibility! Anyone who can see something the size of a Mini 2 at 1000 *meters*, is a mutant!

Thx,

TCS

Reactions: orionshooter
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada