DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to buy ?

Pacefast

Reactions
I am a corporate jet Captain and new to flying drones! I bought a cheap snd cheerful drone for very little money and now ready to move up !
I have some commercial work for the drone and was in a dilemma between the Mavic mini 3 pro and Mavic 3 Classic !
Now my choices Mini 3 pro, Air 2S with Smart RC ? ( used) or big investment Mavic 3 Pro ?
I am fairly new and do not want to lose $2000 of drone in the Mavic 3 Pro !
I could buy a good condition Air 2 S for less than 1/2 price

@Pacefast well at this time the only real choice here in the UK is going to be the Mini 3 pro
thats if you require the most freedom of areas where it can be flown in the open category
the Mavic 3 if you want to be able to fly it in any sort of built up areas ,without distance and overflight restrictions,will require you to obtain your GVC certificate
this should be fairly easy for you as you already have the knowledge required because of your job

Get the best you can afford. Technology changes rapidly, so don't buy old technology. Whatever you buy you will learn to adapt to it's capabilities.
Concerned about losing your drone, the best option is to learn how to use it so you don't make any pilot errors. Also purchase loss insurance if you expect to make an avoidable crash.
What do you really need for photographs or videos? What do you already do with photography?
You could also download manuals for those drones you are considering so you can evaluate options.

Avoid the Mini 3 Pro , as and go with the Air 2S , its a nice sweet spot , some great accessories as well as some pro software to work with if needed. its enough to get you fully immersed into Business if you choose .

If things go well and your hooked, than skip the Classic and go with the Mavic 3 Pro .
The Mavic 3 Classic and the Air 2S are to close for the Price Difference.

The only downside is you Sacrifice some Extra Air Time.
Most shoot the same video to long anyway. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

Reactions: Mavikhan
@Pacefast well at this time the only real choice here in the UK is going to be the Mini 3 pro
thats if you require the most freedom of areas where it can be flown in the open category
the Mavic 3 if you want to be able to fly it in any sort of built up areas ,without distance and overflight restrictions,will require you to obtain your GVC certificate
this should be fairly easy for you as you already have the knowledge required because of your job
I have done the A2 c of c which should cover the Mavic 3 pro for the commercial work I need ! My main
concern with the mini 3 pro is its less wind capable ! Thanks for help

Avoid the Mini 3 Pro , as and go with the Air 2S , its a nice sweet spot , some great accessories as well as some pro software to work with if needed. its enough to get you fully immersed into Business if you choose .

If things go well and your hooked, than skip the Classic and go with the Mavic 3 Pro .
The Mavic 3 Classic and the Air 2S are to close for the Price Difference.

The only downside is you Sacrifice some Extra Air Time.
Most shoot the same video to long anyway. lol

Phantomrain.org
As a new owner of a Mini 3 Pro ( happy with it so far) and an experienced commercial Helicopter pilot for 25 years I thought I'd done my due diligence before purchasing. I'd be interested in your rationale in discouraging the OP from purchasing one.

As a new owner of a Mini 3 Pro ( happy with it so far) and an experienced commercial Helicopter pilot for 25 years I thought I'd done my due diligence before purchasing. I'd be interested in your rationale in discouraging the OP from purchasing one.

I would be too. I'm not a professional or private pilot, but I've have my mini 3 Pro for a couple months now, and I'm extremely happy with it. Size, noise level and quality of the video are all impressive.

One thing that seems to be becoming more important is the "annoyance" factor. The Mini 3 is so quiet, you can't even hear it once it is a short ways away. Certainly a FAR cry from some of the earlier "bee swarm" drones that you could hear a long ways away. It is one of the things I like best about it, and one I was not expecting.

Not so much the wind but the weak gimbal .
The fact that it has no internal fan is just annoying and if you do over heat while flying its going to force land on you.

The fact that you really cannot afford to get caught in the Rain for more than about 30 Seconds without a Wet Suit makes
it the Weakest Drone in the Rain . The Sensor will burn out and the drone will need a new main board.

Its because of this I just cannot recommend it over other more capable and quality drones .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. land on the Water .

@Pacefast ,yes i have the A2 C of C and it does allow you to fly in the A2 sub category of the open category ,but this does not include intentional overflight of people or built up areas(that privilege is only for sub 250g drones in the A1 sub category ) ,but no closer than 50m ,and 30m for take off and landing
also the legacy drone transitional period is due to end in December 2025 and then all legacy drones will have to fly in the A3 sub category of the open category no closer than 150m and no overflight of people dwellings or built up areas also the A2 C of C will cease to exist after that date ,or until the current expiratory date of the one that is now held ,mine finishes in November 2025
this of course can all change with time ,depending on the outcome of the ongoing CAA review of the open category now taking place

Not so much the wind but the weak gimbal .
The fact that it has no internal fan is just annoying and if you do over heat while flying its going to force land on you.

The fact that you really cannot afford to get caught in the Rain for more than about 30 Seconds without a Wet Suit makes
it the Weakest Drone in the Rain . The Sensor will burn out and the drone will need a new main board.

Its because of this I just cannot recommend it over other more capable and quality drones .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. land on the Water .
I'm confused, ( but that comes easily for me) as you stated above that the Mini 3 Pro has a " weak gimbal" , but then in the Mini3 Pro wetsuit video on your website you are singing the praises of how well the camera performs in the rain? I'm probably missing something here.

Also, is the heat " issue" really an issue? In my extensive research before my purchase I found it can overheat while on the bench updating firmware, but a desk fan easily cures that problem, so again, not wanting to start a pissing match here, I'd really be interested in your sources and/ or experiences where an overheated Mini3Pro force landed. I'm not trying to justify my purchase here, but rather wanting to learn from more experienced owners if I need to be concerned about and how to avoid a sudden forced landing.

I'd really be interested in your sources and/ or experiences where an overheated Mini3Pro force landed
Haven't seen anyone talking about this one. I don't think it's a common issue for any current DJI consumer drone.

I have done the A2 c of c which should cover the Mavic 3 pro for the commercial work I need ! My main
concern with the mini 3 pro is its less wind capable ! Thanks for help
The wind handling capability of the Mini 3 Pro is it's only reay downside. I would take it over the Air2s anyday. You might also consider the Mavic 3 (original) I love mine, it had been a reliable and capable workhorse.

Reactions: Anthonydotcom
Me "I'm new to driving cars, which should I consider. A Mazda Miata, or"

This thread "BUY A FERRARI".

lol. Seriously though, you can find really good deal's on Mavic 3's with the DJI RC used right now for less than a new classic with the basic rc. Arguments for the Mini 3 pro. It's dang near inaudible once it's 10-15 meters away, and it's extremely small which makes it easy to take on the go.

The Air 2s the goldilocks of the three. Great imaging, but still compact and extremely affordable especially on the secondhand market. The Air2s is also extremely capable in high winds but it's not as good as the M3.

The Mavic 3 used with one battery is around $200 more than an air2s with the fly more combo. Like I mentioned before the Mavic 3 used costs less than a new classic. I don't see myself using the 7x zoom often but it's nice to know that it's there and that I didn't have to pay more for it. The 3x zoom in the pro looks awesome, but not $700 more awesome IMO (used M3 vs New M3 Pro).

Reactions: JDubyaM
I'm confused, ( but that comes easily for me) as you stated above that the Mini 3 Pro has a " weak gimbal" , but then in the Mini3 Pro wetsuit video on your website you are singing the praises of how well the camera performs in the rain? I'm probably missing something here.

Also, is the heat " issue" really an issue? In my extensive research before my purchase I found it can overheat while on the bench updating firmware, but a desk fan easily cures that problem, so again, not wanting to start a pissing match here, I'd really be interested in your sources and/ or experiences where an overheated Mini3Pro force landed. I'm not trying to justify my purchase here, but rather wanting to learn from more experienced owners if I need to be concerned about and how to avoid a sudden forced landing.

I live on the lake , wind is a constant for most of my flights and the drone handles the wind just fine but the camera is easily compromised as the Gimbal is weak.

Overheating is an issue , that is why they made the mini fans that strap on to help with that.
Knowing that if for whatever reason as we have tested the drone over heats in the air, it will force land.

This makes it more stressful for those of us who push the drone in the wind , and this is why I could not make the Rescue Jacket for the Mini 3 because I could not take the chance of a force landing.

Phantomrain.org

Reactions: Anthonydotcom

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC