DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to charge for real estate pics/vids

JohnnyD913

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Got my first gig today and don’t know what to charge.
A contractor I know likes some pics and vids
I made of one of his remodels..
I have three houses to do and each in varying stages of work..

He wants b4, during, and after shots.
I assume he will use these when the houses go on the market..

What would a fair price be to do like 20 pics and a 5 min video that will be edited down to
Two 30 second clips?
Thank u

Johnny, been a lot of recent threads about this, some of the search results for > charge real estate job < might be a good start.
Check the US ones obviously, but even there it might vary a lot from state to state, and economy in various areas / cities etc.

I personally think the whole thing is up to what the pilot is happy with, in regards to time and working through to a decent desired income over a year.
Also have to consider real hours available, editing, overheads, travel / fuel, equipment replacement long term, and so on.

If you can go and shoot 3 houses in one go, 3 or 4 times during the overall shoot, then that will give you some scope to spread the savings.

Also consider is this going to be done over 2 or 3 months, or whatever ?
If so, you might want to consider asking for a progress payment monthly after a each shoot, or you'll be waiting perhaps too long for income.

Good luck with the job and client.

Johnny, been a lot of recent threads about this, some of the search results for > charge real estate job < might be a good start.
Check the US ones obviously, but even there it might vary a lot from state to state, and economy in various areas / cities etc.

I personally think the whole thing is up to what the pilot is happy with, in regards to time and working through to a decent desired income over a year.
Also have to consider real hours available, editing, overheads, travel / fuel, equipment replacement long term, and so on.

If you can go and shoot 3 houses in one go, 3 or 4 times during the overall shoot, then that will give you some scope to spread the savings.

Also consider is this going to be done over 2 or 3 months, or whatever ?
If so, you might want to consider asking for a progress payment monthly after a each shoot, or you'll be waiting perhaps too long for income.

Good luck with the job and client.
Thank you for the link and info..
What u say makes perfect sense.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I might start by just asking him what budget he had for your services. You could bill him hourly whether it be for flying time or editing. Let’s face it, you have a lot of money invested in your tools, and then your talent. Then do the math. This will give you a good guidelines going forward. Good luck!

Reactions: JohnnyD913
I do not do any paid work, so this is just a side observation. Taking the pics/video with the drone is pretty straightforward and easily accounted for= you were on site for 3.5 hours so the billed time is 3.5 hours.

Post processing video (editing) can become very time consuming. At least for a rookie like myself. It is a rabbit hole unless you do it on a regular basis. Depending on requirements, if there is audio/music needed that alone takes time to find the right music and money in the cost of copyright fees or music services.

If it were me I would offer them two ways but maybe this isn't how commercial pilots do it stateside?? I would say 1. raw, unedited footage to include XX pics and XX mins of video is $$. Option 2 is a XX minute video with basic titles and background music all edited and ready to post at X resolution. Make up an information sheet for them to fill out with title, notes they want on the video in text, views required, etc.

Must also factor in a percentage of your costs (insurance for one) so you can make it a worthwhile venture.

anyway, good luck!

I might start by just asking him what budget he had for your services. You could bill him hourly whether it be for flying time or editing. Let’s face it, you have a lot of money invested in your tools, and then your talent. Then do the math. This will give you a good guidelines going forward. Good luck!
Thank u for your time and advice..

I do not do any paid work, so this is just a side observation. Taking the pics/video with the drone is pretty straightforward and easily accounted for= you were on site for 3.5 hours so the billed time is 3.5 hours.

Post processing video (editing) can become very time consuming. At least for a rookie like myself. It is a rabbit hole unless you do it on a regular basis. Depending on requirements, if there is audio/music needed that alone takes time to find the right music and money in the cost of copyright fees or music services.

If it were me I would offer them two ways but maybe this isn't how commercial pilots do it stateside?? I would say 1. raw, unedited footage to include XX pics and XX mins of video is $$. Option 2 is a XX minute video with basic titles and background music all edited and ready to post at X resolution. Make up an information sheet for them to fill out with title, notes they want on the video in text, views required, etc.

Must also factor in a percentage of your costs (insurance for one) so you can make it a worthwhile venture.

anyway, good luck!

very good advice Dakarenduro..
I thank you for your time and advice as
Well..
Btw, do you ride/ race dirt bikes cause your name seems to imply it..

myself I raced motocross on amateur level from
1983-2005.
Love it but pay the price every morning..
Lol

yep, I do mainly long distance rally races. I'm deployed to Dakar, Senegal (West Africa) which is the heart of these type of races. Lots of races in or thru Morocco.

Longest one so far was Spain to Dakar, along the original Dakar Rally routes. 14 days, 6000+kms all off road. Epic.

yep, I do mainly long distance rally races. I'm deployed to Dakar, Senegal (West Africa) which is the heart of these type of races. Lots of races in or thru Morocco.

Longest one so far was Spain to Dakar, along the original Dakar Rally routes. 14 days, 6000+kms all off road. Epic.

yes I’ve heard of these. WOW is my thinking..
Long ways across I guess mostly desert..
That’s awesome bud but most IMPORTANTLY
Is A HUGE THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE..

Reactions: InterstateP
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121