DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to clean with?

JohnnyD913

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hey forum,
I used a tire shine On my mavic pro in hopes of cleaning it and giving it that “ NEW WETish”
Look..
Well instead I have what appears to be tiny spots all over my controller and Mavic.
I tried to clean it off with alcohol pad to no
Avail..
I hope I haven’t permanently discolored it..
Any suggestions?
I included pics..IMG_0362.JPGIMG_0362.JPG

Hey forum,
I used a tire shine On my mavic pro in hopes of cleaning it and giving it that “ NEW WETish”
Look..
Well instead I have what appears to be tiny spots all over my controller and Mavic.
I tried to clean it off with alcohol pad to no
Avail..
I hope I haven’t permanently discolored it..
Any suggestions?
I included pics..View attachment 102799View attachment 102800
Never use products with mineral spirits as they will likely react with the plastic. If you really want to add gloss to plastics and vinyls the only product that I have used safely for years is Armorall. It is excellent for car interiors, exterior trims, dashboard, door and ceiling linings, etc. It also protects from sun damage, especially useful on the dash. It may restore your Mavic but you will probably have those marks permanently, now. Try some Armorall on the underside first - and use the rest on your car! Good luck!

Reactions: WanderingSpirit
Thank you
Never use products with mineral spirits as they will likely react with the plastic. If you really want to add gloss to plastics and vinyls the only product that I have used safely for years is Armorall. It is excellent for car interiors, exterior trims, dashboard, door and ceiling linings, etc. It also protects from sun damage, especially useful on the dash. It may restore your Mavic but you will probably have those marks permanently, now. Try some Armorall on the underside first - and use the rest on your car! Good luck!
Thank you.
I will try armor all.
That’s why I used the tire shine cause it is close to same as armor all..
Or so I thought..
Lol

Tyre shine is for rubber, not plastic or vinyl. If you try some on your car plastic trim, you will see that it does not take. It dries unevenly and it tends to flake or react. Those are the reactive chemicals - it is designed for rubber. I think the Armorall may help to conceal the spots on your drone. Let the first coat dry and do another couple; it may build up a sheen. Most plastics advise using nothing but a damp cloth and no detergents, either, but I think the Armorall should be okay, having used it for about 35 years on my cars! It is the best out there, for protecting from the sun and to add a new gloss look to the surface. Just don’t spray it near the drone - put it on a soft cloth and wipe it over the surfaces. And keep clear of the gimbal lens and the various sensors. A cotton bud is good for fine detailing around those. Good luck! ? (And, no, I don’t have shares in Armorall ?)

Reactions: JohnnyD913
Tyre shine is for rubber, not plastic or vinyl. If you try some on your car plastic trim, you will see that it does not take. It dries unevenly and it tends to flake or react. Those are the reactive chemicals - it is designed for rubber. I think the Armorall may help to conceal the spots on your drone. Let the first coat dry and do another couple; it may build up a sheen. Most plastics advise using nothing but a damp cloth and no detergents, either, but I think the Armorall should be okay, having used it for about 35 years on my cars! It is the best out there, for protecting from the sun and to add a new gloss look to the surface. Just don’t spray it near the drone - put it on a soft cloth and wipe it over the surfaces. And keep clear of the gimbal lens and the various sensors. A cotton bud is good for fine detailing around those. Good luck! ? (And, no, I don’t have shares in Armorall ?)
Your EXACTLY RIGHT!!
I never thought about the rubber part..
Duhhhhh..
Lol..
Seriously thank you very much for your advice.

maybe we ought to have you try out for
A Armor All spokesperson..
Lol

Your EXACTLY RIGHT!!
I never thought about the rubber part..
Duhhhhh..
Lol..
Seriously thank you very much for your advice.

maybe we ought to have you try out for
A Armor All spokesperson..
Lol
Thanks - I hope it helps as I can imagine how you are feeling with your nice drone getting marked. Your photos were very clear - you can zoom in and see where the plastic has almost dissolved in the tiny specs. That was the chemical doing its damage. You were lucky that it did not make the whole surface go soft and sticky - some plastics really break down. That would have been a total disaster! Cheers.

Thanks - I hope it helps as I can imagine how you are feeling with your nice drone getting marked. Your photos were very clear - you can zoom in and see where the plastic has almost dissolved in the tiny specs. That was the chemical doing its damage. You were lucky that it did not make the whole surface go soft and sticky - some plastics really break down. That would have been a total disaster! Cheers.
Hey DavidT_NZ,
I zoomed in like you said and got sick at my stomach nearly...
You can absolutely see the chemical damage..
That’s what I get for trying to short-cut..
Thanks again for Everything
JohnnyD913

Hey DavidT_NZ,
I zoomed in like you said and got sick at my stomach nearly...
You can absolutely see the chemical damage..
That’s what I get for trying to short-cut..
Thanks again for Everything
JohnnyD913
Cheers JD - if the Armorall helps conceal the damage, let me know. I am thinking of coating my own Air 2, now that we have discussed the topic. But I will test a small concealed area first ..... ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder