DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to Observe when Buying a Used Drone?

Emanáku

Reactions
I am about to buy a used drone. But I want to make sure it is not stolen or other irregularities "in the background".

I live in South America. A travelling photographer offers a Mavic Mini Fly More Combo for 350 USD ("not used very much"). I have an MM, but a second one would provide me with hard to get spare parts including 3 batteries (which cost here - when available at all - around 70-90 USD each).

Is there a way to verify (e.g. with the serial number) that the drone is not stolen.... ?
Any hints are very welcome! Thank you!

The problem with any "used" (high-power) item (cars/drones/laptops) are the rechargeable batteries...in this case LiOn/LiPO based batteries. You don't know how they have been cycled/stored/whatever. My point is, even if you can find everything else in excellent condition, I would still go for new batteries. For this reason (and also to guarantee the drone had never been "registered"), I ended up with a "sealed/open box" drone...and purchased additional batteries/accessories new. Asking folks for serial numbers/battery data/etc. is problematic. YMMV.

I can't speak for the cost of goods in Peru, but at this moment I wouldn't buy a Mini 1, used or new at any price. The Mini 2 is being released as we speak, is greatly improved over the Mini 1 and will sell for the same price. They probably won't use the same batteries but the Mini batteries only cost $35 USD (not sure about Peru) which compared to other DJI batteries is really cheap.

Reactions: Emanáku
I can't speak for the cost of goods in Peru, but at this moment I wouldn't buy a Mini 1, used or new at any price. The Mini 2 is being released as we speak, is greatly improved over the Mini 1 and will sell for the same price. They probably won't use the same batteries but the Mini batteries only cost $35 USD (not sure about Peru) which compared to other DJI batteries is really cheap.
Well. I disagree with that statement. Now is the moment to buy a Mavic Mini 1 for a great price.
Now, going back to the OP question. I will check the batteries to make sure they charge well and balance well. You can even go to Airdata and upload a flight log and will tell you the battery conditions. Make sure they have at least 90% of life. I just sold my Mavic Mini with 24-24-19 circles on the 3 batteries and still holding %98-%99 of charge.

The IRN 18650 Samsung batteries that the Mavic Mini use are rated to over 500 cycles and on top of that are very cheap. There are data sheets proven that after 300 cycles the batteries still hold over 85% of the capacity and that is pretty good. To give you an idea, Tesla was using those batteries before they switch to the 21700.

Last edited:
Since you already have a Mini and this will presumably be a face to face purchase after which the seller may 'disappear' I would insist on a good look at the drone and a substantial test flight before handing over cash etc. In fact it might be useful to see them fly it first to see what they do with it.
For what it is worth I always ask for serial numbers, batteries, drone, controller, total flight time on the drone amd the number of charge cycles on each battery. The serial numbers are for record keeping purposes but the flight time and charge cycles may give some indication of usage.

There are things you could check that might give an indication of usage, DAT file number (in the flight logs), photo name number but they are not realy convenient things to check at a sales meeting and the photo number is easily reset. From memory the DAT file number resets to either 0 or 1 at 99+1 so it isn't really a perfect counter

In your shoes I would favour a second hand mini combo over a new Mini 2 because, as you said, it would be a source of spares/additional controller & batteries.

All that said and bearing in mind where you are, how good is the 350USD price?

I am about to buy a used drone. But I want to make sure it is not stolen or other irregularities "in the background".

I live in South America. A travelling photographer offers a Mavic Mini Fly More Combo for 350 USD ("not used very much"). I have an MM, but a second one would provide me with hard to get spare parts including 3 batteries (which cost here - when available at all - around 70-90 USD each).

Is there a way to verify (e.g. with the serial number) that the drone is not stolen.... ?
Any hints are very welcome! Thank you!

The 350 price would have to be negotiable if not I would walk away. This will be a lot cheaper with the release of the mm2

The flight log will tell you everything you need to know. Will tell you how the sensors are working and if the drone has a malfunction. Will tell you Serial numbers and everything. Just upload the log to airdata.com and see the result.

Do a good inspection on props, drone chassis, cracks, marks, or any damage. Also, test the camera and gimbal to make sure everything is ok. Usually, the flylog will tell you if is something wrong with the gimbal as well.

The problem with any "used" (high-power) item (cars/drones/laptops) are the rechargeable batteries...in this case LiOn/LiPO based batteries. You don't know how they have been cycled/stored/whatever. My point is, even if you can find everything else in excellent condition, I would still go for new batteries. For this reason (and also to guarantee the drone had never been "registered"), I ended up with a "sealed/open box" drone...and purchased additional batteries/accessories new. Asking folks for serial numbers/battery data/etc. is problematic. YMMV.
Agree

a couple of screen shots from Airdata could answer a lot of questions. number of flights..last flight..details on last flight.

Reactions: Emanáku
I find it baffling at how quickly the general attitude towards "older drones" becomes as soon as a new one comes out. IMO the idea OP presents is fantastic; it would really lengthen the life of his Mini. Just be sure to diligently follow the advice above and inspect it with indiscriminate scrutiny.

I wouldn't mind another MM if someone were to not want theirs lol. Maybe its me but i have no personal interest (besides my affinity for drones in general) in the MM2. As someone else said in this forum "Im still having the MA2 party." No doubt it looks cool but for that price range might as well just wait for the " newly unreleased and unofficial DJI product"

I find it baffling at how quickly the general attitude towards "older drones" becomes as soon as a new one comes out. IMO the idea OP presents is fantastic; it would really lengthen the life of his Mini. Just be sure to diligently follow the advice above and inspect it with indiscriminate scrutiny.
For this reason I am watching ebay to see if the arrival of the Mini 2 will result in a glut of 2nd hand Mini '1' combo's and resultant depressed prices, if that happens I am likely to end up with a 2nd mini.
The only 'real' drone I have bought new is the Mini. Every other is 2nd or 3rd hand etc.

Wow, wow, wow!
I am really overwhelmed with all this good and profound advice (and also a bit intimidated, because after being a proud Mini owner for only 5 weeks, I have not very much experiences with the flight logs - the first one I uploaded was tonight :) ).
Many things are not easily available here in Peru when you need it. For most tech stuff you have to go to or contact somebody in Lima (1 hour flight from Cusco). Prices are about 30% higher (import tax plus VAT).
So if the used drone has three batteries in the range of 20 to 50 charges and everything else is ok, the 300 to 350 USD would have been a good deal on my side.

But the guy sold it to somebody else without even contacting me or cancelling our appointment (which was scheduled for today).
My feeling at the end was: ok, no problem :)

Thank you all for your valuable hints. I will come back to this thread in case there is another opportunity like this.

I am getting the feeling I might upgrade myself to a MA2 next year :) The missing 4K and maybe raw photos in the Mini 1 is really not the best situation. And the MA2 can fly up to 4000 meter, which would help a lot here in the mountains, too :)

Thank you, again!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom