DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What to put for part 107 account name when registering drone for hobby use?

black_magic100

Reactions
Also, what are the penalties for not registering your drone. I had no idea the law was overturned and you HAVE to even if only flying as a hobbyist.

edit: Ok i just used my first and last name and it brought me to my dashboard. Where do I purchase the $5 registration? I'm only seeing a place to register for a waiver or report an accident

edit2: figured it out. Where/how did you guys add the stupid registration number they give you. Can they seriously not just use the serial number...

Last edited:
I have a Brother label maker and I just printed out a label with the FAA registration number and placed it inside the battery compartment. I also printed a "reward if found" label with my phone number and placed it in the battery compartment also.

OP: Sounds like you figured it out? But at the FAADroneZone website, if you're registering as a hobbyist, you want to select bottom option to register yourself under Section 336.

upload_2018-2-26_20-48-32.png

The top Part 107 is only if you have obtained a remote pilot certificate from the FAA.

Under 336, you register yourself as a pilot for $5 and you will get a registration ID that you need to put on all of your aircraft < 55 lbs. If you were registering under 107 you would pay $5 for each aircraft and receive a separate ID for each aircraft.

As mentioned above, most people use a label printer and make a little label with the registration number. Since I fly under both 107 and 336 depending on the mission, my label has both IDs on it, along with my phone number just in case.

Good luck.

OP: Sounds like you figured it out? But at the FAADroneZone website, if you're registering as a hobbyist, you want to select bottom option to register yourself under Section 336.

View attachment 32281

The top Part 107 is only if you have obtained a remote pilot certificate from the FAA.

Under 336, you register yourself as a pilot for $5 and you will get a registration ID that you need to put on all of your aircraft < 55 lbs. If you were registering under 107 you would pay $5 for each aircraft and receive a separate ID for each aircraft.

As mentioned above, most people use a label printer and make a little label with the registration number. Since I fly under both 107 and 336 depending on the mission, my label has both IDs on it, along with my phone number just in case.

Good luck.
Uh oh. I registered it under part 107 because it said recreational use....

What do I do now?

If you click the circled ? to the right of the Register button, it brings up a page that describes the difference between the two (image attached). I think you want to re-register under 336 as a hobbyist. Otherwise, your 107 registration isn't valid without a remote pilot certificate (which you can get, but it's a little more involved, costs $150 to take a 60 question test, background check, etc.). You can maybe get your $5 back if you use the Contract link at the top right of the page.

upload_2018-2-27_6-0-6.png

If you click the circled ? to the right of the Register button, it brings up a page that describes the difference between the two (image attached). I think you want to re-register under 336 as a hobbyist. Otherwise, your 107 registration isn't valid without a remote pilot certificate (which you can get, but it's a little more involved, costs $150 to take a 60 question test, background check, etc.). You can maybe get your $5 back if you use the Contract link at the top right of the page.

View attachment 32286
If I cancel it will I be refunded. It doesn't say

Ok, this is me. I registered under 107, entered my serial number, got my number and attached it to my Mavic Pro 2 but now reading it appears I should have done 336 instead as I’m only a Hobbyist and have no intention or interest in taking the test for the remote pilot certificate. Nor do I really care about getting a refund for the 5 bucks.

Do I now just do a new registration under 336 and forget about the 107 and toss the number? Or can I cancel the 107 or convert it to 336?

When I did the 107 I set up a username and password. Can I use the same account for the 336 or do I need a new one too?

Ok, this is me. I registered under 107, entered my serial number, got my number and attached it to my Mavic Pro 2 but now reading it appears I should have done 336 instead as I’m only a Hobbyist and have no intention or interest in taking the test for the remote pilot certificate. Nor do I really care about getting a refund for the 5 bucks.

Do I now just do a new registration under 336 and forget about the 107 and toss the number? Or can I cancel the 107 or convert it to 336?

When I did the 107 I set up a username and password. Can I use the same account for the 336 or do I need a new one too?

To answer my own question, I guess. I logged into my FAA account and received this notice. I followed the bouncing ball, used my existing info - minus drone serial number, paid another $5 and then got a new Cert with a new number which I'll then put on my drone - replacing the 107 number.

Now my account shows two dashboards. I had thought about contacting them so see if I should deactivate or something but unless anybody here feels differently I guess I'll just ignore the 107 portion and let that expire with no additional action.

FAA 336.JPG FAA Dashboards.JPG

Now my account shows two dashboards. I had thought about contacting them so see if I should deactivate or something but unless anybody here feels differently I guess I'll just ignore the 107 portion and let that expire with no additional action.

View attachment 46012 View attachment 46013

You can click a button to cancel your Part 107 registration under the Inventory in the 107 panel.

Reactions: davesdronevids
I have a Brother label maker and I just printed out a label with the FAA registration number and placed it inside the battery compartment. I also printed a "reward if found" label with my phone number and placed it in the battery compartment also.
fyi it has to be on the outside, not in the battery compartment.

Reactions: MAVE (Little bird)
fyi it has to be on the outside, not in the battery compartment.
You are replying to a comment from 5 years ago, before the regulation was changed mandating an external label.

Reactions: MAVE (Little bird)
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun