DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What was your first computer?

Johnmcl7

Reactions
A follow up to the first camera thread I thought it would be interesting to share your first PC.

The very first computer I had experience with was the BBC Micro B which was an 8-bit system manufactured by Acorn Computing in the early 80's and powered by the popular MOS Technologies 6502:

These units were expensive and our school had just one of them which was shared among all the classes during the year so we'd get it for just two weeks in our class room. I remember the game we played had a set of weighing scales and it would have simple sums on one set of the scales and you'd have to work out which numbers to put on the other side to balance it.

These machines remained popular in the schools I went to for many years after due to being simple and durable, my Mum was a primary school teacher and kept a BBC Micro in her classroom with a programmable input board controller (not sure the proper name, you could place paper cut outs on it and players would press symbols to match the screen) which she could easily set up and the kids liked using.

Acorn moved onto the Archimedes series afterwards which used their first ARM processors which are the great, great, great grandparents of the ARM devices found in just about every mobile device and many dedicated and integrated devices. ARM originally stood for Acorn RISC Machine but now with Acorn long since forgotten it's now known as Advanced RISC Machine.

Although popular in schools the BBC computers were generally too expensive for home use so our first home PC was the Commodore 64C which also used a MOS 6502 based processor but far cheaper. The Commodore 64 was a hugely popular machine although the market in the UK was a bit different as we had the Sinclair Spectrum which was also a very popular machine. I asked my Mum why she chose the C64C over the ZX Spectrum +2 but she says she thought it's because we wanted it, all I can remember at the time was that the C64 offered better graphics than the Spectrum.

Like most home computers at the time everything was loaded and stored to cassette although I hadn't realised until watching videos about Commodore history that only the UK and Australia heavily used cassettes in this era and other areas particularly the US used much faster (and much more expensive) floppy disk drives. Cassettes would take around 5-10 minutes to load a game although at the time they were very unreliable, my brother bought a commodore 64 more recently and his seems to load far more reliably than I remember our original one so perhaps we'd worn it out.

It's funny to think of a floppy disk being super fast and convenient but we definitely appreciated that when upgrading to the Commodore Amiga 500 which used floppy disks and was vastly better to use particularly for saving.

We were quite late with a DOS/Windows PC as they were very expensive and we didn't get one until around 1996. It used a Cyrix PR133+ processor, 850MB hard drive, 8MB ram and a 15in 800x600 CRT monitor. Intel Pentiums were the processor to have but the Cyrix processors were cheaper and worked in the same sockets as the Pentiums, Cyrix used their PR rating as they rated their processor as faster clock for clock against the Pentiums so the PR133+ only ran at 110Mhz but was meant to compare to a Pentium running at 133Mhz. Their integer performance was good making them popular for gaming but their floating point performance was poor compared to Pentiums which meant Quake ended up killing Cyrix. Quake relied heavily on floating point performance and was an incredibly popular game which meant Cyrix was relegated to a budget role before disappearing entirely.

Reactions: Dashing Chris
Commodore 64 ,as you say loading a game was very hit or miss seemed to spend more time getting the thing to work than actually using it

Commodore 64 ,as you say loading a game was very hit or miss seemed to spend more time getting the thing to work than actually using it

getting the thing to work was part of the fun back in the day !! I started with a Tandy Coco and then an IBM PC XT with no hard drive, two floppy drives and one green monitor.... learned a lot !!

Atari 800. The games for it were arcade quality. I was even able to get the tech manual for it for $25. That had the schematic, description of every support chip, and Assembly code of the OS.

At first I was relegated to a borrowed cassette deck, but my parents realized one really needed a floppy drive so they lent me the money.
I still have the funky disco music in my head from the audio track of States and Capitals as it loaded from the cassette.

Amstrad PC-2086 with a HUGE 30mb hard disk o_O with MS DOS 3.3 and a Windows 3 + utilities = 27 x 3.5" floppy disks to load system and software ! How things have advanced - now I need gigbytes for a program.

Apple IIe, favorite game was Zaxxon (I think thats how it was spelled). Learned some basic programming on it and created a Dr Who TARDIS graphic....

Reactions: Thomas B
Amstrad PC-2086 with a HUGE 30mb hard disk o_O with MS DOS 3.3 and a Windows 3 + utilities = 27 x 3.5" floppy disks to load system and software ! How things have advanced - now I need gigbytes for a program.
I still have a shoe box sized 80mb hard drive that came off of a Novell server, where I used it in a 286 AT clone.
We all probably have photos bigger than that. I love to show it to people and put a 32GB micro SD card on top for comparison. I bet young uns think I said the drive was 80GB, and not 80MB.

Apple IIe, favorite game was Zaxxon (I think thats how it was spelled). Learned some basic programming on it and created a Dr Who TARDIS graphic....
I loved Dark Castles.

had gaming consoles like commodore, but those aren’t truly computers in my thinking since they only did one thing... games.

Reactions: charliesRig
Atari, Commodore and Apple II in that era all had 6502 processors. Their main appeal was for games, but could do more.

Radio Shack TRS-80 (aka, Trash 80). Had a whopping 48K or RAM. My newly founded company bought it in '78 or '79. We thought we were "big time"!

Funnily enough I was just watching a video showing one of those being restored and you're right, 48K was a lot of ram for that machine:

John

Commodore PET 2001 ...

Apple II here.

Sinclair ZX81 (had a plastic touchpad keyboard), then a Sinclair Spectrum (had a Qwerty keyboard with rubber keys), then a Memotech MTX500 (with a 'real' keyboard). Those were the days :)

Sinclair ZX81 (had a plastic touchpad keyboard), then a Sinclair Spectrum (had a Qwerty keyboard with rubber keys), then a Memotech MTX500 (with a 'real' keyboard). Those were the days :)

I had one too! It was based on the Zilog Z80 8bit Processor with 2K RAM onboard. I later bought a 64k external RAM and a high resolution pack for it for about $500, and yeah, I still have it and it still works!

I don’t feel so bad about spending that money though, a friend of mine bought a 1K core memory cube for his computer and it cost him over $800! Those were the 80s!:D

Reactions: charliesRig
TI-99-4A; then Atari 400. 800, 1200. I even had an Atari 512ST with the developer kit. I picked up a little bit of extra money soldering piggyback memory chips in the 512's to double their memory. The gaming laptop I have now cost less than the 10MB hard drive I had in 1985.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143