DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What was your first Quadcopter?

Lastrexking

Reactions
Remember when we used to call them Quadcopters and not Drones? I wonder if public perception would be different had that term remained in use?

What was your first Quad? I started with the Hubsan Nano, all of 45g of it, and 45mm wide. Within a week I'd got the Hubsan X4 107C, with the 720p camera, and within another week I got the Phantom FC40. I think this was back in 2014?

The tech has come a long way in six years, as hs the scrutiny around it. Its still an exciting future though!

I can see you've got quite a few - which is your favourite?

Strangely I like the Phantom 4 Pro for is camera , it's still the best camera in the DJI consumer drone range
It's also powerful enough to battle the stronger winds and remain relatively stable.

I think if you come from a landscape photography hobby, your always looking for the largest sensor with the best dynamic range.
You don't mind carrying around a larger drone as your used to lugging heavy full frame lenses and tripod around.

Last edited:
my very first one was a little indoor drone from aldi it had no atti hold had to be constantly kept air born using the sticks was virtually indestructable,battery took an hour to charge for 5 mins of flying time and was part of the drone,but boy oh boy when i eventually got the hang of it and could keep it in the air for the full battery then i was hooked

my very first one was a little indoor drone from aldi it had no atti hold had to be constantly kept air born using the sticks was virtually indestructable,battery took an hour to charge for 5 mins of flying time and was part of the drone,but boy oh boy when i eventually got the hang of it and could keep it in the air for the full battery then i was hooked
Very similar to you old man mavic
My boys got me a little toy one for fathers day that you had to control 100% of the time to keep it in the air but it got me hooked.

A no-name cheapone, less then € 100. Cheap enough to crash within a week :(

That is absolutely the best way to start with drones. :)

I had a dinky little toy from Aldi or Lidl too then bought a FC40 however many years ago they came out. Loved it but my eldest son who was tiny at the time hated the noise so I was forced to get rid of it by my wife. It was great. It filled up a massive box with the batteries, the drone, controller, wifi extender etc.

The mini was announced and I was interested. It's small enough to go anywhere. It's quiet. Its CHEAP. Stuff it I have to have one.

Fast forward 2 months and I've added a 2Pro to the mix. I don't want this to get out of hand but who knows what I'll own next year :D

I had a Blade Nano QX until I got so frustrated trying to fly it I threw it in the trash. Fast forward about a year and I got my M2P as essentially my first drone and have flying it for over a year with no issues. Interesting angle is that due to my experience with the M2 I probably could now go back and successfully fly that little thing but I won’t.

Hubsan X5C baby! I got that thing years ago to teach myself to fly. It was ATTI mode all the time and no real time video feed. I bounced it off the ground at my neighborhood park so many times. But because it was so unstable in the air, it taught me to have pretty good reflexes on the sticks before I started buying UAVs that were actually worth taking good care of. Good times! ?

Edit! Looks like the X5C was actually made by Syma. Such a fun old thing. You can still get one on Amazon if you want a good throwback. Syma X5C 4 Channel 2.4GHz RC Explorers Quad Copter w/ Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MNG37C2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zDgkEbNYQNANV

Last edited:
Mine was a Hubsan H501S which I consider a good beginners drone. Following this I bought a Hubsan H107D which like your cheap Aldi drone old man mavic was a pig to fly (no GPS etc). Fortunately my old fixed wing days stood me in good stead and I was able to keep it in one place by constantly twiddling the sticks. If anyone cocky shows up I give them that to fly. It soon sorts out the men from the boys!

Eachine 58 was my first. A cheap Mavic knockoff in miniature. It flew away the first day. So I bought another one! Flew it until I got the hang of it. Bought a Hubsan 501s and learned to fly in both ATTI and in full Manual modes. Sort of :). Still love to fly that bird. Does flips and rolls in Manual mode. Now I have the M2Z and couldn't be happier.

Inspire 1, followed by Mavic Pro, now M2P. I really enjoyed flying with the Inspire, with Autopilot, camera 360 °, super. Was a bit big for transport, so moved to the Mavic, greetings from Belgium

I was always fascinated by drones. Then met a guy in summer of 2015 who had DJI Phantom 3, he showed me some of his videos, and I was hooked. Feb of 2016, I saw The Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ on one of the home shopping networks. I thought, why the hell not, plus I'd be paying monthly.

I'll never forget flying it the 1st time, it was in March 2016. It was so amazing to see it take off, so exciting. I had practiced on a drone simulator for a few weeks before I got my drone, so the sticks had become 2nd nature, but it still was exciting (and a little nerve wracking) that first, short flight. And I must say, the Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ was a fun, stable drone to fly, never had any issues with that thing, great drone. Still have it, but haven't flown it since I got the Mavic Pro 1.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada