DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's all this here then?

Kilrymont

Reactions
Meaning - the scare stuff I keep finding about the Air and flyaways and so on. Plenty about Sparks too of course, but those are commonly beginner drones and I guess therefore more likely to be used by folks not accustomed to paying heed to important stuff.

Should have started with a Hi. Sorry, "Hi!"

Name's Ian, been using a P4 for a while and just about feeling the start of a touch of confidence creeping in?

But if you're wondering then why come on a Mavic forum? Fair enough.

I like the P4, no question. But taking it out feels like a bit of a production and it's big and white and draws glances, not all of them admiring. So I've been mulling over getting something more discreet. I know I'd use it more, maybe a whole lot more.

The Spark obviously would fulfill that aspect. But that choppy vid you get if attempting a yaw to give a pan shot, I really don't like what I'm seeing on so many Spark vids on YT. And I'd prefer the option of going higher than 1080@30fps too - I usually shoot at 60fps on any camera I have that can do it.

And the next one up the tree from the Spark is the Air. Hence this introductory and probably over wordy message.

I'm interested to hear the group's take on this whole fly away thing. The P4 has never tried any such tricks with me although its signal's been weaker than I'd like the last time but once at a distance I don't think should have happened. We'll see about that.

So if anyone wants to give opinions on the above, I'm all ears. BTW I'm in Central Scotland.

Regards meantime!

There’s no particular issue with flyaways on the Mavic Air. There are flyaway reports on every DJI model, and the vast majority can be attributed to pilot error. If that’s your concern about the Air, then rest assured the Air is not any more susceptible to flyaways.

That’s said, you may find that the Air doesn’t have the range of your P4 and that’s something you’d have to consider. The Mavic Pro (and the upcoming Pro 2) are still considerably more portable than the Phantom series, but have better range and transmission quality. However, if that isn’t a worry form you, then rest assured that the camera is definitely superior to that of the Spark.

Proper pre-flight check, pilot awareness, and following safety tips would eliminate 99% of all crashes and flyaways. That said, there’s always a risk no matter what UAV you are piloting.

My, that was quick. Thanks for that, which is I guess more or less what I thought might be the case. The few with flayaways shout about it, the thousands without are mostly getting on with flying. YTube is a mixed blessing that way in that it disseminates so much excellent information - but the reverse is there as well. And you can get a skewed impression of things.
Just in case there might have been a batch with dodgy coding aboard, it seemed sensible to ask before making a decision. I'm not in a massive rush so I'll hang around for a bit to see if anything else surfaces.
Have a fine weekend?
Ian

Reactions: Travisimo
Hi from the Highlands. Lots of choice out there, personally, I have a Mavic Pro and the only issue I've had was an unplanned collision with tree foliage about 40' up, all pilot error and not the drone. YT can be a wealth of information and it can also fill your head with lots of horror stories. If you have been flying a Phantom 4, you will already be well aware of your surroundings when flying. This for me, was where I failed. (It was recovered by ladder and a 14' fly fishing rod, undamaged by the way).
I've just watched a comparison video on here, where the MP was pitched against the MA and there was nothing in it, although, I thought the MP colour representation was better.
None of these things 'fly away' unless the pilot has taken his eye off the ball, so whatever you choose, feel confident that if you give it the due attention, you will be perfectly fine. I've never had a fly away, or loss of connection with my one.
Very rare to have a factory problem that costs you your pride and joy.

Reactions: Kilrymont
I have an Air and haven't had any issues. Compared to the home-built stuff I was flying a few years ago the thing is bulletproof.

As others have said, the Mavic Air is not anymore "flyaway" prone than any other DJI drone. But I will say that of all my DJI drones, my Mavic Air is probably my least favorite drone. But thats for another thread....

Thanks Jake, helpful reply.
I guess I’ll press on soon with this. Noting the lowered price of existing stocks of M.Pro to around £900 or so has to make it a fair buy. The Fly more bundle needs consideration too although there’s more in it than I think I’d regularly want/need.
A pal with a Mavic non-pro told me he did have a scary incident with his machine, when it went flyabout but he was able to restore control and landed safely - but he had a few “interesting” moments. He attributed it to a compass error of some sort. He’s experienced, with a squadron of classy birds.
I lack his skill and experience, so have to ensure all steps are taken to avoid these nasty events. (I’m frankly still in awe of the Phantom...)

Looking like a better weekend, might get out for a flip while it’s decent.

Reactions: ElJefe and Jake 61
Thanks also.
Been looking around and now looking more at the Pro... still, no immediate hurry.

Thankyou too. My interest is more in filming than the other sides of quad use, but also have some cheap toys that have given me far more fun than their price point might have suggested. Latest one of those is a Bugs3, brushless motors on steroids. Very, very quick indeed. Those served to help me with stick disciplines, and crashes wouldn’t be the horror story that binning a P4 would feel like. So far, no major incidents. But I don’t push things too far.

People who do have flyaways usually have them due to pilot error...and then race to the internet to get advice on how that happened. But the other 99% of us who flew just yesterday didn't race to the internet to say "Hey, I flew today and the drone came back to me!" Misery loves company so you'll see flyaway posts but not every person posts about their successful flights.

Thanks Jake, helpful reply.
I guess I’ll press on soon with this. Noting the lowered price of existing stocks of M.Pro to around £900 or so has to make it a fair buy. The Fly more bundle needs consideration too although there’s more in it than I think I’d regularly want/need.
A pal with a Mavic non-pro told me he did have a scary incident with his machine, when it went flyabout but he was able to restore control and landed safely - but he had a few “interesting” moments. He attributed it to a compass error of some sort. He’s experienced, with a squadron of classy birds.
I lack his skill and experience, so have to ensure all steps are taken to avoid these nasty events. (I’m frankly still in awe of the Phantom...)

Looking like a better weekend, might get out for a flip while it’s decent.

I got the Fly More Combo on a pretty good deal, (£1150.00), and you will use just about everything it comes with. The only extra I bought was the PGYTech joystick cover for the remote.
The MP is a nice bird, but do your research on the RTH function, it's good as long as you are aware of how it works. Personally, I don't bother with it much, had a fright when it decided it wanted to be somewhere else and the low battery kicked it in. Luckily, it was at eye level and within grabbing distance, but there was a few seconds of wtf is going on before I realised.
All four seasons up North today, but I might nip out shortly....Thumbswayup

My real education started today, took delivery of an Arctic White MavAir. Surprised to find no info in the package re charging the controller... but a bit of basic hunting on YT (where'd we be without it?) sourced the key I needed. I guess could be I've just overlooked something screamingly obvious, wouldn't be the first time!
[edit - meant to say it's the Fly More combo I got - from "Heliguy" in the North of England. Seemed like nice friendly folks on the phone]

So I'll be getting my face into the online manual now in case there's important stuff I'd not be able to guess from the P4.

Something that struck me as a bit odd was that controller design - hardly seems possible for it to have come from the same outfit that designed the really rather good one the Phantom 4 is supplied with. From the number of tablet/phone brackets available it'd appear that many users don't like having their screen down below the control panel. I'll give the standard set up a fair try but suspect I'll maybe be getting one of those myself.

If so, any recommendations from those already tried one? All info most welcome...

Reactions: Underdog1964
From the number of tablet/phone brackets available it'd appear that many users don't like having their screen down below the control panel.
The remote controller was only designed to hold a mobile phone. And that works quite well and it's comfortable to hold the remote controller with a phone inserted between the arms.

Early on, people have figured out that it's also possible to wedge some tablets between the remote controller arms. As you probably noticed if you've seen any photos, the arms don't really sit at a comfortable angle (IMO) when using something like an iPad Mini.

So, try it and see how you like it. If it's not comfortable, then try one of these commonly used Mavic Air tablet mounts:

FStop Labs

Hooshion or SKYREAT Extended (see it in action here)

MavMount (see it in action here)

PGYTECH (see it in action here)

Last edited:
I love my air. Agree with all said about pilot error. I had the choice to buy pro or air and the tech is newer. Was easy choice for me.

I got one of these for my ipad pro 10”...

Https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminum-Alloy-Tablet-Holder-Stretch-Bracket-Suitable-for-DJI-MAVIC-Pro-AIR-VP/282894440041?hash=item41ddd29669:g:60kAAOSwfXFasoif

(Sorry ipad would not let me embed a link correctly) and although it works well I prefer my phone below. Flying with the ipad is just too bulky for the small controller. I guess I could get used to it but the phone/controller/air package is just so neat and portable.

I am sure you will love it.

As others have said, the Mavic Air is not anymore "flyaway" prone than any other DJI drone. But I will say that of all my DJI drones, my Mavic Air is probably my least favorite drone. But thats for another thread....
I’m sorry, I gotta ask why? I own quite a few birds, and I love the MA. Just curious?

That's a fulsome reply, thankyou.
With my ipad mini 4 stuffed in, splaying the legs to the limit really, hand position relative to the sticks is forced to say the least. I'm not an apple fan, only have the ipad because the P4 could use it very easily and the relatively smaller screen of my Samsung S6 phone was just a bit small for me. Having become used to the bigger screen and the relative ease of making out tiny screen detail on it, I'm tempted to try one of those brackets. But portability is a factor in getting a sub-phantom drone; I'll persist with the phone till some real opinions make themselves obvious.

The remote controller was only designed to hold a mobile phone. And that works quite well and it's comfortable to hold the remote controller with a phone inserted between the arms.

Early on, people have figured out that it's also possible to wedge some tablets between the remote controller arms. As you probably noticed if you've seen any photos, the arms don't really sit at a comfortable angle (IMO) when using something like an iPad Mini.

So, try it and see how you like it. If it's not comfortable, then try one of these commonly used Mavic Air tablet mounts:

FStop Labs

Hooshion or SKYREAT Extended (see it in action here)

MavMount (see it in action here)

PGYTECH (see it in action here)

I love my air. Agree with all said about pilot error. I had the choice to buy pro or air and the tech is newer. Was easy choice for me.
I'd saved enough so I could even have gone as far as a MavPlatinum but the fairly extreme expense for what is essentially just an expensive toy rather dictated that I get a bit more sensible. My ability is likely to be the limiting factor in footage shot more than anything in the drone's spec so I figured this one would be pretty well dead on for me. Also its lack of bulk, making toting it around so much easier. The Phantom being at the other end of the portability range ended up often not being launched because its bulk made it a pain to heft around. Once in the air, super special, no question.

Love the Air. Have had a couple Phantoms before, but the Air is being much more used due to the total package being so small. Also the video/picture quality is better than Phantom 3/4/MP due to the newer/better imaging chip the MA have onboard. Looove it.

Got 4 batteries, only drawback I guess is the slightly poor battery life... Oh well. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica