DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whats phone or tablet are you all using for your Mavic?

borse2008

Reactions
I want to really get a dedicated phone for this drone controller, dont really want to be using my oneplus3t.

Ive read iOS does handle the app and functionality cleaner and more stable.

Iphone 6 or 6plus would be ideal.

Can anyone input on this?

Ok, Iam now on iPhone SE and its perfect, except small display.. so plan is to upgrade and my thouts that will be 6s plus or 7plus.. from my reasrch keep away from 6plus because chip cant hold hardware encoding..

I used to use an iPhone 6s. I'm now using an iPhone 7. Both work fine. If you'd like to see what else is compatible, check out my list here.

I use a couple different size dedicated Ipads. If I'm more concerned with the "big" picture and not as concerned about looking/finding details on the ground, I'll use my Ipad Mini 4.

If I'm really trying to focus/see details on the ground, I'll use my Ipad Air 2 with a Mavmount. Using a screen this size has allowed me to find/see wildlife in rivers and streams that I'd have otherwise missed on my Ipad Mini...

I want to really get a dedicated phone for this drone controller, dont really want to be using my oneplus3t.

Ive read iOS does handle the app and functionality cleaner and more stable.

Can anyone input on this?

I use iPhone 7 (most of the time) and iPad Mini 2.

Yes, iOS is more stable.

Thinking between iPhone 6 or 6plus? my recommendation would be to go for 6plus.

The iPad mini seems to fit the controller really well look up Drone Valleys YouTube video

using oppo r7plusF with custom rom Nougat 7.0.1 everything seems to work fine.. smartphone rooted ;)

Reactions: Bubz7471
I use the 6 plus and not issues, I do have a iPad mount also, but it's feels too awkward and the crazy glare. Yeah I know there's a cover, but I like the phone for now.

I was using a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge which worked OK but I felt the screen was too small. I upgraded to an iPad Mini2 32GB from Costco for $249.

Night and day difference. I am just a hobby flyer, but the difference in screen size is shockingly useful. Can you still fly with a phone? Yes, but why?

Using your phone is like looking through a peep-hole while the iPad is like having your eyes wide open.

Reactions: Rbruz
I started with my Galaxy S5 phone but quickly tired of removing it from its case to fly.

Now I use an Nvidia K1 shield that I had to downgrade to Marshmellow 6.0.1. I have about 90 minutes flight after the downgrade and ZERO issues. WiFi on but I've disabled everything else.

I used an iPhone 6 and since 1 month my primary tablet for flying is an iPad mini 4 - with both i had zero problems.

I have a dedicated 6s+ I use for it, since keeping screen on full bright drains the battery so fast and I don't want to get calls, etc. while flying.

Is a cellular plan preferred on these devices? I ask because my RC tells me often that home location can't get set, cell GPS signal too weak.

My Mini 4 is wifi only and usually setup a hot spot on my Iphone and log it in while flying so maps are updated. Have not had any issues yet.

My Mini 4 is wifi only and usually setup a hot spot on my Iphone and log it in while flying so maps are updated. Have not had any issues yet.

So if the device is not attached to a hotspot of some sort, it won't get the flight logs if something bad happens?

So if the device is not attached to a hotspot of some sort, it won't get the flight logs if something bad happens?
No....... All the history stuff is held in the drone and app while you're using it.

Once again, connections to cellular ONLY is needed if you're using follow me mode, you need to fly out of map area that are not cached or you want to set a new home point after you've started flying. In my opinion, the need for an iPad with cellular is way overblown.

A non cellular iPad will work fine for all other aspects of flying

Last edited:
I use a couple different size dedicated Ipads. If I'm more concerned with the "big" picture and not as concerned about looking/finding details on the ground, I'll use my Ipad Mini 4.

If I'm really trying to focus/see details on the ground, I'll use my Ipad Air 2 with a Mavmount. Using a screen this size has allowed me to find/see wildlife in rivers and streams that I'd have otherwise missed on my Ipad Mini...

Thanks MavicMo !! I have been looking for a quality mount for the iPad Pro 12" and I think the MavMount XL might fit the bill.

Reactions: Genzeka
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair