DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's the best video editing software for windows?

JonnyBenson

Reactions
Hi

As you can see i'm a newbie here and I apologise if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I'm also a newbie to the mavic and video editing. My aim is to make a few videos and possibly put them on YouTube, but I need a bit of help first.

I've flown my mavic straight from the box and I have plenty of clips from the last 5 or 6 weeks with I think will be good enough. However, I believe I must be doing something wrong.

I have a brand new Asus intel core i7 laptop, but I've tried three different programs and even though i'm picking them up quite fast, they don't seem to be working properly. When I play a clip on my timeline it seems to freeze or buffer and I don't know why.

I've tried VideoPad, Lightworks and DaVinci Resolve.

Any ideas?

Depends on the speed/gpu of your laptop. If you are shooting in 4k, try switching to 2.7k instead.

I am currently trying Davinci Resolve and have found the following procedures the best way for working with 4K on an old i7, dedicated gpu (550m)

1/ Your 4K videos are compressed (h.264) which your pc/video editing software will have difficulties with. After reading many posts I have found using mpeg streamline to convert to DNxHR improves performance (you will get rather large files though)

2/ Import the new DNxHR video into Resolve, set your timeline to 1080p/720p depending on PC spec

3/ In playback option set cache to user and playback to half/quarter resolution depending on pc spec

4/Right click on media and select generate optimised media

5/ Once edited, selected Deliver tab for 4K rendering.

6/ For YOUTUBE select the YouTube option, increase res to 1080p and render speed to 50. Set to render to a separate drive to the media being used, making sure both are at least a usb 3.0 drive or SATA connected.

On my setup If i want 4K video I have to use 3 different drives. 1. DNxHR orignal file location 2. Render location 3. C DRIVE running OS. Otherwise I get choppy results.

It’s a pain but I have found the above to work for me (There may be others with better solutions).

I am currently trying Davinci Resolve and have found the following procedures the best way for working with 4K on an old i7, dedicated gpu (550m)

1/ Your 4K videos are compressed (h.264) which your pc/video editing software will have difficulties with. After reading many posts I have found using mpeg streamline to convert to DNxHR improves performance (you will get rather large files though)

2/ Import the new DNxHR video into Resolve, set your timeline to 1080p/720p depending on PC spec

3/ In playback option set cache to user and playback to half/quarter resolution depending on pc spec

4/Right click on media and select generate optimised media

5/ Once edited, selected Deliver tab for 4K rendering.

6/ For YOUTUBE select the YouTube option, increase res to 1080p and render speed to 50. Set to render to a separate drive to the media being used, making sure both are at least a usb 3.0 drive or SATA connected.

On my setup If i want 4K video I have to use 3 different drives. 1. DNxHR orignal file location 2. Render location 3. C DRIVE running OS. Otherwise I get choppy results.

It’s a pain but I have found the above to work for me (There may be others with better solutions).

Thanks for the detailed reply, I'm downloading Davinci now.

Okay so what the hell am I doing wrong?

I went out yesterday morning and changed the mavic to film in 2.7K but i'm still having the same problem.

When I put one clip on my timeline it plays back ok. Add music, ok. Add text, ok. When I add a second clip that's when it starts to freeze or buffer (is it even called freezing and buffering???)

I'm so new to this I have no idea what to do! :(

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Okay so what the **** am I doing wrong?

I went out yesterday morning and changed the mavic to film in 2.7K but i'm still having the same problem.

When I put one clip on my timeline it plays back ok. Add music, ok. Add text, ok. When I add a second clip that's when it starts to freeze or buffer (is it even called freezing and buffering???)

I'm so new to this I have no idea what to do! :(

Any suggestions?

Are optimising the clips? Follow my steps above.

Hey, have you been able to edit your videos??

Please update us.
Hi.

Kind of. I gave up for now with 4k & 2.7k and dropped it to 1080p. Although i still have a lot to learn about editing at least i can start by using 1080p. I also have to experiment filming using different fps as i want to try a time lapse.

You know a lot of video editors need to do a lot of background crunching of your footage - there's a lot of data to deal with. Even simple things like importing files can require the applicational of a certain codec or optimisation process. If you can find a status window somewhere in your view or windows menu, you can quite often find that it's doing a task like rendering or importing. You need to give this a little time to get the background tasks out of the way before it will be able to play back smoothly. If you don't do this, it can essentially be trying to playback a large unprocessed file, and the result is that it drops frames to keep up with the pace of the video, or slows the video down while it renders each frame in memory.

Once you've pulled some footage in, drop it into your timeline and then go and make some popcorn or cup of tea of whatever tickles you and then come back. If it plays fine, that's your issue.

If you're still having problems, then you can try closing down background applications and processes, freeing up HDD space, installing more memory.

To be honest if you're on a new machine, you've probably just not letting background tasks complete. I edit 4K video on a 2011 iMac and a 2013 mac book pro and I have absolutely no issues at all.

Failing all that, switch to Mac

Reactions: JonnyBenson
Hi.

Kind of. I gave up for now with 4k & 2.7k and dropped it to 1080p. Although i still have a lot to learn about editing at least i can start by using 1080p. I also have to experiment filming using different fps as i want to try a time lapse.

I have been having the same issues. I do not have a powerfull phone either and now i am making a decision of getting a new computer or phone.
I have recorded my videos in 2k,1080p and it seems that as far i play them on my phone they look fine but if i download to my computer or share it to a social media they do not look right.
I am not sure if the video that is download at the time of the flight is worth of sharing,they look fine to me.
Any suggestion? Anyone!!
Thanks for sharing your experience!!!

Hi.

Hi.

I was a complete noob when I started too. Finally bit the bullet and got Adobe Premiere CC: Adobe: Creative, marketing and document management solutions

Then I just watched a ton of YouTube videos on how to use it. One guy I learned a lot from is Justin Odisho. Now I am very comfortable with it. It's very user friendly and there's countless tutorials on YouTube.

+1 for Adobe Premiere Pro. The learning curve is quite steep but it could be worth the effort if planning to do extensive editing later on. Pick and choose what interests you from the plethora of Youtube tutorials. Make sure to have plenty of system resources in terms of memory, CPU and GPU. You stated the laptop freezes -- what are the detailed specs?

+1 for Adobe Premiere Pro. The learning curve is quite steep but it could be worth the effort if planning to do extensive editing later on. Pick and choose what interests you from the plethora of Youtube tutorials. Make sure to have plenty of system resources in terms of memory, CPU and GPU. You stated the laptop freezes -- what are the detailed specs?

Here's a link to what laptop I have: ASUS ZenBook UX530 15.6" Laptop - Grey

Here's a link to what laptop I have: ASUS ZenBook UX530 15.6" Laptop - Grey

Running Premiere Pro on the laptop with the specs as listed is going to be rough.

CPU is only dual core at 2.7/3.5ghz. Ideally, you'd want at least a quad core or higher especially dealing with high-res 4K video. With a hexacore i7 4.2ghz system, my system already struggles depending on what I edit in Premiere so I can't imagine what performance is like with a dual core i7. You must have a ton of patience.

The NVIDIA 940mx scores pretty low on most benchmarks and is another bottleneck. It is more of a mobile GPU designed to be efficient in terms of power consumption and not known for its performance.

8GB of memory is a very minimal amount when editing videos or creating any type of multimedia content. The OS will typically consume ~4GB so that really leaves you with 4GB remaining for all other processes and applications. At times, depending on the project, Premiere Pro consumes > 10GB alone so there is likely a ton of swap file activity going on further degrading performance.

A new laptop (or system) would be the best route to improve the experience and efficiency in editing videos. The Zenbooks are super nice but were not built for video editing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada