DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whats the Deal with DJI and SDK's?

Yama

Reactions
So i decided to pick up a Mavic Air2s to replace my Parrot Anafi for Photogrammetry mapping ......whoops big mistake, i now know!
I'm after a bit of advise before i fully unpack the multirotor & take it back to the store.
Honestly i didn't think to check if DJI drones could follow way points.... coming from home built arducopter flight systems to Ghostdrone 2.0 to 3DR SOLO to Parrot Anafi i thought waypoints were a given although the last time i looked at DJI the mavic 2 was coming out. i really cant believe that DJI has removed functions like this

So i was sold on the Air2S as its slightly larger than the Anafi and had little big drone vibes, honestly it was having lights back and a full size controller lol.

ok then i have found out dronelink may work with the Air 2s on my android platform but for mapping a double grid survey for 3d work in meta shape, how does it compare to using the parrot Anafi and PIX4DCapture? As i use this for work im think i might be better sticking to the Anafi and all of its built in features...

Anyone have and words of DJI wisdom to a newbie

Get a used Mavic 2 Pro. This is my (educated, experienced) opinion: Autonomous waypoints are not coming back to the DJI consumer models.

Worst drone mistake I ever made was selling my barely used M2P. Will be replacing it.
I agree. The Mavic 2 Pro is eclipsed by the hype of the newer drones, but it's shortcomings, even in comparison are few. It has a better controller in many, many ways. Third party apps because the SDK is out there. Solid in the sky. Small and light enough to schlep if you pack it right. What it doesn't have is 4k/60fps and writes at a slower bit rate. Low light? Davinci Resolve 17 or adding a Neat Video noise reducing plug in will fix that right up.

For awhile there were refurb Mavic 2 Pros out there for sale. If you can find one, grab it. There is NO difference between a DJI refurb (not 3rd party refurbs) and a *NEW* Mavic 2 pro, including the packaging. I got one with the FMC for $1500 shipped. Never been happier... and to tell you the truth, I'm more excited about the Mini 3 than the Mavic 3.

So i decided to pick up a Mavic Air2s to replace my Parrot Anafi for Photogrammetry mapping ......whoops big mistake, i now know!
I'm after a bit of advise before i fully unpack the multirotor & take it back to the store.
Honestly i didn't think to check if DJI drones could follow way points.... coming from home built arducopter flight systems to Ghostdrone 2.0 to 3DR SOLO to Parrot Anafi i thought waypoints were a given although the last time i looked at DJI the mavic 2 was coming out. i really cant believe that DJI has removed functions like this

So i was sold on the Air2S as its slightly larger than the Anafi and had little big drone vibes, honestly it was having lights back and a full size controller lol.

ok then i have found out dronelink may work with the Air 2s on my android platform but for mapping a double grid survey for 3d work in meta shape, how does it compare to using the parrot Anafi and PIX4DCapture? As i use this for work im think i might be better sticking to the Anafi and all of its built in features...

Litchi does work with the Air 2s, from what I understand the android version works great. There is a problem with the iOS version in that you need to restart Litchi each time you want to start a new mission. It is not a problem with Litchi, the problem is in the iOS SDK. Litchi says they will correct as soon as a updated SDK comes out. Don't know if you have ever used Litchi but it's a great program for designing and flying waypoint missions. One thing to note is that any quad that uses DJI Fly needs to maintain RC contact or the mission will end and it will return to home, or whatever you have it set to do on signal loss. This is because it flies the mission "virtual stick" and needs to maintain signal to send the movements. Drones that use DJI Go4, the mission is uploaded to the AC and does not need to maintain RC signal to complete the mission. That's why I'm sticking with my Mavic 2 Zoom, the Mavic 2 Pro is a great drone as well and also loads the mission to the AC. Litchi works great either way, but I like the mission loaded and away it goes.

No, Litchi is worthless with the A2S. Same jerky gimbal movement when turning during a programmed flight (waypoints, orbits).

The Mavic 2 Pro is the newest DJI model that can still perform properly with these missions. The issue can be fixed, there's no possibility DJI is unaware of this, and after 5 years has not fixed the problem in Virtual Stick operations in the SDK.

One must conclude DJI simply does not want their consumer products to have this capability. Rather, they want to push commercial users to their more expensive commercial offerings for these capabilities.

Those "prosumer" customers like many of us are, as we are so often, SOL.

No, Litchi is worthless with the A2S. Same jerky gimbal movement when turning during a programmed flight (waypoints, orbits).

The Mavic 2 Pro is the newest DJI model that can still perform properly with these missions. The issue can be fixed, there's no possibility DJI is unaware of this, and after 5 years has not fixed the problem in Virtual Stick operations in the SDK.

One must conclude DJI simply does not want their consumer products to have this capability. Rather, they want to push commercial users to their more expensive commercial offerings for these capabilities.

Those "prosumer" customers like many of us are, as we are so often, SOL.
The Air 2s was released just little over a year ago and the SDK long after that late 2021 or early 2022. Litchi does expect an updated SDK, but who knows if it will help the gimbal issue. I guess my point is that it hasn't been 5 years. Oh, and the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom were released August of 2018, I got one shortly after it's release and still have it. Litchi works flawless with the Mavic 2, Pro, Zoom, & Enterprise.

Maybe it was 4 years ago, that's picking nits, and beside the point.

The gimbal problem with Virtual Sticks was reverse engineered in the SDK and problem fixed, by making a call to an unauthorized interface and setting the gimbal into some sort of fixed mode. A demonstration orbit showed the results.

DJI has not offered a fix, for some reason. Everyone is silent about it. I'm not suggesting a conspiracy or anything, just that there's a way to fix it, it's been around for awhile, and there's no change.

Feels very much like a deliberate decision.

Reactions: Peio64270

I have flight time on the Phantom 4 Pro and Mavic 2 Pro. Both would be good options to do what you are looking for. I know the P4Pro works with Pix4DCapture as I've used it extensively. I have only used the M2Pro with an app called SiteScan, but it produces orthos just fine. DJI is seriously shooting themselves in the foot by trying to push onto bigger and better drones without taking the time to work with app developers and make sure those drones can be used for mapping. They're going to open a niche in the market for other companies to step in.

I am finding myself in a similar situation. I am new to the drone world - I have my 107 and have "begun" the process of learning how to best use a drone and the associated softwares, in my construction business - restoration work and mostly storm damaged roofing. So, I want to use it for difficult inspections and documenting in particular damage. I don't want (or need) software to measure the building. And, I've been experimenting with my 1st drone, an Air 2s, and although it is a delight to fly, I see that the programmed flight (autonomous flight) capabilities seem to be "mostly" unavailable. And, to make matters worse, I have a Mavic 3 coming next week - an open box that I bought for a very nice price. So, I think I am in a double pickle. Wait, make it a triple pickle - I also have a mini 3 pro arriving Monday. Yep, I am a bit jumpy (as in jumped the gun) to get things going!

1. But, I don't mind selling all (or most) of these drone to get the right thing for our business.
  2. Perhaps I should have gotten a Skydio - they have their 3D software. And, they partner with Eagleview in their "Assess" 3D capability
  3. Loveland Innovations has their Imging software that has some very specific roof inspection use cases solved, but only for Mavic 2 Pro, Zoom & Enterprise and Phantom.

Reactions: rudispropmgmt

On a separate note, would you recommend going DIY home-build route for a quadcopter dedicated to photogrammetry? What do you see as the pros/cons of building vs buying?

I agree. The Mavic 2 Pro is eclipsed by the hype of the newer drones, but it's shortcomings, even in comparison are few.
Indeed.
I could not overcome and sell mine too after I acquired the Mini 3 Pro, especially as it looks and behaves like new and was my first drone.

As I am 99 % only for stills, the quality is still (pun intended) very good, love DJI Go4 compared to DJI Fly and the Smart Controller (but the DJI RC is fine too) and the 3:2 sensor aspect ratio (never keen with 4:3 tbh but that's not to avoid for now anymore with DJI).

Only downsides for me against the Mini 3 Pro:
  • mass with 1 kg is now Open category A2 and in Europe by the end of the year 2023 legacy, ie A3 (150 m away from people and buildings), so useless with my main focus to cityscapes
  • loudness
Besides that, the M2P is a solid, trusty and still well equipped bird before DJI started to broadly diversify the functions and restrict hardware through software.

Excellent all-round advice - DJI birds that don't have an SDK released won't support third party mapping apps. My own ten-cents-worth would be to fork out for an 'A' grade 2nd hand Mavic 2 Pro (or zoom) and then take a look at an app named 'Drone Harmony'. The basic package is/was free and gives you pretty much all of the basic grid mapping options you might need. Drone Harmony works well with DJI hardware (I've never had any problems so far) and if you want to use more specialized flight templates, you upgrade by purchasing the one you need.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji