DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's the Highest Wind you have flown your MP in?

Ron_Dog

Reactions
I've noticed DJI says, fly in winds up to 25 mph,but what's the highest wind you guy's have flown in without any problems?

I've been blown backerd at only 800', so had to go into Sport Mode. Colloquialism is intentional.

Check out this video

Wow... I was curious if anyone was brave (stupid??) enough to fly during the hurricane happening down there.. Was that your video?? How is the Mavic faring after enduring those conditions?

Also, at what point during that video did the crash landing occur?

How waterproof are these things? I didn't think they were able to be operated in rain but clearly going by this video the rain doesn't bother it

I had her up in ~25MPH (weather.com report from about 30 miles away, so YMMV) when one of those US hurricanes were leaving/in the area. It held it's own pretty much as long as I was lower than ~50 feet. At maybe 75-80' I literally watched her flying away like I was pushing her full speed (non sport) in that direction - and her nose was looking at me.

I brought it down to a safe height and she struggled home, but after those fights the compass now has a redundancy error each time I take off. It may have been a little bit too much.

I have filmed in a steady 18mph it seemed with gusts up to 25mph and still got very stable shots and had full control of my bird. I can say it can be safely flown in those conditions for sure. Here is that video. Look at the trees and flags, but look how steady the shots were. (I was not in sports mode).

How waterproof are these things? I didn't think they were able to be operated in rain but clearly going by this video the rain doesn't bother it
I fly in rain all the time. I will post a video in the next few hours of me covering a MTB race in Knysna South Africa flying in rain. I've never flown in a hurricane or a tropical downpour, but when I land the mavic is WET .. windspeed I've flown in 26kmph and 41kmph gusts

I fly in rain all the time. I will post a video in the next few hours of me covering a MTB race in Knysna South Africa flying in rain. I've never flown in a hurricane or a tropical downpour, but when I land the mavic is WET .. windspeed I've flown in 26kmph and 41kmph gusts
What about the battery area? I would think that would get some water in it. Also the cooling vents...

Reactions: REDAGITATOR
When we went to Iceland we did the helicopter tour to the summit(highest point of mountain) The wind was probably around 20-40mph with gust of wind 40mph or more. It was our last day in Iceland so I was willing to risk it all. I only flew for a few mins which I don't really recommend.

I flew in about a sustained 15 yesterday, not fun. That was per the weather forecast and also the fact that I couldn't go over about 5-6 mph when flying into it (normal mode).

I knew that 1) I could flip to Sport mode if I thought I might have trouble, 2) I should spend the first half of the flight flying into the wind to be sure it was at my tail for the return trip, 3) I was not going to go past half a battery before I brought it home regardless of wind direction, 4) I was over top of a rail yard and if I had to I could land (and reset the home point to that spot), and then risk a trespassing ticket to go get it.

I got away with it but it was a calculated risk. I flew only about 5 minutes and decided not to risk it any more.

I like to keep it in single figures. I know the Mavic will cope, but for me there’s no fun in trying to fly above that. I’m still a nervous flyer, but things might change in time.

I've noticed DJI says, fly in winds up to 25 mph,but what's the highest wind you guy's have flown in without any problems?
25 mph sustained, but I had to switchback it to get back to launch site. It was over the lake, so it was a white knuckle flight back!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO