DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whats the highest you've taken your Mavic?

Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Reactions
So I was planning to take a long flight over to the marina today to capture some footage over there again. I took the Mavic to about 300' and played with the gimbal a little (i was having problems with it yesterday and wanted to ensure my fix was truly a fix). I then pinned down the throttle.

I wasn't giving my phone screen dedicated attention as my dog was chasing birds around the yard and I thought it would have been funny to of filmed that. A minute or so later I look down at my remote and think "weird... It's not reading speed. Weird... It doesn't look like it is going very fast on the screen either. ****! wrong joystick pinned down." I look at my altitude and i'm at just over 1000'. So now I'm like... Holy **** batman, I'm high. Then as I feel my palms start to sweat, the child of Mossburg's past comes back and I say... "**** it, i'm already up here." and pin it down. The result is below. I brought it back after this. I got some cool video but i'll have to upload that later.

Untitled by Chris Mossburg, on Flickr

If you count launching off the side of a mountain, then about 1500 feet plus another 200 up from there. Got some great shots that day!

Reactions: Ez_Thug
Best to set your maximum height in the app to around 400' feet and then the Mavic will give a warning if you are trying to exceed that . Remember also that you can easily outfly the battery by going too high as it takes longer to get down than up if wind becomes a factor .

I understand after reading a lot on here about maximum altitudes that there are a lot of concerns when going that high (both safety and the mavic itself). This was one of those things were I was up there and said hell with it. Already here why not see what it looks like a few hundred feet higher.

I might add that I don't have any near by airports and there is little to no air traffic around me. Every once in awhile we will see or hear a helicopter but its very few and far between. The odds of a collision with another manned aircraft is there probably similar to my odds of winning the power ball this week. That being said, the footage from that high is so far away there really isn't much to be gained so I don't see me going that high again.

At 400' I can still run in to potential of colliding with tree's, etc. just due to the fact that I am by the water and there is a lot of elevation change with cliff's, hill's etc. Most of my flights are at 300' but can't imagine I've gone more than 400' above ground level much at all outside of this experience.

Please don't take my post as being the drone police , lol . I was just stating that you could set a warning and limit for altitude since you said you hadn't noticed that you were that high . Also that wind conditions can be drastically different at higher altitudes than at ground level and the Mavic can get in trouble quick if you're not paying close attention to what it is doing up there . Lots of people get at high altitude and don't look at the distance display to realize it is getting away faster than it could ever make it back . You are right though that flying over 500' I'd say , doesn't really get you much more payback for the risk .

On a side note , I have about 8 acres outside of town that I have been clearing of trees and building a pond over the last two years in prep to build a new house soon . Directly overhead I see commercial airliners at 15-30,000' everyday , a private plane every now and then at 3-5000' and there is a Air ambulance heli that skirts the property pretty regular at about 1500' . The heli pad and local small airport is 4.8 miles away by air and I am parallel to the runway behind the tallest mountain in our area . I feel confident that any full size aircraft on my side of the mountain would be well above what I fly at or be in serious trouble anyway . With that being said , this past summer I was on the tractor using the back hoe when something sounded like a train not far off so I stood up in the seat to see what the heck was making that noise when a Military Osprey flew directly over the tractor at what I'd guess was 500' ! I could see the writing on the fuselage as he was in transition from forward flight to hover mode . The props stirred up dust around my tractor . I actually wished I had been flying my Yuneec 500 at that time as it would have been cool as hell . You never know what is going to happen :)

Rarely above 150 feet, never above 200. I live a mile from a hospital with a very active air ambulance fleet, and you never know when one of them is going to come in low on their approach. If I hear one coming, I come down to about 50 feet if I can, or land if I'm close enough.
If you're near a hospital with a heli pad, isn't that considered a no fly zone ?

I normally stay below 400ft. But I have taken it over 1000ft about 10 times or so to film above some low laying fog in my area. I'm not in any flight paths for scheduled flights, but I do keep my eye out for anything around. Highest so far is 1350ft. As long as the wind isn't too strong the Mavic seems to handle it just fine. I also notice that going through the fog at about 600-800 ft, I will get high-wind warnings, but once i'm over the fog, the warnings go away and shes steady as a rock.
seen here!:

I understand after reading a lot on here about maximum altitudes that there are a lot of concerns when going that high (both safety and the mavic itself). This was one of those things were I was up there and said **** with it. Already here why not see what it looks like a few hundred feet higher.

I might add that I don't have any near by airports and there is little to no air traffic around me. Every once in awhile we will see or hear a helicopter but its very few and far between. The odds of a collision with another manned aircraft is there probably similar to my odds of winning the power ball this week. That being said, the footage from that high is so far away there really isn't much to be gained so I don't see me going that high again.

At 400' I can still run in to potential of colliding with tree's, etc. just due to the fact that I am by the water and there is a lot of elevation change with cliff's, hill's etc. Most of my flights are at 300' but can't imagine I've gone more than 400' above ground level much at all outside of this experience.
You have 400' trees?

Crew Dog

Got the height limiter set to 120m weather permitting - otherwise I set it to 88m. No real need to go higher. I also keep in mind a 10pct rule. I understand the drone code is 400foot (from RTH point?) but varying types of terrain should allow for this buffer all being reasonable...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54