DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's the status of competition?

Jonathonmp

Reactions
Hey guys, so with roughly 2 weeks into the hobby with my air and mavic 2 pro I really got the thinking one night.
As a matter of fact I was just reading and trying to compare the parrot anafi to both of my new Mavics and came across this review to which I will post the comment of course but in the article the author perfectly says what has been on my mind since joining the hobby.
"In the world of drones, competition for the market leader DJI seems to be nonexistent."
Does anyone else feel that way or is that author and myself entirely wrong? Where would the motivation be to continue amazing innovations.

You have a working link to the article?
It's probably this one?
"In the world of drones, competition for the market leader DJI seems to be nonexistent."
Does anyone else feel that way or is that author and myself entirely wrong? Where would the motivation be to continue amazing innovations.
That sounds pretty accurate.
DJI got a huge head start and a big technological lead with other manufacturers slowly trying to keep up by releasing models that competed with DJI's previous models.
In 2015 DJI drones were using Lightbridge (and later Occusync) while the others were (many still are) plodding along with old-fashioned wifi.
DJI had 1"sensor cameras in consumer drones >3 years ago

It's probably this one?

That sounds pretty accurate.
DJI got a huge head start and a big technological lead with other manufacturers slowly trying to keep up by releasing models that competed with DJI's previous models.
In 2015 DJI drones were using Lightbridge (and later Occusync) while the others were (many still are) plodding along with old-fashioned wifi.
DJI had 1"sensor cameras in consumer drones >3 years ago
That is the article I juat wasn't sure if we were allowed to post links on here or not. But yes that is the article.

DJI is for me the best. I have enjoyed the craftsmanship and the design of their two drones I bought. I guess my fear if you want to call it that is what happens if they don't face any competition. Without competition or threat of competition they could easily focus on margins rather than development and it could turn into the whole Sirius vs XM thing that once they joined and they were the only one they controlled the innovation and direction. I hope that makes sense. I just sometimes cringe when one company is the only clear choice or perhaps the only one in a market segment because I can't ignore their possible decision to slow down innovation and increase margins.

DJI has had a remarkable run, a true success story, and testament to the Chinese work ethic, low labour cost and economies of scale help too.
And it's still not looking like any other manufacturer can come close to them for a good while yet.

I read an article a short while ago, they have at least 70% of the US drone market, suspect similar Worldwide.
Of their nearest competitors, the most market share any of the others have is 5%.

It's not only making feature / tech packed and consistent quality drones for hobbyist and commercial pilots, but getting them to markets across the globe . . . distribution and resellers etc, then spare parts, servicing and repairs, DJI simply leads this too.

WIth the huge hurdles the economies around the World will face for the coming decade or more (due to Coronavirus fallout), it's unlikely any existing or new manufacturers would be coming forward to spend the 10's of millions it would take to develop products and systems to match DJI, so it'll be a big, long chase for anything serious to happen competition wise to challenge DJI.

Reactions: Jonathonmp
DJI has had a remarkable run, a true success story, and testament to the Chinese work ethic, low labour cost and economies of scale help too.
And it's still not looking like any other manufacturer can come close to them for a good while yet.

I read an article a short while ago, they have at least 70% of the US drone market, suspect similar Worldwide.
Of their nearest competitors, the most market share any of the others have is 5%.

It's not only making feature / tech packed and consistent quality drones for hobbyist and commercial pilots, but getting them to markets across the globe . . . distribution and resellers etc, then spare parts, servicing and repairs, DJI simply leads this too.

WIth the huge hurdles the economies around the World will face for the coming decade or more (due to Coronavirus fallout), it's unlikely any existing or new manufacturers would be coming forward to spend the 10's of millions it would take to develop products and systems to match DJI, so it'll be a big, long chase for anything serious to happen competition wise to challenge DJI.
70% is incredible! Now don't get me wrong. Ocusync and DJI and all of there products are top notch and the only products I will use but I just hope they don't get stagnant out of no need to innovate.

70% is incredible! Now don't get me wrong. Ocusync and DJI and all of there products are top notch and the only products I will use but I just hope they don't get stagnant out of no need to innovate.

The Chinese aren't like that, they are work work work. Tirelessly until they can no longer do so.

They will also work on their other interests, anti drone tech / control, I see them moving into FPV drone tech too lately, they can see the huge market potential there, and of course all the new things drones can be used for . . . agriculture, mapping, they are using their systems to spray disinfectant etc around pandemic areas to kill CV, and so on.

They won't be idle. Ever. Their focus might shift more if needed though, but they would want to keep the interest high for drone hobbyists too.

Did a quick search, this isn't the article I mentioned, but has the same / similar data.

More recent artocles have pegged similar figures.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots