DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's wrong with some people?

Dizzydan

Reactions
Why do some people think it's okay to flyover protesting crowds to get their videos posted on Facebook? Doing that is no different than flying over a fire. There are helicopters in the area and they really need to start making these areas a nfz. please try to refrain from flying over these people and the areas unless you work for the police or news.

'you people' - should maybe be 'some people'

Tarring us all with the same brush is a little much, don’t you think?
Noted and have changed the op’s title.

Why do some people think it's okay to flyover protesting crowds to get their videos posted on Facebook? Doing that is no different than flying over a fire. There are helicopters in the area and they really need to start making these areas a nfz. please try to refrain from flying over these people and the areas unless you work for the police or news.

Before criticizing, are we even sure that these pilots are even aware of this forum? The members of this forum have been well-schooled in the proper way to fly. As the saying goes, we are "preaching to the choir." This forum is not the audience, unfortunately. These cavalier pilots only think of themselves. Hopefully, if they post to social media they will be discovered and dealt with by authorities. Hopefully, these arrests will be well publicized as a deterrent.

Crowds are ALWAYS a NFZ. That is the law.
It is also common sense. Imagine if you lost control and the drone crashed and injured several people with those twirling knife blades! Apart from the serious injuries, I doubt if you have enough liability insurance to cover the $millions in claims.

Reactions: Lionfish
Same rule as in the UK I think. No flying over 1000 people unless special permission is obtained.

Limit 400 feet (120m) and you are not allowed within 150m anyway of large gatherings for most of us. Those with PfCO and special permit can. New rules coming in requiring A2 CofC and GVC now on hold until December this year, so those qualifications of no use at all at present. Personally I cannot think of any reason a recreational flyer would want to engage in recording such events. The TV covers it enough to make us all fed up anyway. Idiots crammed together in a pandemic !

Reactions: Bob Dempsey
Same rule as in the UK I think. No flying over 1000 people unless special permission is obtained.

Limit 400 feet (120m) and you are not allowed within 150m anyway of large gatherings for most of us. Those with PfCO and special permit can. New rules coming in requiring A2 CofC and GVC now on hold until December this year, so those qualifications of no use at all at present. Personally I cannot think of any reason a recreational flyer would want to engage in recording such events. The TV covers it enough to make us all fed up anyway. Idiots crammed together in a pandemic !
Physopto Are you from Newcastle or Newcastle upon Tyne? If the latter, there is a beautiful bridge there I'd like to fly over and film and the river. Any law against that?

What's wrong with some people?
Where do we start? Dale D is correct, and probably most drone pilots are not on this forum.
Still when any drone pilot does something stupid or breaks the rules, it affects us all.

As a personal addendum, I will hover just above a flat topped building with the camera aimed at a distant crowd to determine movement of vehicles and persons. That and critical VLOS can generally accomplish what you’re trying to gain with crowd shots. Anything any closer turns negative really fast.

Reactions: pelagic_one
As a personal addendum, I will hover just above a flat topped building with the camera aimed at a distant crowd to determine movement of vehicles and persons. That and critical VLOS can generally accomplish what you’re trying to gain with crowd shots. Anything any closer turns negative really fast.
What is it so important to you pilots to capture a crowd of protesters on you drone video or still? Are you going to sell it to a newspaper? Isn't there enough coverage in the press of these shots anyway. Do you want to post it to social media? Please explain to us law-abiding pilots here on the forum the attraction of skirting or breaking a law . Who even wants to see your stuff anyway? It is inflammatory, achieves more hatred, etc.

Before criticizing, are we even sure that these pilots are even aware of this forum? The members of this forum have been well-schooled in the proper way to fly. As the saying goes, we are "preaching to the choir." This forum is not the audience, unfortunately. These cavalier pilots only think of themselves. Hopefully, if they post to social media they will be discovered and dealt with by authorities. Hopefully, these arrests will be well publicized as a deterrent.
Yep. Preaching to the choir! We need a forum specifically for knotheads who don't care to fly legally so we can post our critiques there :)

Reactions: Lionfish
What is it so important to you pilots to capture a crowd of protesters on you drone video or still? Are you going to sell it to a newspaper? Isn't there enough coverage in the press of these shots anyway. Do you want to post it to social media? Please explain to us law-abiding pilots here on the forum the attraction of skirting or breaking a law . Who even wants to see your stuff anyway? It is inflammatory, achieves more hatred, etc.

There are millions (billions or more?) of photos of the Grand Canyon... AKA "enough coverage." I still drag a lot of camera gear with me every time I am there.

Who wants to see the results? Me. That is enough.

If it's not obvious, the same goes for someone wanting to get imagery or video of events happening in their neck of the woods with a drone. (aside from the part of flight directly over crowds of course.)

Personal use only, no sales, light sharing with family members only. No laws are broken, no jeopardy to anyone and no one is annoyed or antagonized except perhaps those who read this and have a sense of drone dominion. Enjoy your Sunday.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut