DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When all is said and done....

apixelpilot

Reactions
...much is said and little is done. I've read as much of the forums as I could without finding the specific answer I'm looking for.

I want to know if I can fly over a freeway- perpendicular, not parallel, to get to an area the other side?
What if the UAV is at least 200 ft AGL?

Traveling at full speed, at a high altitude, I would only be over the freeway for a few seconds. In a worst case scenario, even if the propellers stopped, it's course of trajectory would have it land on the other side.

Asking for a friend with a 107 certificate.

...much is said and little is done. I've read as much of the forums as I could without finding the specific answer I'm looking for.

I want to know if I can fly over a freeway- perpendicular, not parallel, to get to an area the other side?
What if the UAV is at least 200 ft AGL?

Traveling at full speed, at a high altitude, I would only be over the freeway for a few seconds. In a worst case scenario, even if the propellers stopped, it's course of trajectory would have it land on the other side.

Asking for a friend with a 107 certificate.

I'm surprised that you're Part 107 certified friend doesn't already know the answer to your question. You can fly over a freeway as much as you like - it's flying over cars travelling on the freeway that is prohibited regardless of the height or speed at which the drone is flying.

Reactions: kidroc
As stated above, it’s perfectly legal to fly over a roadway. To be legal you must wait until there are no cars passing (directly) below your drone.

Also, according to your logic, what if the props stopped just short of the approach to the highway? Then, instead of the trajectory taking it past the highway, it would take it right into it.

While I agree that the odds of anything happening are small, that’s the way the regulation is written.

Last edited:
As stated above, it’s perfectly legal to fly over a roadway. To be legal you must wait until there are no cars passing (directly) below your drone.

Also, according to your logic, what if the props stopped just short of the approach to the highway? Then, instead of the trajectory taking it past the highway, it would take it right into it.

While I agree that the odds of anything happening are small, that’s the way the regulation is written.

Great response and clarification, I'll pass it along. ;)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas