DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When hand catching my Mini3 it will sometimes try to get away.

Silverdollar

Reactions
Usually when hand catching my Mini3 it shuts down nicely. Other times when hand catching the motors will rev up for a few seconds and then shut off. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if there is a way to avoid this?

Sounds like the landing sensors are activating sometimes, sensing an object below . . . perhaps just a little longer on the grasping of the aircraft is activating that sometimes ?

Have you tried slipping the hand in from the front or back (or even side) of the aircraft ?
Coming in close to the sensors (a few inches) in other drone models stops the landing sensors picking up the obstacle below.

The other thing you can try is landing (left stick down) onto your open palm, as it touches down you can grip the aircraft, or just let it shutdown.
This might be too risky of there is much wind at the landing area.

When hand catching, I just grasp the aircraft (M1P or Spark) firmly either side and turn immediately to a sideways position, shuts down motors immediately.

Usually when hand catching my Mini3 it shuts down nicely. Other times when hand catching the motors will rev up for a few seconds and then shut off. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if there is a way to avoid this?
That's the drone fighting to hold position when the IMU sensors detect that you've moved the drone slightly.

VPS is recognising your hand as an obstacle. Do you drop the drone into a flat palm? Or are you a 'pincher'? Bring the drone down to just below head height, yaw it around so that the camera is pointing away from you and take a step towards it. Reach up so that your hand is level with the arse end of the battery pack and using the thumb and forefinger, pinch grip the fuselage and battery tabs. Use your middle finger to support the belly. Pull down on the throttle stick for 3 seconds and Bob's your uncle.

Felix, respectfully I question bringing it down below head height and then yawing.
I do it the same way. about should level and yawed away from my face. I always make sure that I have stable footing before walking up the drone.

I avoid the motors ramping up by letting it land in my open palm (fingers out), then when it touches, I lift my hand up slightly. It will detect the fact that it is going up, and reduce the motor speed even more. No need to grab at all. Just be patient, keep the left stick all the way down, and the motors will shut off.

Reactions: chiangmaicharlies
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu