DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When is a Class C Warning 'Just' a Warning

steve31000

Reactions
I am on holiday at the moment in Dublin, Ireland (my hometown returning from abroad) and was forced to download the latest NFZ data by the DJIGO app. Earlier the same day I ignored the request to update only to have the app disconnect several times over the sea at close proximity so finally I thought I better update to maybe avoid this happening in case it was the 30/50m restriction kicking in. I updated the NFZ data and then proceeded to fly out to sea away from land from a beach just outside a small seaside town called Bray. There is for sure no airport, airfield or heliport anywhere close to within 5km from here and Dublin airport is at least 30km away. I was at about 10 metres altitude and as soon as I went beyond 30m distance out to sea I got a DJIGO app warning saying I am in class C airspace. Immediately I turned back and landed out of fear. I have had quite a few disconnects lately and earlier that day (including one 2 weeks ago when my drone tried to fly away and I had to battle with it to keep it from speeding into a tree) so after reading posts of people entering NFZs that aren't supposed to be NFZs and their drone deciding to land itself in the ocean or whatnot, I thought it better to abandon my plans of filming the Irish coast today

What I would like to know is when is a warning now just a warning? Will my drone take control of itself in such cases? It warned I am in class C airspace even though I am nowhere near an airport and not flying at the altitude that Class C airspaces encloses. Does this mean my drone will land itself in such warning areas without my control if I continue in such a zone or is it just for my information and I retain full control?

I am getting tired like many of having no idea what DJI's new threat of taking control of my drone truly means when I start seeing such warnings. I was not asked to check any box or agree to anything. I am now really scared of my drone taking on a mind of its own and not sure if I can fly or not whenever I see such a warning.

Anyone able to clarify on if I can fly within a class C warning area when well outside the 5km zone around an airport without risking my drone autolanding? Thanks.

I live in a NFZ. It's indicated in Red on the maps. My Mavic's motors won't even start when I try flying inside of the house. Sometimes GPS reception inside of the house is poor and I can launch my craft, but as soon as GPS kicks in, a warning will display that I'm in a NFZ and the craft starts landing.

Your disconnects could be from your use of DJI's thin USB cable on the side of the remote. Use the standard size USB port on the bottom of your RC to connect to your phone/tablet. Make sure you remove the thin USB cable (left upper side of remote). I haven't had any disconnects since using the bottom USB port of the remote (iOS).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu