DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When is it time to change damaged propellers if they still fly OK

SkyMasterKT

Reactions
Hi, I am wondering how long I can fly safely with propellers, which tips are a bit damaged. I didn't observe any issues during flight, the drone is responding normally, batteries are not depleted faster than normal, footage is smooth. I don't have any objective signs of issues, but still I am wondering is it safe and reasonable to fly like this. I attach some photos.
Any advice is welcome.
ba76a3f2277b407b2e2144c7f6d705a8.jpg
df3284ef5b0705f80abef9cee93ce916.jpg
2f928ba3ad446a79009c8984aea33c04.jpg
1d329d1fc78d856136d0b044400423d2.jpg
b0e54808122dd38fa7e51c98a3acc7f3.jpg

Ah, they are fine.
The MA2 can even fly with half the length of the propellers.
I've seen a video, where an asian women clipped off half the lenght of the propellers and the MA2 still flew.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: kidroc
Performance will be affected, but if you don't mind, you can keep using them. They are pretty abused, and are likely noisier than when new, but still look airworthy. The paint on the tips is easily scratched, which should not be an issue, but the rough edges won't cut through air as easily.

When in doubt, change them out! Any wear, nicks or cracks are certainly a warning to replace. That one little nick or crack can lead to catastrophic prop failure mid flight. You risk your aircraft not to mention taking a risk at possibly causing harm to people or damage to property.

How much are they to replace? You may get a little jello in the video

Thank you all for the comments. I am not willing to risk my drone of course, or doing harm to people or property. I can live with the cost of new props at least if I don't have to change them every two weeks :)
I was just wondering in case I am on a long trip in the wild and run out of spare props, whether is it safe to fly like this. Apparently not from most of your opinions. Thanks, I WILL change them :)

If I was in a bind and didn't mind risking the aircraft I'd make one more flight with those but JUST one more. Remember the props are a Single Failure Point...meaning any loss will result in total loss of control.

This image shows a nick in an area we don't normally see nicks and one I would NOT be comfortable with:
b0e54808122dd38fa7e51c98a3acc7f3.jpg

Already changed them. After such strong arguments from most of the pilots who answered me. THX!

We always have a full replacement set (all 4 sets) in the go-case and usually another pair in the office. They are so cheap and quick to replace the first signs of wear (or damage) they come off for new. Usually it's only one set needing replaced but there was this one time (not at band camp) where I lost concentration and flew into a porch post and destroyed all (4) in one incident.

Reactions: wjkrysak
Other than the possibility of catastrophic failure (particularly the leading edge damage) they're probably unbalanced. You may not be able to see it in the gimbal, but the motor bearing (bushings?) certainly know about it, as well as all of the sensitive electronics.

The tip damage wouldn't bother me a whole lot, from a flyability standpoint, if it was just until replacements showed up. I wouldn't run the one with leading edge damage at all though, and I'd change the rest for vibration as soon as feasible.

Thank you all for the comments. I am not willing to risk my drone of course, or doing harm to people or property. I can live with the cost of new props at least if I don't have to change them every two weeks :)
I was just wondering in case I am on a long trip in the wild and run out of spare props, whether is it safe to fly like this. Apparently not from most of your opinions. Thanks, I WILL change them :)
Just wondering how they got in that state? Been flying through bushes?

I have the same question. How did they get damaged? If it was from an accident, yes change them. If it was from handling, then yes change them, but also try to be nicer to your drone.

Yeah, I think I would follow the simple rule: if I can feel or see any physical irregularity, the props get changed. I would always require 100% optimal performance according to design specs, and I know I wouldn't be getting that if the props had any physical irregularities/deformities.

Good move on changing them. When it doubt, change them out. I have done the same with similar conditions of blades after contact with moving tree ;) Protect your investment.

We always have a full replacement set (all 4 sets) in the go-case and usually another pair in the office. They are so cheap and quick to replace the first signs of wear (or damage) they come off for new. Usually it's only one set needing replaced but there was this one time (not at band camp) where I lost concentration and flew into a porch post and destroyed all (4) in one incident.

I can relate. I caught a gust of wind while filming on the beach and got sent into some trees that were 20' away.

On the plus side, the dirt has cleaned off and all of the motors spin as I'd expect, so I'll be sending it up with new props later today.

I can relate. I caught a gust of wind while filming on the beach and got sent into some trees that were 20' away.

On the plus side, the dirt has cleaned off and all of the motors spin as I'd expect, so I'll be sending it up with new props later today.
Blimey, must have been a strong gust of wind to blow it 20feet!

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I've changed a propeller today, and decided to get rid of one that I was saving in the event of emergency. As it turns out, that blade could've been the cause of my emergency. I appreciate all the questions and input received on the forum. Ultimately, we are all here to either teach....or learn!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929