DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When to replace Props?

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
Hey guys. :) So... I had a Mavic Air 2 (Combo) for a while, but ended up having to return it (faulty) and have been drone less for a while.

But... I never crashed it, so never had prop damage, and literally never had to take advantage of all the spare props I got.

1. Is it still wise to replace them from time to time? Or only if they get little nicks and scratches from general use? (Hitting large insects etc).

2. How long will 6 sets of Props last? Feels like... years of daily use?

3. Prop guards? Make any difference? Or is this more for impact protection when flying in situations where a collision is likely? (Sports mode through small space).

4. On the off chance that one prop breaks mid flight, is that the end? Or could I skillfully save it, or hit RTH and let the drone do it all?

1. Personally, I check 'em pre-flight. If they're good - I fly. I ha e yet to change my Mini 2 blades.
2. How long the sets last depends on any damage during flights.
3. Prop guards will reduce damage from hitting something or tree leaves, twigs, or landing high grass/weeds.
4. If a prop/blade breaks in flight, it's coming down. Quads depend on equal lift from all props/blades. With severely diminished lift on a corner, it can't compensate THAT much.

That's my thoughts.

1. Is it still wise to replace them from time to time?
No. It would be wiser to carefully inspect them before each flight and change them whenever you notice any signs of damage.

2. How long will 6 sets of Props last?
They could easily last for years if you don't damage them.

3. Prop guards? Make any difference?
Prop guards will certainly help protect props, but there are some downsides to using them too. If you're not able to fly without crashing into nearby obstacles, then it would be easier/safer to fly in locations that are free of all obstacles.

4. On the off chance that one prop breaks mid flight, is that the end?
It depends on where the prop breaks. DJI drones require four props to fly, so it would be the end if a large portion of the prop snaps off.

The pre flight inspection is really a must, check the bayonet clips, check the prop for any sign of cracks or chips etc.

If you leave the props fitted between flights, just check bayonet fitting periodically, maybe a quick remove, check replace every dozen or so flights.
I have to admit, I do a visual and light twist check of my blades pre flight (M1P), but don't recall taking them off normally for months at a time, so the bayonet fittings should be less prone to damage (apart from a crash etc).

I also only needed to replace one set of props recently (after 4-1/2 years), after noticing some light damage on 2 of them, I just replaced all 4.
I don't recall flying through or near any sort of vegetation etc, not sure where the little chips or bent end came from.
They were MAS Stealth props, and I have been using them for a couple of years now.

Drone props have been tested to some decent extremes, one from a few years ago on an M1P . . .

1. Personally, I check 'em pre-flight. If they're good - I fly. I ha e yet to change my Mini 2 blades.
2. How long the sets last depends on any damage during flights.
3. Prop guards will reduce damage from hitting something or tree leaves, twigs, or landing high grass/weeds.
4. If a prop/blade breaks in flight, it's coming down. Quads depend on equal lift from all props/blades. With severely diminished lift on a corner, it can't compensate THAT much.

That's my thoughts.
Thanks for this.

And not doubting that you're right about point 4, but lift isn't the issue. It's balance, right?

Surely there's an algorithm DJI could implement that would cut the motor diagonally opposite the failed prop/motor, which should give it some form of left/right and fore/aft balance? It might even be possible to use motor #3 in brief bursts for orientation and fine balance? (If the motors could spin in reverse, the prop could push air either up or down, and therefore correct as required?

2 motors might just be enough for a controlled decent, and possibly some form of RTH? (Or at least the user could pick the best possible landing spot?).

If forward controlled flight isn't possible, maybe the camera tilts down, and the user could tap the screen to indicate where the preferred landing spot would be?

Just speculating on a feature I don't understand, but... seems possible? (Proof of Concept in first Avengers film with the Help-Carrier. :) ).

@Ben_McPhee - I understand what you're saying - I don't know if there is such an algorithm. If it does exist, I don't believe it's implemented in current software @ this time. Yes, on the balanced lift.

The other thing about the prop/blade loss is the torque from that corner. With 2 CW & 2 CCW prop/blade rotation , it allows the UAV to not yaw unless told to by the pilot. The loss of prop/blade would cause the drone to yaw uncontrollably...provided there is no algorithm to compensate. I've heard it said hexa- & octo-copters have the ability to compensate for a blade loss due to more props rotating in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac
I JUST replaced my first set of props in over a year, not because there was anything wrong with them but wanted to see if there was a difference in noise/flight characteristics in that time span. Didn't really change much of anything so as long as you don't hit anything or flatten them through storage in some way, they will last a long time.

Hey guys. :) So... I had a Mavic Air 2 (Combo) for a while, but ended up having to return it (faulty) and have been drone less for a while.

But... I never crashed it, so never had prop damage, and literally never had to take advantage of all the spare props I got.

1. Is it still wise to replace them from time to time? Or only if they get little nicks and scratches from general use? (Hitting large insects etc).

3. Prop guards? Make any difference? Or is this more for impact protection when flying in situations where a collision is likely? (Sports mode through small space).

4. On the off chance that one prop breaks mid flight, is that the end? Or could I skillfully save it, or hit RTH and let the drone do it all?
Only changed when got any nicks or damage to the edges or replaced them with some cool red MAS props that are "supposed" to be a tad bit better than OEM.

Never used prop guards at all. Not a big deal on an Air, but if you put them on a Mini - it takes them over the 250g weight class and then flying under different restrictions / rules.

If you never nick / damage the props - could last a long time, but as everyone clearly says - check them every flight to be sure. A set of $10-$25 props are far cheaper than a$500 - $1,000 drone.

If there’s just an itsy bitsy tiny mar on a blade…. I change them! Not worth the downside as well as primary prop fail and injuring someone or something because of no preflight check 🤷🏻 I just got in to the habit each time. Flysafe & Godspeed, Droniac

The pre flight inspection is really a must, check the bayonet clips, check the prop for any sign of cracks or chips etc.

If you leave the props fitted between flights, just check bayonet fitting periodically, maybe a quick remove, check replace every dozen or so flights.
I have to admit, I do a visual and light twist check of my blades pre flight (M1P), but don't recall taking them off normally for months at a time, so the bayonet fittings should be less prone to damage (apart from a crash etc).

I also only needed to replace one set of props recently (after 4-1/2 years), after noticing some light damage on 2 of them, I just replaced all 4.
I don't recall flying through or near any sort of vegetation etc, not sure where the little chips or bent end came from.
They were MAS Stealth props, and I have been using them for a couple of years now.

Drone props have been tested to some decent extremes, one from a few years ago on an M1P . . .

Impressive commitment. I enjoyed watching it. Still, refer to my original post of my blade hyper-vigilance. Flysafe, and my gosh dude your finger!! Blood on the bird. Talk about a test pilot. 👍🏻 Godspeed, Droniac

So this was my situation the other day, I got this error while fling around the lake and I had my pontoons attached just to keep from it going to the bottom if something went wrong and yes I have registered my mini 2 because of the added weight and no I forgot to turn the payload mode on. It came back fine but wasn’t sure what happened as I have flown with these pontoons before.

1EBE8225-D516-4B07-96F9-E4641CB5507B.png

Reactions: Prop Wash
Impressive commitment. I enjoyed watching it. Still, refer to my original post of my blade hyper-vigilance. Flysafe, and my gosh dude your finger!! Blood on the bird. Talk about a test pilot. 👍🏻 Godspeed, Droniac

Thankfully not my video / finger.
But a great demo of just how good some (most ?) of our drones can compensate for such an event.

Reactions: Prop Wash
I have a question regarding blade condition. Can the storage strap on the MM2 distort or deform the blades in any way creating a situation that shortens battery life?
I have not noticed with my Mini 2. It seems I'm getting about the same flight time as usual. I check the blades pre-flight, but without some sort of gauge or comparing them to virgin blades, I have no way of knowing, for sure.

But a great demo of just how good some (most ?) of our drones can compensate for such an event.
I’m pretty empathetic and it hurt me, lol. I got nipped by a blade and the things shouted from my mouth were impressive and some with languages I don’t even speak. 👍🏻

No. It would be wiser to carefully inspect them before each flight and change them whenever you notice any signs of damage.

They could easily last for years if you don't damage them.

Prop guards will certainly help protect props, but there are some downsides to using them too. If you're not able to fly without crashing into nearby obstacles, then it would be easier/safer to fly in locations that are free of all obstacles.

It depends on where the prop breaks. DJI drones require four props to fly, so it would be the end if a large portion of the prop snaps off.
Depends where it breaks or where its damaged. Props generate the same lift across the entire surface of the blade. So you can lose up to half a prop and still maintain some control. Check the props on every flight and replace if more than some signs of "grass cutting"or minor dimples. If damage is at the base, replace it as this is a high pressure point.

As to injury, Iven been "bitten" by both my mini and my 2 pro. I know which one is worse by far. No intention of being bitten by my FPV. Hard blades that don't fold back.
Propellor dynamics.jpg

Last edited:
I had this error once. It was a warped prop that couldn't be detected with the eye. Changed the prop and issue went away. We cant detect all prop issues with our eyes. Glad you got your drone back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00