DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where do I set the warning for remaining battery percentage in RTH mode?

SkywalkerFeng

Reactions
Site
www.instagram.com
I used to be able to set the remaining battery percentage, to trigger the warning for RTH in DJI Go4 settings, for Mavic 2 Pro, and in the DJI Fly app settings for Mavic Air 2S. The default value is 25% I think. Normally I set to 30%, just on the safe side.

Now I have Mavic 3, and if I remember correctly, I was still able to set the remaining battery percentage for RTH warning, before the December firmware/app update. After the update, I can not set the remaining battery percentage for RTH warning. I cannot find this feature in DJI Fly app anymore. Last week I had one flight, the app did not issue any warning, even when remaining battery dropped below 20%. Did DJI remove such feature in the latest firmware/app update?

Last edited:
Reactions: ssvdh66
Interesting. I can not verify this yet but i am following this thread.

I used to be able to set the remaining battery percentage for RTH in DJI Go4 settings, for Mavic 2 Pro, and in the DJI Fly app settings for Mavic Air 2S. The default value is 25% I think. Normally I set to 30%, just on the safe side.

Now I have Mavic 3, and if I remember correctly, I was still able to set the remaining battery percentage for RTH, before the December firmware/app update. After the update, I can not set the remaining battery percentage for RTH. I cannot find this feature in DJI Fly app anymore. Last week I had one flight, the app did not issue any warning, even when remaining battery dropped below 20%. Did DJI remove such feature in the latest firmware/app update?
Those settings were only for the warning levels. The actual RTH battery level was calculated based on distance from the home point, and you had no control over that.

I think you will find that with the M2P you could set the level at which a battery warning was issued but the batteries RTH threshold is calculated by the drone and varies with its position.
Ah Sar104 got there first.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
Those settings were only for the warning levels. The actual RTH battery level was calculated based on distance from the home point, and you had no control over that.

Yeah, I was talking about the warning level. I believe this is a very important safety feature. Some times, pilots are too focused in shooting content, and did not pay enough attention to remaining battery percentage, until it is too late.

I have modified the original post, to make myself more clear about that.

my incident occurred directly above my head , I had been returning home anyway & when it was directly overhead about 10 metres high , it suddenly tried to ascend to RTH height .

Interesting that I haven't even noticed the lack of adjustable warning levels yet. After the first few minutes have elapsed, I instinctively check the battery every minute or so. With the M3, I am always surprised by how much is still available and I usually land well before the battery requires it.

Reactions: MS Coast
Interesting that I haven't even noticed the lack of adjustable warning levels yet. After the first few minutes have elapsed, I instinctively check the battery every minute or so. With the M3, I am always surprised by how much is still available and I usually land well before the battery requires it.

I noticed that in last flight, when I did not get any warning within DJI Fly app, even when battery level drops below 20%.

Hmm, when is the next major firmware update?
When it's ready. Ahh to have some type of update timetable. That's unlikely since that last thing you want is Software/Firmware with a hard release date. Creates a resource management nightmare where not only the code in general is potentially not ready, but subsets of feature supporting code packages get jammed through as well. I am THE least patient type on this stuff, but I would still prefer bug free or nearly bug free updates over a bunch of new features that mostly work. I suspect (for obvious reasons) that the December 10th update was "give them what we have" to overcome the outrage and harsh reactions to M3's early release.

I'm happy to have it, and MOST of it works well. But it also feels somewhat rushed/unfinished... in line with the rest of the Mavic 3 release. We will get there, of course. Hopefully sooner than later.

I nabbed the Wide angle lens adapter, coming Tuesday; excited to see how that works out. If the weather wants to take a break from pelting us with ice, snow, hail... the ever popular "wintery mix" -sigh. Mix this.

Reactions: Roger.Joys
I agree totally with SkywalkerFeng having an adjustable warning is a very important feature to have. I would certainly add to it a discharge rate also. The current gage of time left is not as fool proof as one would think because it does not take into consideration winds or changing power demands. The option to set a low battery warning is important because you can compensate for less than favorable wind conditions that will dramatically affect the ability of the aircraft to get back. Also, while most of you are prudent about watching the battery level having a feature to alert you before you start reducing your safe options is valuable. There are those who have missed the power remaining in their scan and there are those who eventually will miss the power remaining in your scan, it's just a matter of time. This is why almost all commercial manned aircraft have low fuel level warnings and fuel flow indicators.

Reactions: leebroath
I agree totally with SkywalkerFeng having an adjustable warning is a very important feature to have. I would certainly add to it a discharge rate also. The current gage of time left is not as fool proof as one would think because it does not take into consideration winds or changing power demands. The option to set a low battery warning is important because you can compensate for less than favorable wind conditions that will dramatically affect the ability of the aircraft to get back. Also, while most of you are prudent about watching the battery level having a feature to alert you before you start reducing your safe options is valuable. There are those who have missed the power remaining in their scan and there are those who eventually will miss the power remaining in your scan, it's just a matter of time. This is why almost all commercial manned aircraft have low fuel level warnings and fuel flow indicators.
You don't find the heart attack beeping at 15% battery loud enough or annoying enough already? It alerts everyone within 1000 feet of your presence, while you are trying to safely recover your aircraft, without drawing any unwanted attention, and certainly without annoying anyone nearby!

Reactions: KI5RLL
I agree that a continuous warning is distracting. Just like in commercial aviation alarms have the ability to be silenced then continuing on to correctly identify the problem and resolve it. This could be incorporated into software. Not a big deal.

I agree that a continuous warning is distracting. Just like in commercial aviation alarms have the ability to be silenced then continuing on to correctly identify the problem and resolve it. This could be incorporated into software. Not a big deal.
Oddly, instead of giving the pilot control over it, the only way to stop the heart attack beeping is wait until 10% and then let it descend, even if only momentarily, and then continue to fight the descent while flying it back. That silences it! However, by then, you have already drawn unwanted attention to yourself, and annoyed everyone within earshot, while they are surrounding you, to find out the cause of the emergency beeping! Completely unnecessary, and only adding fodder to the anti-drone publicity.

I was wondering where that warning was. Seems there is no setting for it yet. I looked in every menu about 4 times to make sure :(

I can't believe they got rid of ability to set a general battery alarm in the Fly app, it makes no sense. I'd also like to be able to write stills to the SD card and motion footage to the 1TB of onboard.

I can't believe they got rid of ability to set a general battery alarm in the Fly app, it makes no sense. I'd also like to be able to write stills to the SD card and motion footage to the 1TB of onboard.
This sounds like typical DJI. Every time they release a new drone the FW and the Fly App are half finished. Down the road they try to catch up by FW updates and App updates offering "new" features which were supposed to be there from the get go, and ironing out bugs which should have been ironed out well before the public release. With each new FW update they fix something and bugger up something else.
This M3 does not seem to be any different. Sad state of affairs, really...

Reactions: KI5RLL and Norval
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000