DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where do the RTH GPS coordinates come from?!

timesnaps

Reactions
Please let me know if my understanding is correct. I assume, that the Mavic records its own location via GPS onboard. And that the RC has its own GPS, which it gets from the phone. Unfortunately my phone is from a Chinese manufacturer and has Chinese firmware, but I am not flying in China at the moment. But I noticed that the RTH point recorded was off by about 1.2 miles to the north east, after it was set.

Essentially I dont want to use the RTH, as I am too scared to loose the Mavic (we live right next to the sea, and I dont trust it to overfly too much sea)

What you guys think? any thoughts...?!

Please let me know if my understanding is correct. I assume, that the Mavic records its own location via GPS onboard. And that the RC has its own GPS, which it gets from the phone. Unfortunately my phone is from a Chinese manufacturer and has Chinese firmware, but I am not flying in China at the moment. But I noticed that the RTH point recorded was off by about 1.2 miles to the north east, after it was set.

Essentially I dont want to use the RTH, as I am too scared to loose the Mavic (we live right next to the sea, and I dont trust it to overfly too much sea)

I would get an iPhone or good android phone.

Reactions: Rbruz

The original RTH is recorded by the drone not the device.
Regards,
-d.

Is the option to calibrate the map coordinates for China Mainland still on? That could be your problem.

After you power up the Mavic and take off, you need to hover for a few seconds until you hear the app say "the home point has been recorded, please check it on the map".

Sometimes it happens before you even take off, and sometimes it's just after you takeoff. But either way, your RTH will not bring you back to where you took off from unless you hear that announcement.

After you power up the Mavic and take off, you need to hover for a few seconds until you hear the app say "the home point has been recorded, please check it on the map".

Sometimes it happens before you even take off, and sometimes it's just after you takeoff. But either way, your RTH will not bring you back to where you took off from unless you hear that announcement.
No you don't. Hovering until it records is just wasteful. You just need to be in a clear takeoff spot and wait for the GPS to acquire. You can takeoff afterwards.

No you don't. Hovering until it records is just wasteful. You just need to be in a clear takeoff spot and wait for the GPS to acquire. You can takeoff afterwards.

To each his own. I wait until I hear that the home point has been recorded. And I also hover for a few seconds to let the Mavic record the home point for precision landing. If you don't want to do it that way it's up to you, but that's the correct way as per the user's manual.

Reactions: timesnaps and Rbruz
Either the Mavic's GPS lock was not 100% accurate when the Home Point was set (eg. You didn't wait long enough before takeoff, or due to buildings etc blocking signals) or perhaps it's the Mainland China setting that @Cyberpower678 mentioned.

To each his own. I wait until I hear that the home point has been recorded. And I also hover for a few seconds to let the Mavic record the home point for precision landing. If you don't want to do it that way it's up to you, but that's the correct way as per the user's manual.

Agreed I actually will do the presission take off if launching from a dock just in case rtm is activated for what not. Can't hurt!

Reactions: timesnaps

His point was that you don't need to be hovering. Just waiting a minute before taking off will record the home point.

And you don't need to hover for precision landing either, just take off straight up for ~10m.

The manual says nothing about hovering in either instance.

Did you calibrate the compass?
After you take off you should hear that the home point has been set and to check it on the map. I am probably too careful a flier but I always wait in the hover to know that the home point is set and I always check the map to make sure it is correct.

Reactions: timesnaps and Rbruz
Thanks guys, I appreciate all your points and input trust me.

Here is a little update since my question. I think there is some location communication between the phone and controller. But of course the home point should be either your physical location or a place that you specified it to land.

I noticed that if my phones GPS is not on (which it isnt normally) I get a mis-reported location, due to the way the triangulation location works using the network masts. Since I live on an island with the nearest network tower being about a mile away, I guess thats where the location is being recorded - unless I switch on GPS. So lesson learned. I now switch on GPS each time before starting the DJI app.

With regards to the compass, I tend to calibrate it whenever I can, but as I said, we live on an island, with nearly no open space. One of the spaces I launch from has some major electricity cables in the ground, and its impossible to calibrate the compass there. I fly from there nevertheless, and so far all was fine.

I noticed that if my phones GPS is not on (which it isnt normally) I get a mis-reported location, due to the way the triangulation location works using the network masts. Since I live on an island with the nearest network tower being about a mile away, I guess thats where the location is being recorded - unless I switch on GPS. So lesson learned. I now switch on GPS each time before starting the DJI app.

The GPS signal (or lack of it) on your phone would have no effect on the setting of the Home Point by the Mavic. Plenty of people fly with devices that have no GPS modules at all.

[EDIT] Unless you're trying to manually set the Home Point to your location instead of the Mavic's. In that case, your phone will need a solid GPS lock. But I don't think this is what you're trying to do.

The GPS signal (or lack of it) on your phone would have no effect on the setting of the Home Point by the Mavic. Plenty of people fly with devices that have no GPS modules at all.

[EDIT] Unless you're trying to manually set the Home Point to your location instead of the Mavic's. In that case, your phone will need a solid GPS lock. But I don't think this is what you're trying to do.

Exactly, my ipad min2 has zippo gps happening when I fly. The mavic uses its own gps module thats why it has one.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett