DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where has drone flying taken you

Crouching Leopard

Reactions
A bit off topic, but I thought I would put this one out there.

Today I was out with my M2 pro drone in a large bushland park, just taking some tracking mode shots and general landscape videos.

Towards the end of my walk, I came across 2 wildlife Victoria rescue agents, attending to an Eastern Grey Kangaroo that was acting in a confused fashion after being glance struck by a car. Later analysis was that the Roo was in fact blind, had been rejected by its pack (mob) was suffering from other ailments and didn't know where it was. Hence the car strike.

However, talking to the agents, it turned out they are experimenting with drones for use in injured wildlife tracking. Non of them are licensed pilots, they know very little about drones, even less about flying regs and are experimenting with a Mavic Mini.

When I told them I was a licensed RPA Pilot and interested in their work, their ears pricked up very quickly. Long story short, we swopped phone numbers and I am now meeting up with them to teach them the basics of drone flying, flying regs and perhaps work with them in tracking injured wildlife. Fantastic unexpected outcome for an afternoons walking / flying.

So, It got me wondering. What unplanned and unexpected directions has drone flying taken members of this forum that they never dreamt of when they first picked up a controller, be it in their careers, relationships, new directions in life, health etc. And what positives has drone flying brought to them and the people / environment around them

Just for fun and some positivity in these sad times.

I have not had an experience like that to date. I do however know my backyard and the quarter mile around my house very well. Ha. In all of the places I have flown, good/bad, no one has said anything and I have not had anyone want to know more about it. So, on the one hand I have been able to enjoy my time without someone complaining but I also have not had anything cool happen because of it. Hopefully you both learn something, sounds like a great opportunity.

I am flying for 1.5 years now and I had met people who fly drones too, both online and in person.
Also, the drone made me go out and explore the island where I live (Mallorca, Spain) and realize how many nice places there are around me.
However, I had also some not very positive experiences with people trying to complain about me flying there or claiming that I'm flying illegally. I noticed that here in Spain many people are negative when it comes to drones, and try to complain about someone flying illegally even without knowing the rules, which I find very annoying.
That's why I'm flying from the rooftop of my apartment building now, I have good signal most of the time, and also no one approaches me randomly on the street.

I am flying for 1.5 years now and I had met people who fly drones too, both online and in person.
Also, the drone made me go out and explore the island where I live (Mallorca, Spain) and realize how many nice places there are around me.
However, I had also some not very positive experiences with people trying to complain about me flying there or claiming that I'm flying illegally. I noticed that here in Spain many people are negative when it comes to drones, and try to complain about someone flying illegally even without knowing the rules, which I find very annoying.
That's why I'm flying from the rooftop of my apartment building now, I have good signal most of the time, and also no one approaches me randomly on the street.
Thats sad. Try and find places that are not in the public view, or fly discretly. That's what I do. I fly in popular places but at quiet times or not in full view.

Reactions: Gagey52
I have not had an experience like that to date. I do however know my backyard and the quarter mile around my house very well. Ha. In all of the places I have flown, good/bad, no one has said anything and I have not had anyone want to know more about it. So, on the one hand I have been able to enjoy my time without someone complaining but I also have not had anything cool happen because of it. Hopefully you both learn something, sounds like a great opportunity.
My back yard is the one place I don't fly. My neighbours are really nice but new people move in all the time and you never know.

After 100s of flights in a broad variety of locations, I have met people who wanted to hire me and others (rarely) who wanted to complain.
For those who want to hire - I usually land and give them a business card and discuss the project.
For those who want to complain, I assure them that I am flying legally and that to distract or disturb a person in control of an aircraft is a violation of Federal Law. 'If you're sure I'm in violation, call the police - I'd be happy to discuss it with them'.
BTW: I always wear my vest with my company logo on the front and notice on the back which seems to deflect a lot of annoyances and attract future customers.

vest.jpg

After 100s of flights in a broad variety of locations, I have met people who wanted to hire me and others (rarely) who wanted to complain.
For those who want to hire - I usually land and give them a business card and discuss the project.
For those who want to complain, I assure them that I am flying legally and that to distract or disturb a person in control of an aircraft is a violation of Federal Law. 'If you're sure I'm in violation, call the police - I'd be happy to discuss it with them'.
BTW: I always wear my vest with my company logo on the front and notice on the back which seems to deflect a lot of annoyances and attract future customers.

View attachment 145568
I like the idea of your vest. Might do similar for myself when flying in the city. Did you get into commercial as part of a plan, or did it happen as an unexpected result of just flying.

Last edited:
I like the idea of your vest. Might do similar for myself when flying in the city. Did you get into commercial as part of a plan, or did it happen as an unexpected result of just flying.
I began studying for Part 107 before I touched my first drone. I was a Private Pilot years ago and I have been a photographer and videographer for many years so it was a logical transition and very easy.
My business partner owns a film & TV production company (cdreamsentertainment.com) and I've worked on a lot of his projects with him.
He asked a few years ago if we should get into the drone business and my reply was an instant YES so we launched Pegasus Aerial Images(.com). A side note; I am also a Webmaster and I built both of the sited listed and many more.
For me, the drone's ability to shoot 4K d-log and high quality stills is everything. A drone is; the ability to put a camera in off-the-ground locations not otherwise possible.
I'm not 'into' drones - I'm 'into' flying cameras.
BTW: Beyond the vest, construction sites require a hard hat and if you wear your own as you introduce yourself onsite, it looks like you're ready to 'get it done'. I have my Co. logo sticker on the front of mine.
Get one at Ace, Lowe's, Harbor Freight and others - between $7 and $10 and well worth it.
I also have a plain white van (like the city) and I have commercial plates and I put out traffic cones front and rear and I can get away with parking pretty much anywhere.

Reactions: Crouching Leopard
There were some tree experts cutting trees on the power line for the power company, near my house they went to lunch and when they returned someone had stolen one of their chainsaws. The police came and were searching the woods and nearby fields. I put up the drone to see if I could see them from the air. The cops came over and were very interested in what the drone could see. I showed them the screen and their like wow thats really cool and then we got to talking about drones , what they could do and all. One of the cops said he was gonna get one. So it was a great experience for both us. We didn't find the guys with the drone, but they were caught trying to sneak out of the wood later that day.

Reactions: Crouching Leopard
And you made a friend in the police force who will be on yours and any other responsible drone pilots side should it be needed. Also, you educated one police officer about the positives of drones, who hopefully will educate other police officers Good job!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803