DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which ANDROID Phone Do You Use.

Angelfire

Reactions
Hi Pilots,

I have had a search round the forums and can't find this info I am looking for ( highly likely it is there and I can't find it) so apologies in advance if this has been discussed before, at 70 my memory is not what it was.

My phone at present is the HUAWEI P9 lite. Screen is a little small, for my aged eyes, the phone spec is just the bare minimum needed to run the DJI FLY APP so I have made the decision to spend my magnificent state pension on a new pay as you go phone. Max spend £400. So I have cast an eye over the web and come up with, Samsung Galaxy A51, A70 or A71. Xaiomi M9, Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro. Any one recommend any of these, or indeed similar.

I have looked at the Cult Of Drone Best DJI FLY Compatible Devices And Trouble Shooting, which has good info on it to be fair, but it would be nice to hear from Pilots on here who have experience of any or other sub £400 android phones that runs the App effortlessly.

Cheers.

I have a Motorola G7 Power. Last long after I use my 4 batteries for my Mavic Mini. The new G8 power is also a good buy. G7/G8 power has 5000mah battery. Screen could be brighter on G7 Power. Don't know about G8 in that regard.

Reactions: Angelfire
I use a Google Pixel 4 XL and sometimes my original Google Pixel XL. I prefer the Pixel phones because they aren't filled with bloatware and receive monthly updates directly from Google. I always buy them from Google rather than a carrier so I can unlock the bootloader and then root the device.

As I don't have an Air 2 so don't use the DJI Fly App so I don't know how useful this will be.
The only phone I have used to fly using the Go4 app is an Asus ZenPhone 3 with a 5.5inch HD display.
I normally flew using a tablet until I got a Smart Controller that up to now (as far as I know) isn't comparable with the Air 2.
My only reason for having the Asus phone was the ability to use dual sim cards and fit more memory at the same time.
Is it possible for you to use a tablet with the fly app as that will give you the advantage of a bigger screen.

I use my LG V20. As all Android phones, it recharge when pluged to the MM controller. So as this phone battery is removable, for every time I replace the battery on the drone, I also replace the phone battery (I had a few laying around), it makes my controller battery last much longer.

As I don't have an Air 2 so don't use the DJI Fly App so I don't know how useful this will be.
The only phone I have used to fly using the Go4 app is an Asus ZenPhone 3 with a 5.5inch HD display.
I normally flew using a tablet until I got a Smart Controller that up to now (as far as I know) isn't comparable with the Air 2.
My only reason for having the Asus phone was the ability to use dual sim cards and fit more memory at the same time.
Is it possible for you to use a tablet with the fly app as that will give you the advantage of a bigger screen.

I had thought of going down this route, but my intentions were to renew my phone and give the old one to her indoors as her phone is powered by steam, so we would both get an upgrade, so to speak.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Samsung Galaxy Note 8

I use my old phones for my drones so I have a dedicated phone for each drone. For my Spark, I use a Samsung S6 and for my MA2, I use a Samsung S7. Both work very well for my purposes. You may want to try finding a used S6 or S7, you can probable get one pretty reasonably.

I did a quick search on ebay: S7 Phones Ebay

I use my Galaxy S10+ for both Spark and MA2.

I had to buy a new phone in order to run the Fly app, so I went with the Samsung Galaxy A71. It has a 6.7" (170mm) Super AMOLED screen with a 20:9 aspect ratio. The ultra wide screen allows some of the screen icons to roll off of the live feed versus a typical 16:9 screen (see samples below). I have had no technical or performance issues running the Fly app and recording the screen during the entire flight with AZ Screen Recorder in full resolution (2400x1080).

20:9 aspect ratio photo mode
FlyApp-PhotoMode.jpg

20:9 aspect ratio video mode
FlyApp-VideoMode.jpg

Galaxy Note 8

I had to buy a new phone in order to run the Fly app, so I went with the Samsung Galaxy A71. It has a 6.7" (170mm) Super AMOLED screen with a 20:9 aspect ratio. The ultra wide screen allows some of the screen icons to roll off of the live feed versus a typical 16:9 screen (see samples below). I have had no technical or performance issues running the Fly app and recording the screen during the entire flight with AZ Screen Recorder in full resolution (2400x1080).

20:9 aspect ratio photo mode
View attachment 108618

20:9 aspect ratio video mode
View attachment 108619
hello, how is your experience with samsung a71 on the dji fly app?

Ícone Verificada pela comunidade

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost