DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which control app is better?

nhorsman

Reactions
New to drone flying. Have had my mavic for a month.

I was wondering if anyone here can give me the best control app for running on a Samsung Galazy S5

I am currently using the DJI go 4 app

I'm in the same boat and have been doing a bit of research and trials.

GO 4 - all around flight, nice variety of intelligent flight modes, a bit weak on autonomous flight, good camera control.

Litchi - Not as versatile on general flight and camera control but really strong on autonomous flight and flight planning/execution. I haven't (probably because I haven't looked hard enough) found a stand-alone user manual for Litchi. Maybe that doesn't come until you shell out the US$25. I'm going to buy it but I'm waiting for 1) the next sale (40% off the day I ordered my Mavic but I didn't see that) or 2) Win the lottery.

Drone Harmony - In BETA. Weak on general flight, just okay camera controls, easy to setup autonomous flights from either pre-programmed patterns or waypoint-by-waypoint entry but no web interface yet so that all has to get done on the device running the app. I haven't played around too much with POI on DH but it seems like it will be an interesting competitor to Litchi when they get the kinks ironed out.

Drone Deploy - Targeted to commercial use,site surveys, mapping etc. Haven't felt a need to try this one yet.

There may be others.

Reactions: Montypaks
Lichti has the Phantom Flight School which is a set of tutorials that goes into detail related to how one plans and executes autonomous flights. It can be found on the web under the Lichti Mission Hub. Mission Hub - Litchi

Just click on Phantom Fight School from the link above.

Reactions: CDBLUE
As another newbie pilot, I managed to get Litchi in their Black Friday sale and use it almost exclusively.

I found the Huskie-Flies Litchi tutorial videos very helpful and easy to watch.

I can't wait to try out my next way point mission, but it looks like I will have to wait until after Xmas now due to weather and travel arrangements. :(

Super stable for the Android version that I use. Never a crash yet (knock on wood) on my Nvidia Shield K1 Tablet.

Although I am told there is a free app for Android that is called Drone Harmony that allows one to plan Autonomous Waypoint missions and it is able to plot better in some regards. I am going to be experimenting with the app next.

I want to use it on a full size monitor and not an Andriod tablet screen so I am trying out Android Emulators for the PC to see if I can get Drone Harmony to download and run. No luck so far with the Andy Android Emulator.

Reactions: jjww
Lichti has the Phantom Flight School which is a set of tutorials that goes into detail related to how one plans and executes autonomous flights. It can be found on the web under the Lichti Mission Hub. Mission Hub - Litchi

Just click on Phantom Fight School from the link above.

I get the impression that the course is an intro to their full course which you would purchase. Not sure if that is the case.

Hi, new mavic owner here. Questions: I'm leery about updating the Go 4 app because it says the upgrade will make me log in before I fly. Really? I have a tablet with wifi, but no cell phone out in the field. I don't see how that can work? Am I missing something? Also, I have heard the aircraft will continue on it's way if the app crashes. It that true?
Thanks

No and No.
When you update Go4 you log in once and once only. You can do this at home on your wifi.
Always recheck all your settings after doing an update, especially your Return to Home setting and your set altitude that Mavic will rise to when RTH is activated.
But Mavic will always respond to Controller even if app crashes. The app is only a secondary screen to show you telemetry and aid in simplified controls via the RC. The RC ALWAYS has control. Only and only if RC loses control signal due to turn off or distance or interference will Mavic initiate RTH. NOT the app.

Here's the Litchi manual.
And I wacked this together yesterday with Drone Harmony.

Attachments

• Litchi P3 1_10_16.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
I really like Go 4 a lot but I find myself using litchi a lot more just because of building missions on the desktop or on my phone without flying them first. hope dji does something about this soon.

Well DJI does have Ground Station Pro for IOS devices only.

Its a free download from the app store and claims to be compatible with the Mavic Pro.
There is a caveat though. There are in app purchases in order to actually fly ones waypoint created missions. So its actually a pay for app that is very similar in features to Lichti.

DJI GS Pro on the App Store

Lichti offers other modes though like First Person View and Panorama as well as other features. So if one is going to shell out the $ it may be better to get Lichti as it has more features included.

Choose ones platform carefully though as there are 2 version that cost the Android version and the IOS version are paid apps separately.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123