DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which is better memory card 64 or 128?

SamySh6

Reactions
Hi
I am new here, and today my Mini 2 arrived as a gift to me
Which is better memory card 64 or 128? and what's the difference?
Thanks

Hi
I am new here, and today my Mini 2 arrived as a gift to me
Which is better memory card 64 or 128? and what's the difference?
Thanks
Either card can hold much, much more video and still images than you can capture in a single flight.
The important question is: How much of your work are you prepared to lose at once?

Either card can hold much, much more video and still images than you can capture in a single flight.
The important question is: How much of your work are you prepared to lose at once?
Thanks for answering
I am not a professional, but I would like to give the drone test a try.

How long or photos can you store a 64 or 128 card?

I'm not a professional either. I have chosen to use 64gb cards. I haven't filled one yet but I believe I should get just over an hour and a half of video on a card at 4k. That, roughly, equates to the most I can shoot utilizing all three of my batteries.

Samy, welcome to the forum. I tried to make an effort that every time I fly I will upload all the videos/photos to my hard drive, that way if one of the memory cards goes bad I will not loose much. Also, this site is a good source for how much you can save in the cards. Enjoy the forum.

You are asking how long is a peice of string.
The answer is it depends on the resolutions of the images.
64G will out last several flights. So both would be fine from that perspective.
However the risk with a HUGE card is that if the drone is lost then, unless you have downloaded copies of what is on the card, you could loose an awful lot of imagery.
With the smaller card I suspect you are likely to backup more frequently and therefore stand to lose less if the drone is lost.

A 64gb is more than sufficient for at least two or three flights, depending on how you shoot. What I would tell you to do is buy two 64gb cards, Keep one in your drone and one in the case. There's going to come a day when you'll forget to pull it out of your computer. It's happened to me... but I had that spare in the case ? . In my case I have two drones and have memory card sets dedicated to each drone and live by the aforementioned protocol and don't expect to ever have an issue.

What's nice about having two 64gb cards is they are can be the same or less than a single 128gb card. You'll never have a problem with the 64 gig card as long as you're diligent about downloading your files after each flight (strongly recommended) and then reformatting your cards when you see you don't have enough space left for upcoming missions.

Good luck.

64GB hold plenty of videos and pictures. They came bad eventually and 64 is cheaper.

I could only get 128GB at the time, it is way too much. A little bit of 4K and photos on two flights would use up to 30GB. Always backup after my flights.

64GB is more than enough IMO, also SD cards fail, bigger the card, more to lose.

Reactions: Thomas B
Last edited:
Reactions: _gonzales_
You can get 64GB cards that can do up to 90MB/s.
“SanDisk Extreme MicroSDXC 64GB 90MB/s”

The 128GB card that I have goes up to 160MB/s.
“SanDisk Extreme MicroSDXC 128GB 160MB/s”

I think your getting your read and write speeds mixed up for the Sandisk Extreme SDXC

When I 1st started flying a 64GB card was about 30-40 bucks. They are so cheap now I keep several in my drone case. Depending on what I’m shooting (paying gig or just for fun) I remove the card and catalog it as well as downloading on my computer. I probably have 25 or so cards now but then I have several drones so it makes sense to have adequate backup. I also have a few 16 and 32 cards that I sometimes use if I’m just out flying for fun not expecting to capture anything interesting. I just shoot video and usually reformat after viewing. Just review what is on your card and if there is nothing interesting get in the habit of reformatting it during your preflight checklist. Good luck.

Thanks for answering
I am not a professional, but I would like to give the drone test a try.

32 gb is more than enough. I swap them out and start with clear card on every flight. I upload what i want to keep to en external hard drive. The vids and pics that are junk I delete.

Reactions: Rudiger
Your not asking the correct question here. Sorry to be blunt. All answers are basically correct, but are directed towards storage.

What is more important than than storage of a card is the speed at which said card can store your 4k images.
So the question for videographers and professional photographers are most always firstly, how fast is the particular card and then secondly, you pick a size that fits your needs.
I have owned 4 drones at this point, the present being the MA2 and it requires a more expensive card, because it is recording a tremendous amount of data at 4k and at increased frame rates. And images at a whopping 48k.
So you will find that to capture 4k video without seeing a gittery video, purchase a card with a high rate.

The two 128gb cards I used on the Phantom 4P, did Not give me the capture rates needed for the MA2, so I now have 2 64gb cards with. They are Sandisk Extreme Pro as per pic.

Attachments

• 2021-01-22-08-31-40.jpg
    2021-01-22-08-31-40.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 47
Your not asking the correct question here. Sorry to be blunt. All answers are basically correct, but are directed towards storage.

What is more important than than storage of a card is the speed at which said card can store your 4k images.
So the question for videographers and professional photographers are most always firstly, how fast is the particular card and then secondly, you pick a size that fits your needs.
I have owned 4 drones at this point, the present being the MA2 and it requires a more expensive card, because it is recording a tremendous amount of data at 4k and at increased frame rates. And images at a whopping 48k.
So you will find that to capture 4k video without seeing a gittery video, purchase a card with a high rate.

The two 128gb cards I used on the Phantom 4P, did Not give me the capture rates needed for the MA2, so I now have 2 64gb cards with. They are Sandisk Extreme Pro as per pic.
Tap on image to see sharper image.

• Wow
Reactions: Cliff1028
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ