DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which lights do you use?

TedShred

Reactions
I'm trying to decide which to get.
Any input is appreciated.
I'm looking for max daytime visibility without sacrificing performance. I have a Marco Polo mounted also so is weight going to be a factor?

* Flytron STROBON Cree

OR

* Firehouse ARC

I use 4 Firehouse ARC2 (4 CREE LEDs in each one) on each arm in Aerial Pixel Mounts. Visibility is 2.5 miles in midday AZ sun. Total weight is in grams, not ounces. Weight is not a consideration. Run 3-4 hrs/charge. 2 white facing rear, a red and a green on either front arm arranged like full size plane. I have them on Spark, MPP, and M2P. This setup will cost $100 - $125.
Should not interfere with your MP, they don’t with mine.

I use 4 Firehouse ARC2 (4 CREE LEDs in each one) on each arm in Aerial Pixel Mounts. Visibility is 2.5 miles in midday AZ sun. Total weight is in grams, not ounces. Weight is not a consideration. Run 3-4 hrs/charge. 2 white facing rear, a red and a green on either front arm arranged like full size plane. I have them on Spark, MPP, and M2P. This setup will cost $100 - $125.
Should not interfere with your MP, they don’t with mine.
How visible are the red and green when facing you? Obviously not as much as the white but do you find it to not be an issue or would you go with white all around if you did it again?

How visible are the red and green when facing you? Obviously not as much as the white but do you find it to not be an issue or would you go with white all around if you did it again?
They are not quite as visible easily, but I like the arrangement for visually determining the aircraft orientation. So I personally would not put white all ‘round. Determining orientation in a new flight area is sometimes difficult or cumbersome via the controlling device, or if the CS, pad, or phone crashes and all you have is the DJI controller.

We also use Arc-2s w/Aerial Pixel mounts. Very lightweight combination. We put a green strobe on the front starboard arm, a red one the rear port arm and white on the other arms, so we have a very bright light fore and aft, plus orientation information. The one weak spot is viewing the aircraft abeam, but just a slight rotation brings the strobes back into view.

Reactions: TedShred
I'm looking for max daytime visibility without sacrificing performance. I have a Marco Polo mounted also so is weight going to be a factor?

* Flytron STROBON Cree

OR

* Firehouse ARC
I have the firehouse arc two no problem seeing them in the bright sun light but don't look directly at them when you turn them on or you won't be able to see for a couple of hours.

Reactions: Thomas B
Firehouse ARC-4 strobes is on my MP. I've found the red and green color (not so much the flash) are difficult to see at distances over 3000' out except dusk or darker. But even though the rule is suppose to be keeping site of your aircraft, strobes don't help a lot with showing me a forward or reverse direction at those distances. I can usually see side to side or up and down movement. I keep a good set of binoculars on hand so if I do lose sight of it (I know its aided vision) and with those I can see the red and green colors much easier. I usually let a spotter do the scoping but if I get in a jam I'll let er hover until I find it then fly her out of harms way. Obviously the terrain and cover has a lot to do with distance flying while trying to keep in VLOS.

* Flytron STROBON Cree

OR

* Firehouse ARC

Strobon with my MA and Spark and Firehouse on my M2

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98