DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which micro SD?

Jethroe12

Reactions
I have a gift card for RS Components and I have just bought my first drone which is a Mavic Air. :)

I need a micro SD but I'm unsure which one I need?

Link to all the micro SD they sell

SanDisk Extreme?

I'm looking to buy a 128gb so I don't have to worry about storage as much.

Advice would be massively appreciated so I can get it in the air ASAP :D

I'm excited haha

I use Sandisk extreme or Pro in 64 or 128Gb. I use the same in my GoPro for years, very fast and reliable.

Another vote for Sandisk; I've been using them for about 15 years now and haven't had a bad card yet, although I've had a very limited number of recoverable write errors.

I also prefer multiple smaller cards rather than putting all my eggs in one basket, so I have a bunch of 64GB cards shared between a few devices. When I suspect a problem, I immediately pull the card and put in a clean one, then use data recovery tools if required to recover any images /video that can't simply be copied to a PC later.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
I bought a Delkin Devices Black Memory Card 32Gb which cost me approx £35 for my new Air and I have to say I am very impressed with the spec of it and the warranty which I have pasted below.
  • 3 Times Stronger & Virtually Unbreakable
    • SD: Able to Withstand up to 45 lbs. of Force
    • CF: Able to Withstand up to 80 lbs. of Force
  • Waterproof & Dustproof (SD & microSD)
  • Rated for Extreme Temperatures (SD & microSD)
  • Fast, Flawless Performance up to 300MB/s
  • Free 48-Hour Replacement
In addition to our “Lifetime Warranty” policy, Delkin BLACK memory cards and those with the “48HR logo” come with a premium 48-hour replacement guarantee. We will happily replace any non-working card within 48 hours or less (not including weekends), prior to receiving your non-working card. You can also replace your card over the counter at any authorized Delkin BLACK reseller.

Just make sure that the card you get is 'UHS Speed Rating 3' ... You'll see this as a small U with a 3 in it on the card. UHS 3 cards are rated with data write speed that is guaranteed to accommodate HD video streams ... e.g.
ScanDisk-Extreme-Pro-microSD-press.jpg

Reactions: Thomas B
I also have the Sandisk Extreme 128GB.
Just make sure the classification is high enough (UHS class 3, or V class 30 minimum)

This page shows the differences in classes.
It's in Dutch, but is has tables in the article showing the different classes (class, uhs, v) with their respective writing speeds.

Het verschil tussen Speed Class, UHS Speed Class en snelheidsnoteringen (prestaties) voor SD/SDHC/SDXC kaarten, Video snelheid

The Mavic Air has a maximum bitrate of 100Mbps, which equates to 12.5 MBps
(Notice the small and big letter M for bit or byte)
The tables in the article show the speed in MBps

Looking on the DJI Mavic Air page, they recommend the Sandisk Extreme V30 cards (and some others).

Wether you buy 32, 64, 128 or even more is totally up to your preference and your budget.
You could choose to split in several smaller cards or 1 bigger card. I'd say don't go to small as 4K footage eats up your storage quickly

The Mavic Air has a maximum bitrate of 100Mbps, which equates to 12.5 MBps
(Notice the small and big letter M for bit or byte)
The tables in the article show the speed in MBps
I'm sure you meant ... (Notice the small and big letter B for bit or byte)

Reactions: OhioJoe
Well, DJI list Sandisk as being a preferred brand. There are many different brands around and many of them meet the stated specifications and will be more than good enough of course but Sandisk are listed by DJI, they're relatively cheap and available everywhere, you just need to be careful of fakes when buying from unknown online vendors.

I have, well I don't know how many I have but across the fleet of aircraft I have one card per battery per aircraft, (I'll get to that in a minute) I have 7 aircraft each with multiple batteries so it's a lot. I started off buying Sandisk extreme but now days the Sandisk Extreme Pro are becoming very common and that's what I buy. I have not had a problem with either in any aircraft but with the air being rated at 100Mbps output faster has to be better right?

As to size, my viewpoint is a little different to most. I don't buy big cards. Part of that is because I am flying commercially most of the time. If I am out flying a 5 hour job and recording the whole days work on say a single 128Gb card and I lose the aircraft on the last flight of the day that's upsetting but I am insured, I'll get the aircraft replaced eventually. If I lose the whole day of footage that's more than upsetting. it means I have to do the whole job again from scratch. At the best the job for the customer is going to be delayed, At worst I lose a customer. Sometimes the value of the footage represtents more than the cost of the aircraft. Even recreational pilots sometimes remark that losing the great footage as well as the aircraft was adding insult to injury.

The other reason is there is some anecdotal evidence that larger cards fail more often then smaller cards. Now, although I am a tech by trade I've never actually taken time out to make records and test this and I can't say as I've really noticed myself but it's a common theme among some people. Our old friend from "Drone Valley" of YouTube reknown bangs on about that quite often. He's been flying R.P.A. longer than me so maybe he knows.

A 32Gb card will hold about 40 minutes of 4K video give or take, the Phantom 4 Pro v2 or Mavic 2 will fly for around 30 minutes under perfect conditions. I buy 32 Gb cards and I change the card whenever I change the battery. I have a written pre and post flight checklist for each aircraft and I and my employees follow them. I have it specified "Change Micro SD card along with battery". As I take them out I put them in a holder in order and at the end of the day I have everything I did in flight by flight order which makes it easier to find the footage/stills I am looking for. They are ridiculously cheap and I haven't had one die on me yet.

Just me $AU0.02 worth of course, as long as it meets the specs in the end any reputable card will do the job. I take safeguarding my images as I go a little more seriously but as I have outlined above I have a reason. If it doesn't bother you then by all means buy one larger one and fly all day.

Regards
Ari

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest