DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which ND Filters are worth getting?

MPRF12345

Reactions
Usually I see being sold ND 4, 8, 16, 32 and, sometimes, 64 as well.
Which are worth getting and which don't really make a difference?
Which do you usually use and which are just there sitting in the box?

Last edited:
Usually I see being sold ND 4, 8, 16, 32 and, sometimes, 64 as well.
Which are worth getting and which don't really make a difference?
Which do you usually use and which are just there sitting in the box?
If you what to spend the dollars, go with polarpro brand, but I will say that other brands are good also (Freewell & Neewer) I have all of them for different drones that I have. I would suggest getting NDPL type (polarize), they help reduce glare and bring out colors more. Depending on where you live will factor in what you will be needing. The standard set comes with 4/8/16, but you can get large sets that go up to 32 & 64. If you live in a cool climate you should not have to go above a 16. If you are in sunshine state (Florida, Arizona, New Mexico, California) a 32 and 64 can come in handy.

I got the Skyreat set. Not too expensive and I'm happy with them for video.

I flew the three NDs (64, 32 & 16) back to back on a 'medium bright' day. MM camera was set to manual, 24 fps, shutter speed 1/50 sec

The ND 16 was perfect for the light conditions. The other two were too dark but on a very bright day would work equally well I'm sure.

No more having to crank the shutter speed up to 1/1000+ for me!

Reactions: MPRF12345
I bought the 6 piece Tiffen set. So far, so good. I didn't know the other brands, but from my past in photography, I selected Tiffen.

Now....I find the Mini filters are a bit, well, "trying" to put on. Kind of like putting birth control on a live fly. A bit of patience and its on. FYI, you can leave them on as the gimbal cover can still be used with a filter installed.

Reactions: MPRF12345
I use PolarPro. IMHO you don't really need more than ND8, 16 & 32 for video (maybe ND64 if you are in super bright conditions). ND4 is a waste of money as you wont use. If you are looking at slow shutter speeds for photography then a ND512 & 1000 would be useful to allow you long exposures.

I would not go with anything below 16ND.
2/4/8 you should be able to adjust the light settings with the flight program to suit needs.

I got the Sunnylife full collection: MCUV, CPL, ND4, ND8, ND16, ND32, NDPL4, NDPL8, NDPL16, NDPL32; Freewell ND1000 and ND2000 for pictures at slow shutter speed; and an ND64 without a name...I'm happy with the Sunnys, good quality, and low price.

I got the Sunnylife full collection: MCUV, CPL, ND4, ND8, ND16, ND32, NDPL4, NDPL8, NDPL16, NDPL32; Freewell ND1000 and ND2000 for pictures at slow shutter speed; and an ND64 without a name...I'm happy with the Sunnys, good quality, and low price.

Good to know. I was actually gonna make a new post specifically about that brand because it is like half the price of other brands somehow

Reactions: pescobar61
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54