Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which one to buy?

Which one to buy?

• Mavic Air 1 (see below)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Mavic Pro 1 (see below)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mavic Mini 2 Fly More Combo (see below)

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Mavic Air 2 (see below)

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Mavic Air 2S (see below)

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

eligri

Reactions
Hey'a!

After having my mavic air 1 lost and refunded during repair, I am now on the market for a new drone. Ignoring most laws and regulations (I usually fly in the middle of nowhere, so could probably go unnoticed in a UFO ;) ), what would you guys recommend?

I have the following options:

DJI Mavic Air 1 with 1 battery @ 450-500$ (New without warranty) (Swedish or USA bought)
DJI Mavic Pro 1 with 1 battery @ 450-500$ (Used without warranty) (Swedish or USA bought)
DJI Mavic Mini 2 Fly More combo @ 570$ (New with warranty) (Swedish bought)
DJI Mavic Air 2 with 1 battery @ 799$ (New with warranty) (USA bought)
DJI Mavic Air 2S with 1 battery @ 999$ (New with warranty) (USA bought)

Lower price is of course better, I'm not rich but can splurge if it's a solid upgrade. I am a hobby flyer. Sometimes record when visiting the countryside, and sometimes while skiing. Portability is a plus, but so is camera quality.
Been flying drones since around 2013, so consider myself quite experienced. Used to flying with only a FC, but extra sensors & GPS are always nice. Range should be reliable to 1km, which I assume all above options have. Warranty is always nice, but not so required. I can fix all/most issues myself if need be.

What would you guys & gals recommend?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd go with either the Air 2 or Air 2S since you apparently plan to use it quite a bit. A year or two after you bought a drone you aren't likely to be complaining about how much extra it cost versus other options, and by then you'll probably have found reasons to be glad you had the extra capability. Just my opinion ...

Reactions: Kilboar
To me the Fly App as compared to DJI Go 4 is reason enough for me not to pick any of the named on list (sans MP1, MA1), but YMMV. It depends on what your doing with it and what you plan to do with it...and even more so what you don't plan to do with it when bought...but can with third party support. Thus why I chose a M2Z (which isn't listed either :p)

To me the Fly App as compared to DJI Go 4 is reason enough for me not to pick any of the named on list (sans MP1, MA1), but YMMV. It depends on what your doing with it and what you plan to do with it...and even more so what you don't plan to do with it when bought...but can with third party support. Thus why I chose a M2Z (which isn't listed either :p)

It's way to expensive, hence not listed :)

I could get a used Mavic 2 Pro for 1000$, but is it even better than the Air 2S?
Doesn't look like it is on paper.

I could also get a used Mavic 2 Zoom for 700$, so same price as Air 2. Is it better than the air 2 though?
Looks on paper like worse camera, worse range, worse battery time, etc.

Last edited:
Leaning more towards that brand new Mini 2 with Fly More Combo for 570$ locally (i.e has warranty).
Heard it's worse than the Air 1. Is that really correct though?

Worse is subjective... but I have a friend who hasn't flown his Air 1 since he got the Mini 2 and is considering selling it.

Worse is subjective... but I have a friend who hasn't flown his Air 1 since he got the Mini 2 and is considering selling it.
Just read a comparison on here saying the Mini 2 is strictly worse than the Air 1 in flying and recording ability. But I honestly have a hard time believing that..

So my research seems to show Air 1 is better due to sensors, but worse in all other regards. Is that really the case?

Eventually GO 4 will die... some version of Android or IOS will kill it, and unless you have a dedicated flying device that can remain forever on some older OS version, your going to have to upgrade..

And of course there is the specter of forced obsolescence, pretty soon, DJI is going to drop any support for these older models, you crash them or they have some other failure, repairs will become expensive or impossible depending on the availability of parts..

I think if $$ are concern, go Mini 2, if you want better quality, better flight characteristics, get a MA2S or secondarily a MA2.

Eventually GO 4 will die... some version of Android or IOS will kill it, and unless you have a dedicated flying device that can remain forever on some older OS version, your going to have to upgrade..

And of course there is the specter of forced obsolescence, pretty soon, DJI is going to drop any support for these older models, you crash them or they have some other failure, repairs will become expensive or impossible depending on the availability of parts..

I think if $$ are concern, go Mini 2, if you want better quality, better flight characteristics, get a MA2S or secondarily a MA2.
Support not so needed. Built several drones myself, could handle basically all repairs. Got a nice wide arsenal of older ios devices that could run old apps should that day come :)

Still better to go Mini 2?
Was thinking of going Mini 2, then buy a used Mavic 2 pro when it drops in price. Figure a new model is bound to come within a year or two, and that'll drive the price way down for the current flagship.

Support not so needed. Built several drones myself, could handle basically all repairs. Got a nice wide arsenal of older ios devices that could run old apps should that day come :)

Still better to go Mini 2?
Was thinking of going Mini 2, then buy a used Mavic 2 pro when it drops in price. Figure a new model is bound to come within a year or two, and that'll drive the price way down for the current flagship.
Nice that you have the skills to do repairs yourself if you can find the parts.

Its hard to know when older models will fall to prices that one might consider affordable. Seems for various reasons so far they are still up there in price for the Pro's.. It could be a while, could be shortly after DJI releases the infamous Mavic 3, or whatever it maybe called. Even then, if it does not contain the features that Pro's think they want or need, older models could still maintain a high value even if they become obsoleted..

Ultimately if it boils down to strictly $$, the Mini 2 is a good value for what it does.. However its not going to be as good as a Pro, or as good as the MA2(S) series. which will cost you double a Mini or more.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada