DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which phone or tablet for DJI Fly app

JelP

Reactions
Hi,

I would like to buy a phone or a tablet (preferably a phone) to be use almost exclusively with the DJI RC N1 controller and the DJI Fly app.
Which phone would you recommend?
Besides the luminosity, should I be vigilant of any other specification?

I have to say the Tipltek is probably the ultimate all around tablet. It can be attached easily with a hooky thing from originaldobo on etsy and has about the best brightness level of anything you can get and it doesn't diminish in heat like the iPad does. I live in Alaska and even here on a hot summer day the iPad will go do dim it can be hard to see anything and that's why I got the Tipltek. It's larger than a phone but not so huge and cumbersome as a large iPad. I use the Tripltek as well as my phone and my 12.9" ipad at times but if could only have one it would be the Tripltek for sure. It's battery life is, btw, awesome.

I would buy an RC-Pro. Personally, the brightness, quality and ease of setup makes it superior to any phone/tablet.

Let me add some info above what was said by AKDrone about the TripleTek 8 Pro.

After buying my Mavic 3 in January 2022 I was faced with a decision to either pay more for the RCPro with an integral bright display or buy the TriplTek Pro 8 which was 8” diagonal and an advertised luminance of 1200 nits. When DJI didn’t initially offer waypoints I decided to go for the TriplTek since I was feeling that it was more likely to support Litchi, not ever imagining that DJI would decide later to not release the SDK for the M3.

The TriplTek has some key advantages: large 8” screen and lots more brightness than my current iPhone XR screen. It has very nice battery life. The downside is that it weighs a hefty 698 gms (24.6oz) with their metal bracket attached for mounting it. That is nearly 3X the weight of a DJI Mini! As a result, it is very top-heavy when used with the RCN1 so you need a special mount and a lanyard to use this.

While is a great size and noticeably bright it isn’t bright enough to totally compete with the sun on a bright sunny day. That would require 2500 nits per many industry experts. What is worse, the unit I have has an average white on-axis luminance of only about 950 nits, well short of the advertised 1200 nits. I am not sure if this is typical.

The electronic display industry standard for measuring luminance is published by the Society for Information Display (SID) and is called the International Display Measurement Standard (IDMS). Section 5.3 defines the method for measuring luminance which consists of measuring on axis with a standard luminance meter with maximum amount of red+green+blue applied to get the highest level of white luminance. It is stated that one should use a frustrum tube to ensure that ambient light is not striking the portion of the screen being measured. One should sample at least 50 pixels of the display. Section 5.5.1 defines the measurement of the average peak white level by stating that at least 5 points need to be measured for luminance and then averaged.

When a manufacturer specifies the brightness of a display the quantitative spec means the average white luminance. Most display module manufacturers warranty that number to within 10% but do that to ensure that the worst-case sample exceeds that advertised value for luminance.

I brought my TriplTek 8 Pro to a colleague of mine who as a consultant has a display metrology lab. With the TripleTek set to 100% brightness he measured a fully white screen at the center of my tablet using a Topcon BM<-9A, an instrument that sells for about $2500 and is well known in the display industry. The brightest that we were able to measure was 1095 nits at the center, but other regions measured as low as 824 and many measured in the neighborhood of 950 nits. A 5-spot measurement averaged 938 nits or 262n nits short of the 1200 nit spec.

With this finding I returned it to TripleTek for evaluation. They tested it and then wrote, “We tested your display with a clear white screen indoors, the display is over 1100 nits in most areas. and under direct sun conditions is well over 1200. The test must be done in a lab with a particular white test color screen to be able to determinate the real brightness’ They included this photo of their test. Notice that their meter reads 1065, so if it was over 1100 nits most places one would have thought they would have shown that. Clearly, they don’t understand the need to isolate the measurement from ambient brightness, as indicated in their statement. I asked to speak with one of their metrology engineers, but nobody bothered to reach out to me.

When this tablet was returned to me, I had it measured again with the Topcon and the measurements were a repeat of what was measured before. I stand by my statement that this unit has an average peak luminance of 950 nits or less. To be fair I only measured this one tablet and perhaps mine was below par for what they ship, but I am sharing this so that others will be aware of this possible discrepancy.

I will add that just because it is about 25% shy of spec, that doesn’t mean that it will appear 25% less bright since the eye has logarithmic response to luminance. It still is far brighter than any other tablet I have used. Apple claims that the new iPhone Pro 14 can run at 1200 nits and it probably will, but it isn’t so nice and large as this display. If the Pro controller is really 800 nits it won’t look that much dimmer than the TriplTek and it is certainly smaller diagonal, albeit much more convenient to set up and use. The other good thing about the TripleTek is that it produces this brightness without the use of any fan. A friend of mine with a high brightness CrystalSky added a fan to his to ensure that it didn’t overheat.

In short, I plan to continue to use my TriplTek 8 Pro because it is the best option now for a large bright display, but it isn't everything that their advertising would suggest.

Attachments

• TriplTek Picture1.png
    TriplTek Picture1.png
    397.1 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Armando Jr
I solve the brightness problem by always staying in the shade.

Reactions: andyj
I would buy an RC-Pro. Personally, the brightness, quality and ease of setup makes it superior to any phone/tablet.
I don't have an RC-Pro, but I have seen one in operation. I have the Tripltek 8. The Tripltek is brighter and the screen is about 2.2 times bigger. It's much easier to operate on that larger screen. So I'd say, strictly from the perspective of viewing experience, the Tripltek is superior

but it is heavier. However, with a decent mounting bracket and lanyard I do not believe that extra weight is that noticeable.

ease of setup? Maybe....probably...especially if you keep your drone in your vehicle at all times and happen to drive by a droning opportunity you can't pass up. But I don't keep my drones in the car at all times. Too much chance of theft. What I do however, is setup the RC-N1 with the Tripltek before I go out for a drone flight or two. I then just pull the drone and control out and fly, much like with the RC-Pro. What is the difference in boot-up then? a few seconds?

I've also seen plenty of range tests where the RC-Pro and RC-N1 performed about equally. Now, I know that the controls on the RC-Pro are adaptable to a pilot's needs. That would have some decent value especially for an experienced pilot. I also suspect that the stronger connection between the RC-Pro and the drone, at least for the Mavic 3, probably means that you won't have as much signal degradation around trees and other obstacles. That has some definite value.

but with a 400 dollar price difference between the Tripltek and the RC-Pro, those specific values of the RC-pro do come at a pretty steep price.

then there is the reality that my Tripltek is simply an excellent Android tablet when it's not acting as a drone controller. That has value too. it's also the case that the Tripltek works with my Mini 2 and the RC-Pro doesn't. The Tripltek will also work with Autel and Skydio drones where the RC-Pro won't

but as I said I don't have the RC-Pro so maybe I'm missing nuances of operational advantages for that controller

I solve the brightness problem by always staying in the shade.
I saw a guy in a park flying a drone and he was wearing one of those great big umbrella hats. I can see how that would work really well...just as long as it wasn't a very windy day

Reactions: shb
I don't have an RC-Pro, but I have seen one in operation. I have the Tripltek 8. The Tripltek is brighter and the screen is about 2.2 times bigger. It's much easier to operate on that larger screen. So I'd say, strictly from the perspective of viewing experience, the Tripltek is superior

but it is heavier. However, with a decent mounting bracket and lanyard I do not believe that extra weight is that noticeable.

ease of setup? Maybe....probably...especially if you keep your drone in your vehicle at all times and happen to drive by a droning opportunity you can't pass up. But I don't keep my drones in the car at all times. Too much chance of theft. What I do however, is setup the RC-N1 with the Tripltek before I go out for a drone flight or two. I then just pull the drone and control out and fly, much like with the RC-Pro. What is the difference in boot-up then? a few seconds?

I've also seen plenty of range tests where the RC-Pro and RC-N1 performed about equally. Now, I know that the controls on the RC-Pro are adaptable to a pilot's needs. That would have some decent value especially for an experienced pilot. I also suspect that the stronger connection between the RC-Pro and the drone, at least for the Mavic 3, probably means that you won't have as much signal degradation around trees and other obstacles. That has some definite value.

but with a 400 dollar price difference between the Tripltek and the RC-Pro, those specific values of the RC-pro do come at a pretty steep price.

then there is the reality that my Tripltek is simply an excellent Android tablet when it's not acting as a drone controller. That has value too. it's also the case that the Tripltek works with my Mini 2 and the RC-Pro doesn't. The Tripltek will also work with Autel and Skydio drones where the RC-Pro won't

but as I said I don't have the RC-Pro so maybe I'm missing nuances of operational advantages for that controller
Yes, the TripleTek Pro 8 is an excellent tablet. When I said it was heavy what I really meant was that adding it to the RCN1 makes the assembly extremely top heavy. With a lanyard you don’t so much notice the weight, but adding this to the RCN1 feels rather clumsy to hold.

Hey guys!
I have a mini 2 and I have vision problems.

I need high brightness and bigger screen!

As I see here, the best option would be the same triptek tablet ?

Is it compatible with the remote control of the mini 2 ?

Thank you always!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo