DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which type of license do I put my Mavic Pro under?

gyeung743

Reactions
I have a DJI Mavic Pro and I am going to get a license because it is a mandatory thing now. So I go to the FAA drone registration website, and I go to the register drone. Then it shows "Fly sUAS under Part 107" and "Fly Model Aircraft under Section 336"? Which one do i choose? I read the description and everything, but I'm actually clueless which one I click. I feel like this is a dumb question. But thanks in advance.

Reactions: rusell
I have a DJI Mavic Pro and I am going to get a license because it is a mandatory thing now. So I go to the FAA drone registration website, and I go to the register drone. Then it shows "Fly sUAS under Part 107" and "Fly Model Aircraft under Section 336"? Which one do i choose? I read the description and everything, but I'm actually clueless which one I click. I feel like this is a dumb question. But thanks in advance.
Depends on what you want to do with your Mavic.
If you are just flying for fun like the majority of drone owners, you just need to register as a recreational flyer under 336. Although 336 was repealed in 2018, most rules have not changed for recreational Pilots other than placing registration number on the exterior of the aircraft.
If you plan to start a business and make money using your Mavic, you will then need to register under part 107. However, you will be required to study and take the part 107 aeronautical test first in order to validate your part 107 registration.
The testing will cost approximately $250 per test and can only be done at certain qualified testing locations.

Last edited:
Reactions: ItsDarts
Where are you finding that a “license” is mandatory???

I feel like this is a dumb question
It's not really dumb at all. The FAA's descriptions make it sound like you should choose Part 107 for recreational flying. Perhaps they will update those descriptions some day so the majority of people have a clue as to what they are trying to describe.

Reactions: Drone Master
Because you are 15 years old, you do not meet the minimum age requirement for the Part 107 Certification. Therefore your only choice is to register under the 336 option. Remember, as already mentioned, you are registering yourself, not your drone. All drones you own will be covered under that registration and should be labeled with that registration#.

It can depend, some states issue you license plates and registration
Just register it as a hobbyist for 5 bucks, then once you become familiar with flying and the industry you can move on from there with getting licensed to shoot commerical footage to sell for Clients, as well to fly in certain areas that hobbyists cannot...Theres a lot of info to learn, take your time and understand everything.... Good Luck, - Enjoy!

That part was a joke, forgot to remove it before I posted... I wouldn't be surprised if license plates are next

For now register your drone as hobbyist for now... Read as much as you can on the do's and don'ts of flying your drone. Theres tons of information to know but you can never learn enough. Examples: Where you can fly, such as you cannot fly within 5 miles of an airport, helipad,Air Force Base (unless you get prior authorization from the control tower that controls the airspace you't intersted in flying ). You cannot fly at nighttime... Register as a Hobbyist, it costs 5 bucks on the FAA website. Write that number on a piece of paper and tape it to the outside of your drone, so it's visible. The main thing to remember is if you're not sure then ask, there is never a stupid question when it comes to this hobby.. Good luck,

Reactions: Lopez0015
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851