DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which video editing software?

m4v1c

Reactions
I've never edited videos before and have literally no experience (only have exp with Adobe Lightroom for DSLR shots); after getting the DJI Mavic, I've really gotten into editing short videos (mostly of nature). The videos I'm planning to make are smooth aerial shots over the city/landscape, nothing too professional :p. I maybe plan to get into the time lapse game with a GoPro or DSLR in the future, but as of right know just want to focus on drone shots.

What video editing software is recommended for someone new? Everyone I've talked to seems to tell me to try Final Cut Pro X (or Adobe); is that too complicated? I love to learn all the ins & outs of mainstream professional software, but also don't want to spend more time learning the program and less time shooting. Again, only doing this as a hobby and posting it on instagram/fb/youtube.

Thanks!

I use Adobe Premiere Pro. Seems complicated at first but very short learning curve due to tutorials found on Youtube.

Reactions: Ausdrone
FinalCut Pro X is the one I use.
It's quite complex and the learning curve is hard, but for editing Mavic videos you probably wont need a lot learn.

Reactions: Mista_Fox
Hi m4v1c

I use PowerDirecor 14, good all round editor, and not so pricey.
If you want post production editing capabilities, then you need the right tools, and PowerDirector 14 or 15 has them, but there is a learning curve, however there is a huge amount of YouTube tutorials on each of the editing tools.

Have Fun....
Waylander

Final cut pro X is fantastic but has so many features I dont use on. If you want something a little less powerful then iMovie is fine (and free).

Adobe Premiere Pro for me - steep learning curve for the more advanced stuff but there are plenty of YouTube video tutorials to get you going quickly. Plus it merges well in my work flow with Photos hop and Lightroom.

Just curios since I have no manual on the video editor in DJI Go 4. Is it possible to cut out parts of the movie in it like the middle between start and end of clip. I do not find that cut tool in that editor and it seems like a basic thing that should be there. Sometimes I just want to edit a clip on my phone to send it out or something.

Hi m4v1c

I use PowerDirecor 14, good all round editor, and not so pricey.
If you want post production editing capabilities, then you need the right tools, and PowerDirector 14 or 15 has them, but there is a learning curve, however there is a huge amount of YouTube tutorials on each of the editing tools.

Have Fun....
Waylander

So I downloaded PD 15 as a trial. I can't load the 4k mp4 videos, it thinks there broken. I've download a trial version conversion program to convert them, then they become usable. Any thoughts?

So I downloaded PD 15 as a trial. I can't load the 4k mp4 videos, it thinks there broken. I've download a trial version conversion program to convert them, then they become usable. Any thoughts?

Hi FG

Uhmm... I don't know about Mavic 4K videos, as yet I have not tried to edit any, however PD 14 has no problem with Gopro 4K videos, I will have to try and edit some Mavic 4K tonight when I get home... I will let you know the outcome.
Waylander

The problem could be your computer and not the software. I know I'm going through this right now. My 5 year old computer can't handle the 4k video files. I'm currently looking for an upgrade.

Reactions: Merlin23
The simplest is iMovie if you're Mac based. But it can only do simple stuff. But a very easy, 4k editor. I use Davinci Resolve 12.5, free version. Extremely powerful and lots of online tutorials, which you will need for any of the top end editors.

No issue with PD 15 and 4K videos. I switched from Resolve 12.5 because I couldn't edit 4K with on my three year old Windows PC.

I have a new laptop, it's an i7 core windows 10 with 8gig of memory. I don't think this is the issue but other folks seem to have older versions of PD and its working for them.

Final cut pro X is fantastic but has so many features I dont use on. If you want something a little less powerful then iMovie is fine (and free).

Welllll.....iMovie is actually about $1100 if you are a Windows user and need to by the bottom rung of the MacBook Pros. :)

Another vote for Davinci Resolve. I just downloaded it yesterday and after a good 30 minute tutorial on youtube, I'm off and running.

Reactions: Merlin23
CyberLink 15 here! Love it! Still learning a bit. But very capable for decent price.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser