DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who at the FAA should be contacted to delist an airport where the land has been sold and is now inactive?

lilewis

Reactions
I spoke to the new owner and he is not operating the grass field as an airport. He bought it only because it abuts his business.
He doesn't care if I fly my Mavic 2P 4.5 miles from him.

It's annoying to see that I'm a 'no fly zone' that is really just not up-to-date.

Exactly. If the airport is no longer in service, then it's the owner who needs to contact the FAA. Have the owner go to Airport Programs & Guidance On the right side of the page is "Top Tasks," select search airport data to see if it's listed. Below that is "Contact Us" and select the "Regional and Airport District Offices." The specific form is FAA Form 7480-1, Notice for Construction, Alteration and Deactivation of Airports.

Of course, the owner doesn't have to delist it.

Exactly. If the airport is no longer in service, then it's the owner who needs to contact the FAA. Have the owner go to Airport Programs & Guidance On the right side of the page is "Top Tasks," select search airport data to see if it's listed. Below that is "Contact Us" and select the "Regional and Airport District Offices." The specific form is FAA Form 7480-1, Notice for Construction, Alteration and Deactivation of Airports.

Of course, the owner doesn't have to delist it.

1. Yes it still shows up in my app and also in the UAVforecast.com site online.
2. Kadras, Thanks for the info. The owner is elderly and retired now and I suspect unable to navigate the site. I just called one of the numbers listed but it's Saturday so I left a message for them to call me back.

Reactions: kadras
1. Yes it still shows up in my app and also in the UAVforecast.com site online.
2. Kadras, Thanks for the info. The owner is elderly and retired now and I suspect unable to navigate the site. I just called one of the numbers listed but it's Saturday so I left a message for them to call me back.
I hope they call back

I have the same problem. A grass landing field near me closed seven years ago, became a gravel pit for a concrete company and is now a pond. Listed as closed indefinitely but it still shows up on charts.

I contacted DJI's GEO people and they're working to confirm it's closed but it's taking them a while. They can look at it on Google Earth and see that it's a pond but apparently that's not good enough.

I have the same problem. A grass landing field near me closed seven years ago, became a gravel pit for a concrete company and is now a pond. Listed as closed indefinitely but it still shows up on charts.

I contacted DJI's GEO people and they're working to confirm it's closed but it's taking them a while. They can look at it on Google Earth and see that it's a pond but apparently that's not good enough.

I just spoke to an FAA representative and he confirmed, while we were on the phone, that the grass field is no longer being used and hasn't been used in many years. Also, since I spoke to the elderly owner of the property and he told me he is not using it as an airport and has no intentions to, the FAA rep said it is no problem for me to fly - as long as I stay within the 400' limit, line of sight etc etc and I need not call the owner repeatedly. Basically just use common sense.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143