DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who did this? :S

Well, they fly military drones all the time out of Fort Huachuca 70-80 miles from Tucson... matter of fact they lost one 4 years ago (went out of control, ended up all the way in Colorado).

Not out of the realm of possibilities.... without knowing more details.

Well, they fly military drones all the time out of Fort Huachuca 70-80 miles from Tucson... matter of fact they lost one 4 years ago (went out of control, ended up all the way in Colorado).

Not out of the realm of possibilities.... without knowing more details.

I live near Ft. Huachuca. If they were flying 4 to 6 ft drones "all the time" (day or night) I'd know about it, and so would everyone else down here. They do fly unmanned aircraft, but they aren't rotor craft.

I guess since the story made it here I'll finally fess up. I got myself the Eachines E88 fly more package out of China the other day and decided to strap all 3 batteries together before going out to fly. I never thought I could get such performance out of a $60 drone kit

Ooh, that's normal over here. Yesterday I strapped a 5500Mah 8S Lipo to my MA2.
Broke the soundbarrier....And yes, al this in VLOS!!!! HAHAHA.

Thanks for sharing!

If along the border - maybe some of those fine outstanding drug dealing / kid smuggling cartel members getting the scoop on where to do all that fine activity and be less likely to be caught.

It flew for over an hour, 100+ mph and up to 14,000 feet?! Sounds like somebody needs to start a drone company.

70 miles? It must be using that new Super Duper Deluxe AccuSync+ Version 99.1
And the pilot of the helicopter has INCREDIBLE Eyesight.
Flying at almost 12000 ft, at night, he followed the drone flying over 2000 ft above him!! And stated there were no strobes or position lights on the drone.

Can somebody say UFO, not UAS

Reactions: TampaTC
I'm curious at how the chase ended. It appears they either let it go, or it fell out of the sky somewhere - but neither is mentioned.

This news report has no description of what they saw (color, shape), nor any photos or video. They only have radar records that indicate high maneuverability. With speeds of over 100mph witnessed with a 40mph headwind, this isn't our type of drone. This is a UFO, not a drone, as we know it. It's likely new secret technology the military has developed with anti-gravity technology, or visitors from another planet.
I've captured 2 UFO's on camera over the last 3yrs. They were very fast white orbs that appear to be about 8 to 12" in diameter, going well over 100mph. One of them was more like 200mph+, and it passed about 50' from my drone while my P3P was doing about 10mph. This happened near the EG&G plant in Lancaster, CA, a government contractor that does all kinds of secret projects. The trajectory of the orb was headed directly toward the EG&G plant, 19mi from Tehachapi, CA where I saw it.

tehachapi loop map.jpg

Last edited:
I live near Ft. Huachuca. If they were flying 4 to 6 ft drones "all the time" (day or night) I'd know about it, and so would everyone else down here. They do fly unmanned aircraft, but they aren't rotor craft.
Hummm, well, I did not assume it was a rotorcraft... I saw no reference to it being a rotorcraft, or even a size, only a "highly modified drone" which is a very broad description (did I miss that somewhere?) A multi-rotor drone at 14,000 feet would be impressive indeed considering ground level around there is, what.... 2500 or 3000 feet? More info would be nice...

Hummm, well, I did not assume it was a rotorcraft... I saw no reference to it being a rotorcraft, or even a size, only a "highly modified drone" which is a very broad description (did I miss that somewhere?) A multi-rotor drone at 14,000 feet would be impressive indeed considering ground level around there is, what.... 2500 or 3000 feet? More info would be nice...

One of the reports said that the pilot estimated the size of the drone at 4 to 6 feet across, and I'm having a hard time picturing an airborne vehicle that can make acute angle turns at high speed without being a rotor craft. At least not one of terrestrial origin, and I've already stated above my opinion of the likelihood of that being the case.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
Update adding more details to story:

War Zone: New details emerge on the heavily modified drone.

A source with direct knowledge of the incident's details told The War Zone they believed the drone was highly unlikely to be battery-powered based on the altitude, distance, and speed at which it flew.

The drone's initial observed location was also largely confirmed by a post from another individual on JetCareers.com, which describes itself as “an online community of airline, corporate and professional pilots including air traffic controllers, dispatchers and mechanics.” In a forum post dated February 10, 2021, a moderator of that forum with the username MikeD wrote the following account of the incident:

Last night, there was one just east of KTUS at about 1200’ AGL cruising eastbound. It passed about 30’ away co-altitude with a police helicopter flying the opposite direction. Helo made a 180 turn to give chase. The quad copter was described as approximately 5 feet long by about 3 feet wide, with a single green flashing LED light. It continued east into KDMAs airspace and began orbiting the base over the parallel taxiway near the fighter jet ramp. TUS and DMA towers were unaware of it, as was U90 [an FAA approach tower] controllers. The operator apparently realized by this time that the drone was being followed, because it then proceeded northwest at high speed and climbing, with the helo and another LE helo in trail. The copter began to climb and flew out of the TUS area about 50 miles to the northwest of town into the middle of nowhere desert out by the mine west of KAVQ. It was last seen climbing through 14,000’ and into the undercast, where it disappeared. The helos remained in VMC [Visual Meteorological Conditions] obviously, and one hung around for about an hour, to see if it would reappear descending, or if there was any vehicles driving through the middle of nowhere as either the operator or someone to potentially recover it. Neither appeared. U90 informed their FAA chain of command about it, but that’s as far as I’ve heard so far.

Maybe gasoline-powered chainsaw engines with servo-controlled throttles? Not as responsive as electric motors, but powerful and capable of extended flight. Just hypothesizing here ....

I can understand some of the mechanical possibilities for a drone like that ... it's just a matter of some decent engineering. I've always thought it should be possible to use a regular drone like one of the DJI drones as a control for a larger drone just by tying into the pulses being sent to and from the motors, amplifying them, and applying them to bigger motors ... or servos driving chainsaw engine throttles. The part I find more problematic is reliably maintaining an RF link (especially to handle video) beyond 50 miles like this drone did. Maybe UHF frequencies could handle the bandwidth and still have that kind of range. I don't think WiFi frequencies could do so very easily, and even the curvature of the earth comes into play at those frequencies. Maybe the control operator was sitting up on Mt. Lemmon or something ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851