DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who has taken the Part 107 test ?

Have you take the test? Did you study on your own or pay the BIG bucks for one of the classes out there.
I think it all hinges all your study habits. There are some reasonably priced practice (prep) exams available online which will serve as a good gauge of your knowledge.

I took the online class from Remote Pilot 101 and passed. It still required a great deal of study on my part but am glad I did. It clarified a lot of questions I had. Well worth the $99 cost (they had a sale on it about a year ago), in my opinion.

Reactions: badbiggz
@lilroc17, you can find a list of commonly used free and paid FAA Part 107 study resources here.

I just got mine from Sporty's Pilot Shop for about $19. I'll let you know.

I passed mine. Mostly by watching YouTube videos.

Later I discovered the official faa study guide. Just spending an hour or so reading through this guide is super valuable.

I downloaded UAS107 app from play store for about $25 and passed on 1st try - the app is only for Android devices. You get free updates so when I have to pass test again I'll be able to use them again. In addition, I watched every YouTube training video a few times.

Reactions: JGRR
There is Alexa app for it as well. It's not the greatest, but everything helps.

I am an instrument and commercial rated single engine pilot with 3000+ hours. Would I likely pass this test???
You will already know a lot of what's on the test like weather effects on flying, reading METAR & TAF abbreviations, airspace and chart reading, but there'a a lot that is specific to drones that would be worth a little study to be sure you don't miss too many of those. I recommend spending a little review on your ground schooling and doing some reading on the materials I'll put in the next post

This covers everything you need,and it's all free:
1. FAA study guide for Part 107 (read this 2 or 3 times): https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

2. FAA advisory circular supplement to the study guide has a lot of excellent explanation and detail (read at least once and make notes about the obvious reminders needed): https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_107-2.pdf

3. FAA Aeronautical Chart Users Guide has excellent help on understanding airspace classifications and reading sectional and terminal charts. The 107 test has lots of chart reading,and it's pretty challenging for first time users. YouTube can help a lot, but this has everything you need. The problem is that it has more detail than you'll need on the Part 107 test. Several tabs near the top that get you into the different sections. Ignore anything to do with IFR and TPP. Exercise some judgement about how deeply you want to get into this, but check out the VFR tabs pretty closely: FAA Aeronautical Chart User's Guide

4. This guy did an extraordinary job of putting together this "cram sheet". BE SURE to check out the links he provides. Highly recommended free download:
Free FAA Part 107 sUAS & Drone Certification Study Guide | Northrup.Photo

5. 130 computer-based sample questions included in one of the links in item 4 above. This is really excellent. Guaranteed that some of the actual test questions are on here. The strength of this sample test battery is in the immediate feedback you get on missed questions. Makes it easy to build a list of things you need to focus on:
https://3dr.com/faa/drone-practice-tests/

If you have little to no prior experience, study 15-20 hours with the resources above, memorize everything on the "cram sheet" in item 4 above, and go take the test. Good luck............. R

Last edited:
Save your money. Don't waste it on the online "Schools" I looked at about 8 different "schools", they were all similar in what they offered, the differences were the cost. I went with one that had been listed here, due to the good review. I found it to be marginal, as a "school" It directed me to the FAA website for drone/Part 107 regulations, and provided a practice set of questions, to allegedly help prepare me for the test.

I eventually came upon this site https://3dr.com/faa/drone-practice-tests/ which provided an excellent set of questions, to practice on, for free.

You need to study the FAA's free Part 107 and AIM pages about Drones and sUAV. When you peruse the link above, anything that you don't understand, go to the FAA website, so you understand the subject. Real FAA test questions involve you understanding the concept of the topic, not just memorizing the prep test. You could, if you want to spend money, join the AMA Academy of Model Aeronautics it is very reasonably priced , has some excellent UAV specific material for free, plus you get a nice insurance policy included.

No matter how you proceed, understand it is a topic that the FAA considers to be serious, the test is involved as the one I took for private pilot, a decade ago.

I studied for 1 - 2 hours, almost every day, using the link above primarily, coupled with the FAA's material on line.

Took the test 2 weeks ago. Got 2 questions wrong. Waiting for my license to come in the mail

Last edited:
Reactions: padrel
I am an instrument and commercial rated single engine pilot with 3000+ hours. Would I likely pass this test???
I think you'd have little difficulty. A majority of the questions were from, or similar to, the questions on the private pilots test. The few Drone-specific questions, I think you could figure out, with minimal problem

When it expires in 2 years, do you have to pay another $150 for the retest?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore