DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who is hand catching his MP at landing or take off.

Norm

Reactions
I'm planing to use my MP to make boat videos. I've watched few video of hand landing and gived a try. It's preaty easy and I think that is the best way to bring it abord safely !

What is your experience ?

Note: I did not turn the collision sensor off but if you don't hesitate to grab it, it wont have time to go back up.

Reactions: swoermck
I hand catch every flight landing, but not usually taking off - it's very easy and safe IMO.

Pretty confident in hand launch and catch.
I have Landing Protection turned off.
Hover head high, reach up from behind and pull back on stick to stop motors.
Lots of places I launch from are rough and sandy.

Have never tried to hand launch but do catch it every time .
You just got to keep your mind on what's at hand and not get distracted .

Reactions: Fplvert
I've been hand launching and catching pretty much all the time, as I have been only flying at the beach thus far. So far so good!

I have a landing pad. I mostly do a fly down landing on that just for practice moving the Mavic a tiny bit at a time. Sometimes I hand catch for landing if I want to avoid kicking up a lot of dust or debris by the landing pad. I have never hand launched. I just put the Mavic on the center of the landing pad and do an auto takeoff. It rises about two feet and then uses both GPS and vision to establish a very precise Home point. At that point I position it to a vertical height I want for initial flight. Sometimes that means a translation as well to avoid some overhead obstacle.

I hand catch about half the time depending on the condition of the landing area. Very easy to do after a bit of practice.

Reactions: Dragonfly1
Hand catching on land is MUCH easier than on a boat that is drifting along. You will find its hard to just come straight down, because any small breeze can push your boat or if there is tide currents or swells you will be moving. So you will have to continue to pace the Mavic to keep up with the boat.

Im actually thinking of selling my Mavic and going to a P4 for this reason. Getting footage while recreating on my boat was the main reason I bought a drone. After taking it out on the water one time on the lake, I think the P4 may be a better option because of the landing skids on the P4 make catching the drone much less accident prone to conflict with its props and fingers.

Hand catching on land is MUCH easier than on a boat that is drifting along. You will find its hard to just come straight down, because any small breeze can push your boat or if there is tide currents or swells you will be moving. So you will have to continue to pace the Mavic to keep up with the boat.

Im actually thinking of selling my Mavic and going to a P4 for this reason. Getting footage while recreating on my boat was the main reason I bought a drone. After taking it out on the water one time on the lake, I think the P4 may be a better option because of the landing skids on the P4 make catching the drone much less accident prone to conflict with its props and fingers.

Have you considered this type of landing gear: 3D Printed Landing Gear Skid Extended Support Protector for DJI Mavic Pro Drone | eBay

I
I'm planing to use my MP to make boat videos. I've watched few video of hand landing and gived a try. It's preaty easy and I think that is the best way to bring it abord safely !

What is your experience ?

Note: I did not turn the collision sensor off but if you don't hesitate to grab it, it wont have time to go back up.

I usually "hand operate" landing/take off because lately my videos are made in areas with hazard terrain with lots of dirt and leafs, so it's safer to "hand operate" it.
I turn the down sensor off. No problem so far.

Why hand catch if not needed. I was on a creek bank, with water boulders and lots of vegetation. My power was low enough there was no time to snake my way to a clearing in time. I hand caught, bad footing and overgrowth all around but all went well. Goo d to be able to if you must!

I hand catch occasionally. I leave all the bottom facing sensors on as well.

yea just don't land too quickly...

Yup ... happened to me on my first indoor flight, it went right to the sealing an in a panic mode I went for it but I got cut....but the propeller was OK :mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: imcoryw

There is a guy that made a hand catcher on it 3D printer: I was considered it but maybe an old glove can do the job it you are concern.
Dji Mavic Catch Handle by ColeT

That video shows how not to land.
The Mavic will hover nicely at the height you want.
There is absolutely no need to touch the stick again until you have it firmly in your grasp.
Then just kill the motors.

Of course it shows how not to land, that's why I posted it and that's why it's called "landing fail"... I just figured it would be funnier than the maybe 50+ hand catches that went perfectly fine.. but thanks for the lecture.

Fly off the boat all the time, turn off precision landing not vps, then you can hand catch without mavic trying to fly up when left stick pulled down just like any other landing

Of course it shows how not to land, that's why I posted it and that's why it's called "landing fail"... I just figured it would be funnier than the maybe 50+ hand catches that went perfectly fine.. but thanks for the lecture.

Wasn't a lecture.
Was an observation and comment with no other motive.

Reactions: Plawa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair