DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why are maned aircraft warnings so sporadic?

SmilingOgre

Reactions
I’ve noticed often that maned aircraft will be in the area and I will get no warning from the controller. Why is this?

I'm pretty sure that the only aircraft that are currently showing up on our displays are those with ADS-B, and not all aircraft are required to have this as of now in the US.

United States​

ADS-B is now required when operating over all 48 continuous states, within airspace at or above FL 100 (excluding airspace from 2,500 ft. AGL). At or below FL100 ADS-B will be required:

1. While operating within class B or C airspace.
  2. While operating within 12NM of the coastline in the Gulf of Mexico, at or above 3,000 ft. MSL.
Requirements for Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands are slightly different. The class E requirement does not apply to these areas. ADS-B will be required at or above FL180 and at or below FL100, you will need it when:

1. While operating within class B or C airspace.
  2. While operating within 12NM of the coastline.

I’ve noticed often that maned aircraft will be in the area and I will get no warning from the controller. Why is this?
Why are you flying where there has to be a controller. Go to the country bro.

Why are you flying where there has to be a controller. Go to the country bro.
I wish sometimes. Grew up in the country but ended up in the city to feed all the children. I’m pretty used to it now. It’s not dense city but definitely not country. Have relatives from where I grew up but they are high risk and Covid has stopped visits. Hopefully this spring. I sold the 40 I grew up on to my niece and am always welcome. Soon I hope.

Location, Geography, and Altitude of the aircraft will determine if they are required to have ADS-B or not. I find so many newbie Aviation Enthusiasts are genuinely shocked to learn how spotty ADS-B coverage is and how often it's not even required.

Where I live, about 20 miles from the nearest "Controlled Airspace" and I'd estimate less than 1/3rd of the aircraft flying over me, under 18K', are utilizing ADS-B.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
I read the OP question as asking why the Fly app sometimes shows all the aircraft and at other times show none of them. This what I also experience with my M3 using both a iOS on my RCN1 controller as well as with my Android TriplTek. I have made no changes to the sensitivity and yet the behavior changes over time.

While I prefer to fly over desolate BLM land, the field I use to tune settings and verify firmware upgrades has one corner in a Class D airspace and over flights to another Class C airspace. With LAANC I can fly to 400 ft into
the Class D space. There are lots of overflights mostly above 1000’ and plenty of opportunity to assess this very useful feature.

I usually keep FlightRadar24 open on my cellular-enabled tablet while I'm flying. Several times I've heard the aircraft in the distance (with no warning on my controller) and then checked FlightRadar24 to see that the aircraft is quite far away from me and on a heading that goes nowhere near the drone. In those situations, I'll generally descend and hover just to be safe in case the aircraft deviates from its course, but at least it's not panic situation. Unfortunately, FlightRadar24, like ADS-B, doesn't catch 100% of manned flights, but it's definitely useful and adds to situational awareness.

I live in northwest NJ and I see notifications all of the time, including jet airliners and single prop planes. There is scenic farmland in my area so summer evenings as sunset approaches could be busy; they are in the air for the same reason as I am :) . Most times the planes are far off from where I am flying. Occasionally they may be closer and I'll bring it down to 100 ft or so and hover until the plane goes out of my area.

On flying at the local airport some have it, some don't. Last time I was there had two planes doing touch and go and only one had it on.

A private plane flying without filing a flight plan doesn't have to have it turned on. Training flights, touch and goes, logging hours, sight seeing - those types of flights.

Also, I think it depends on your geography.

I'm less than 7 miles from one of the largest (if not the largest) military airports on the East coast. My notifications pop off like the test bench at a plunger factory!

Most of my air traffic is the Coast Guard (I fly on the coast in Savannah) and military air traffic including helis and daily c-130s and even the County Mosquito Control. The local international airport is 20 miles away and their flight patterns don't effect me here at my home where most of my flights are. I'm notified all day long around here during my flights.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost