DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why are my DNG's fisheye'd?

ScoobyDoo27

Reactions
Hi, I am new to drones and pretty much new to photography as well. I have been using my Mavic Air 2 to take aerial pictures of a house I am building. In the drone camera settings I have been shooting in RAW and JPG because I want to try to learn some basic photo editing while I am at it. However, I have noticed that the DNG files are creating a fish eye look while the JPG's don't. The best example I can provide is the picture of my house with a fence at the top of the photo. In the JPG from the drone (8-22-20) the fence is straight across while in the DNG (9-2-20) it curves at on the left end. Is this normal for shooting in RAW and how come it does this?

Attachments

• 9-2-20.jpg
    9-2-20.jpg
    8.6 MB · Views: 74
  • 8-22-20.JPG
    8-22-20.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 71
DNG is the exact same picture as the JPG just that contain more information.
In the examples i see different light conditions and different angles. The picture was not taken under the same conditions. You can see the gab from the side walk in one picture larger than the other one. Probably the drone was not even in the same angle causing that effect. That is my opinion.

Reactions: Kendallfordguy
Ahhh. Welcome to the forum !!!

DNG is the exact same picture as the JPG just that contain more information.
In the examples i see different light conditions and different angles. The picture was not taken under the same conditions. You can see the gab from the side walk in one picture larger than the other one. Probably the drone was not even in the same angle causing that effect. That is my opinion.

They also finish the roof between shots...

They also finish the roof between shots...
Yeah, my bad. I should've taken more time to get the correct photos off of the drone. These were just what I had on hand from my computer. Here are 2 photos that were taken at the exact same time. One was the DNG (now converted to jpg) and the other was the JPG made from the drone. There is an obvious distortion on the DNG.

Attachments

• DJI_0061(dronejpg).JPG
    DJI_0061(dronejpg).JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 38
  • DJI_0061.jpg
    DJI_0061.jpg
    9.7 MB · Views: 38
The DNG file always will look uglier than the JPG
The DNG is intended for be used for be edited since contain all the information of colors and other information. In Post production you can see the results. The fish eye or distortion maybe is a normal effect from the DNG. I am not sure about it, What i am sure is that in Adobe LR you can fix lens distortions by camera model. I need to check if DJI cameras are in the list.

Reactions: Mrmund
Yeah, my bad. I should've taken more time to get the correct photos off of the drone. These were just what I had on hand from my computer. Here are 2 photos that were taken at the exact same time. One was the DNG (now converted to jpg) and the other was the JPG made from the drone. There is an obvious distortion on the DNG.
There's nothing like a fisheye effect in any of your images.
This is a photo taken with a fisheye elns:
i-tWz8rm8-L.jpg

Every straight line (except any that pass through the centre) is curved.
In your images, every straight line is straight.

I've stared at your examples and can't find any distortion of any kind in them.
They are identical except that the colours/exposure in the jpg have been adjusted to look better.

The DNG file always will look uglier than the JPG
The DNG is intended for be used for be edited since contain all the information of colors and other information. In Post production you can see the results. The fish eye or distortion maybe is a normal effect from the DNG. I am not sure about it, What i am sure is that in Adobe LR you can fix lens distortions by camera model. I need to check if DJI cameras are in the list.
I get that the DNG will be ugly until you edit it. I was just posting unedited to show the results from the camera.
Thanks for the help though. I’ll have to see if Affinity has something similar to Lightroom.

Yes it has it. My version of LR does not have the new drones cameras. I need to check if i can download the new ones. Check the screenshot. test.jpg

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 12
There's nothing like a fisheye effect in any of your images.
This is a photo taken with a fisheye elns:
i-tWz8rm8-L.jpg

Every straight line (except any that pass through the centre) is curved.
In your images, every straight line is straight.

I've stared at your examples and can't find any distortion of any kind in them.
They are identical except that the colours/exposure in the jpg have been adjusted to look better.
It’s pretty obvious when I crop them to a 16:9 and use the fence as my placement that the fence in the original DNG “falls off” on the left. It is definitely not straight across like the JPG’s created by the drone are. But if this is what they are I’ll just shoot in JPG and it’ll be fine. I’ll save the DNG for trying my hand at editing more interesting photos.

What i am sure is that in Adobe LR you can fix lens distortions by camera model. I need to check if DJI cameras are in the list.
That's because the lens correction data is built-in to the image files for all later DJI cameras.

Reactions: Mrmund
It’s pretty obvious when I crop them to a 16:9 and use the fence as my placement that the fence in the original DNG “falls off” on the left. It is definitely not straight across like the JPG’s created by the drone are. But if this is what they are I’ll just shoot in JPG and it’ll be fine. I’ll save the DNG for trying my hand at editing more interesting photos.
OK .. now I see the minor bowing in the fence on the left.
It's the kind of pincushion distortion that's common in very wideangle lenses.
You are seeing it because your DNG software doesn't deal with the built-in lens corrections like Lightroom or Photoshop would.

OK .. now I see the minor bowing in the fence on the left.
It's the kind of pincushion distortion that's common in very wideangle lenses.
You are seeing it because your DNG software doesn't deal with the built-in lens corrections like Lightroom or Photoshop would.
Good to know. Appreciate everyone’s help. If I end up really getting into photo editing I may have to try out Adobe’s suite but for now I can’t justify it for a photo every now and then.

I dont have the Air 2 but I have checked the sample JPG and DNG files downloaded from here : DJI Mavic Air 2 sample gallery

The DNG files contain built-in lens profile of the camera to allow the editing software to correct for lens distortion automatically :

1599109332237.png

However, not all raw editing/viewing software make use of the information so lens distortion may show up in the presented image. The JPG image out of the camera has the lens correction applied already so there is no distortion

Last edited:

Yeah there is definitely some distortion in that - the car at the bottom left for example has about 2ft extra showing on the non DNG version.
If you download them to the same folder and open in say "windows photos" you can flip between them and see the change.

Can you upload the original DNG so we can see how it loads into Photoshop, that the lens correction is being handled correctly and confirm there isn't some other issue?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54