DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why did my Air 2 S decide not to come home to Papa?

Mantrain

Reactions
Would love to know what I did wrong and I am sure it was a few things. I flew when it was dark with the lights on and never lost visual contact but mistakenly flew the drone away from home to about 2 miles away and so I just made a RTN command. WTF the drone then just shot up from its maximum of 180 feet (which seems low thought it was supposed to be about 400 foot maximum) and it shot up to 1200 feet !!!!!!!

I am looking at this happening not believing this. What algorithm would have this Air2S climb to 1200 feet?

Then it just hovered. At this point I have 60% battery.

I clicj RTN again. Nothing happens. I have line of sight though. I see the distance and height and try to move it home manually after bringing it way down, but it just hovers, maybe moving .2 mph. So I enter RTN and again she shoots up to this time like 1600 feet.

I am getting really nervous now.

I can see this drone, why is she not coming home?

Finally after some time I get the dreaded battery alarm but now I have regained some control and I am able to get her to approach home manually but slowly, too slowly. I decide to go Pro mode for speed and in a minute she force lands, this being like a dance where I bring her up a but and towards home but finally she is just not staying up and I am steering her into a parking lot.

I never want this to happen again.

I do not want my drone climbing to 1800 feet.

I want her to come home when I call her!

• Wow
Reactions: Kentucky Ranger
A good start to get to know what happen, is to share your flight log stored in the mobile device you flew with.

Go here -->DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help & scroll down a bit where they describe how to retrieve the mobile device .TXT log, upload it to the site & make note of the link they provide once the log is uploaded ... then come back here & share the link in a new post in this thread.

Reactions: tlswift58
Would love to know what I did wrong and I am sure it was a few things. I flew when it was dark with the lights on and never lost visual contact but mistakenly flew the drone away from home to about 2 miles away and so I just made a RTN command. WTF the drone then just shot up from its maximum of 180 feet (which seems low thought it was supposed to be about 400 foot maximum) and it shot up to 1200 feet !!!!!!!

I am looking at this happening not believing this. What algorithm would have this Air2S climb to 1200 feet?

Then it just hovered. At this point I have 60% battery.

I clicj RTN again. Nothing happens. I have line of sight though. I see the distance and height and try to move it home manually after bringing it way down, but it just hovers, maybe moving .2 mph. So I enter RTN and again she shoots up to this time like 1600 feet.

I am getting really nervous now.

I can see this drone, why is she not coming home?

Finally after some time I get the dreaded battery alarm but now I have regained some control and I am able to get her to approach home manually but slowly, too slowly. I decide to go Pro mode for speed and in a minute she force lands, this being like a dance where I bring her up a but and towards home but finally she is just not staying up and I am steering her into a parking lot.

I never want this to happen again.

I do not want my drone climbing to 1800 feet.

I want her to come home when I call her!
2 miles and you could see it? Highly doubtful, but it is what you say - we weren't there.

What are your RTH settings in the FlyApp? What is your max altitude set in the FlyApp? The drone should not have gone beyond 400 ft AGL (you're point, not the drones) - but it seems possible.

Were you in Cine / tripod mode at the time of RTH? If so, going to Sport turns off most all obstacle avoidance and will fly home with stick inputs UNLESS there is a stiff wind on your way home, which is entirely possible at 400 ft or more on the coast.

Your flight logs will tell all, so plz post them so they can be looked at and give more info on what happened.

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
Ok here it is:

It look like you wasn't aware of the regulations where you flew ... & that together with your excessive RTH height severely slowed down your crafts horizontal speed.

You Flew here ... have marked the HP & where the first RTH was initiated (red cross)

(Click on all pics below to make them larger)
1638124560969.png

Looking into the same area in the DJI Fly Safe material in your AC showed that this was an altitude zone limited to 60m (196ft).
1638124638536.png

So ... as you had the RTH height set to 1214ft (370m) you breached the altitude zone when the RTH was initiated.

All was shown in your message stream in your app ... have here highlighted the important messages.
Message.jpg

Here below all relevant telemetry from the flight ... you didn't once try to descend down into legal airspace which had given back the full heading speed. Instead you stayed up above 196ft, consumed down your battery until the threshold for the forced low battery auto landing. Have placed the chart marker at 301,7sec where the first instance of RTH was initiated & your AC ascended up to the RTH height.

(Values in the legend below the chart from where the chart marker is at 301,7sec. Blue background=GPS mode, Pink=RTH, Yellow=Sport & Green=Low battery auto landing)
1638125119719.png

Would love to know what I did wrong and I am sure it was a few things. I flew when it was dark with the lights on

I can't explain what happened, other than the battery got low and landed in the parking lot. Did you get it back?

The drone may have gotten bombarded by radar signals from the airports in the area?

You were flying in Class D airspace, at night, that would have required a LAANC authorization for up to 100 feet.
Since you were flying at night, I don't think that would have been approved.

slup, you and a few others are awesome at breaking down the logs. 👍

yes I got the drone back.

So I need to understand how to view local regulations. And as I understand it, at night where I am it is 100 feet?

Reactions: MA2 317
One other point not related to any problems listed in this thread, the App thinks your mSD card is slow, depending on what resolution video you hop[e to shoot you might want to get a faster one,

Reactions: Mantrain
You also likely need to understand the regulations full stop. A 1200ft + RTH height and a 1640ft max height in a flight over an area that looks flat are probably 800ft + and 1240 ft too high even without the airspace restrictions.
Perhaps permissible if you had gone into the hills but over flat? land, not good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mmoguls
Why is it a she when it does not what it's supposed to do? Thanks for
sharing. 😉

Hmm. My female friend would say that in almost all these cases the drone did exactly what it was told to do by the pilot and the pilot is just trying to divert the "credit" for what happened to the drone.

What's interesting in there is that it would climb to RTH height even if that was set above the NFZ limitation. Wonder if it's because he was almost right on the zone boundary and it was considered just outside at RTH time.

Last edited:
so is the key to this whole lost control issue that had I brought her down to 180' I would have regained control and brought her home?

I understand I had the RTN set too high (which of course now I lowered) But it makes no sense that it would ascend so high inspite of local regulations.

And why did she not come home? Because she was too high?

So this will not happen again if in my area I keep max to 180' ?

I have a lot ta learn.

And why did she not come home? Because she was too high?
RTH height is set at 1214ft -> climb to 1214ft before coming home if RTH is hit. But now coming home involves crossing a zone that doesn't allow flying above 196ft -> stay stuck on the zone border.

That's the warning you got "Current RTH route close to GEO Zone(s). Pay attention to the aircrafts position on the map to avoid RTH failure." warns about.

So I need to understand how to view local regulations. And as I understand it, at night where I am it is 100 feet?

Look in the APP store for the ALOFT app.

It will show the airspace and allow you to fly in some of the airspace with approval in the app.

Screenshot_20211128-134551.png

I live in Class G airspace and never had to use it.

Also if I lose site of the Air2s will I chance lose control? I thought not since they say the range is like 11km or so.

But what is the realistic range? Will I get a flyaway after say mile 2 in actuality? I thought that the GPS could always RTN even in lost visual.

edit

also thank you all for helping me out. I know I was a bit bravado I just got really excited about this powerful new drone. I was previously flying a Limitless 3 which is so not as nice.

I purchased a premium account so I can take the course and learn how not to lose my drone like my previous wives.

I thought that the GPS could always RTN even in lost visual.
It can, as long as it has signal and you haven't put it in conditions that prevent it like here.

Will I get a flyaway after say mile 2 in actuality?
It won't "flyaway", as mentioned as long as it's possible it'll return home if signal is lost.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake