DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why did you buy your Mavic 2 Pro?

Former Member

Reactions
A member here, @Smartypants2 is looking to upgrade from the Zoom gimbal to the Pro gimbal. He is an avid photographer, and was wondering if the Pro gimbal is worth upgrading to? He doesnt do much post processing, so the shot that he takes will likely be the shot he uses.

Is the Pro gimbal worth using instead of the Zoom gimbal?

@Porky you use the Pro and seem very happy with it.

Love my M2P and the camera in comparison to my MPP or Spark. Question in my mind is what to do with the original Gimbal.

Answer to your question is twofold... camera and drone OS/ features, and the extra sensors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
I consider myself a casual photographer and I have not (yet) done any post processing beyond cuts, titles, fade outs, and music to my video and nothing to the stills. I bought the M2P because I wanted the option to grow into the capabilities and I wanted the best picture possible straight from the camera for right now.

If he is a photographer, then yes, upgrading to the M2P is a worthwhile improvement. You get a variable aperture, which helps with shutter speed combos, and there's a reasonable distinction in low light noise.

I have a M2Z and M2P and would opt only for the pro if I were to do it again. Although I suspect if I had never owned the Pro I would have been thrilled with the Zoom.

If he wants to go with the shot taken (no post processing), then composition will have fewer opportunities to dial-in without a zoom unless you fly to the appropriate distance from the subject. Sometimes that's not practical or possible. The option on the Pro for 4K FOV vs 4K HQ offers the equivalent of a fixed zoom, which I have found handy at times to create additional compositions.

I love my pro but I’m just an average photographer not a professional. Never used the zoom so can’t comment on it.

I bought the Pro because it was the best one to buy, the picture quality is outstanding in my eyes hence why I bought it. I don’t do videos just photos, that’s why my mind told me to buy the pro.?

I was also recommended it by another user here on this forum, so I took his advice?

Last edited:
So my friends would think I'm cool ?

I have always been into photography, computers, and RC stuff. Since I was 11 so 40 years. My first RC car went forward and left. The first computer a VIC-20. And my Dad gave me his "hand me down" cameras.

I just love messing with them.

Rob: Like so many others, the M2P camera was the major draw for me to upgrade the M1P. All the other improvements are wonderful as well but as an image junkie, I wanted the best image capturing device available and IMHO, the M2P fits the bill like a champ.

Thank you all for your comments. Hopefully it will help him along in his buying decision.

He and I spoke about the old days of photography before there was light Room and other photoshop type programs. He Related the importance to me of setting the shot up correctly before you Push the shutter button. I hope he will be a regular contributor to this forum because his wealth of photography Knowledge is enormous.

My Mavic Pro replacement from DJI was not expected to be here before a trip, so I bought the 2 on Amazon* at 2 am just in time for the trip.

Then my Pro comes back the day before the trip. Doh!

Last edited:
I had a little bit of experience flying the DJI Phantom line prior to buying a Mavic 2 Pro. I initially wanted to buy a Phantom IV Pro V2, but DJI appears to have discontinued the Phantom line, despite rumors that a Phantom V is in the works. WIth that I turned my attention to the Mavic line and took a look at the Mavic 2 Pro. In terms of both specs and handling qualities, the M2P seems to be the best of the high end 'prosumer' factory made sUAS, if you don't want to spend $6K-$20K on an Inspire 2 with higher end camera kit. In addition the M2P can shoot excellent still and video photography with loads of manual and automatic features, has good performance and battery life and fits into a backpack easily where as an Inspire can barely fit on a coffee table. The M2P is nimble, responsive and precise flyer and later firmware upgrades seem to have solved some of its RTH and image warping woes which plagued it when initially released. In terms of videography, the M2P can shoot cinematic quality scenes and still stays on par with the P4P's capabilities, though I wish the M2P could shoot 4K @ 60 FPS for extremely smooth high definition video like the P4P can. The colors are vivid and rich and can be adjusted either with the drone's onboard color management system or in post production and the variable aperture on the Hassleblad camera is really great for getting perfect exposures. One gripe I have with the line is I wish the camera gimbal was quick detach so a user could own both the Pro and Zoom camera modules and change them out in the field as needed. Oh well.....

For $1500, the M2P seems to be the best investment for the money. And for myself, I can use the drone to shoot really high quality video while I continue to build hours in the aircraft. The Mavic 2 Pro can pretty much do anything a hobbyist or shutterbug wants as well as a lot of professional work in places where big drones cannot operate, etc. If you have a lot of UAV hours under your belt already and use drones for commercial photography, you're probably going to be headed over to the Inspire or Matrice aircraft, but you may still want a M2P or M2Z in your kit bag - you never know where it can come in handy!

Last edited:
I had a little bit of experience flying the DJI Phantom line prior to buying a Mavic 2 Pro. I initially wanted to buy a Phantom IV Pro V2, but DJI appears to have discontinued the Phantom line, despite rumors that a Phantom V is in the works. WIth that I turned my attention to the Mavic line and took a look at the Mavic 2 Pro. In terms of both specs and handling qualities, the M2P seems to be the best of the high end 'prosumer' factory made sUAS, if you don't want to spend $6K-$20K on an Inspire 2 with higher end camera kit. In addition the M2P can shoot excellent still and video photography with loads of manual and automatic features, has good performance and battery life and fits into a backpack easily where as an Inspire can barely fit on a coffee table. The M2P is nimble, responsive and precise flyer and later firmware upgrades seem to have solved some of its RTH and image warping woes which plagued it when initially released. In terms of videography, the M2P can shoot cinematic quality scenes and still stays on par with the P4P's capabilities, though I wish the M2P could shoot 4K @ 60 FPS for extremely smooth high definition video like the P4P can. The colors are vivid and rich and can be adjusted either with the drone's onboard color management system or in post production and the variable aperture on the Hassleblad camera is really great for getting perfect exposures. One gripe I have with the line is I wish the camera gimbal was quick detach so a user could own both the Pro and Zoom camera modules and change them out in the field as needed. Oh well.....

For $1500, the M2P seems to be the best investment for the money. And for myself, I can use the drone to shoot really high quality video while I continue to build hours in the aircraft. The Mavic 2 Pro can pretty much do anything a hobbyist or shutterbug wants as well as a lot of professional work in places where big drones cannot operate, etc. If you have a lot of UAV hours under your belt already and use drones for commercial photography, you're probably going to be headed over to the Inspire or Matrice aircraft, but you may still want a M2P or M2Z in your kit bag - you never know where it can come in handy!
I thank everyone for sharing their experience and thoughts
I guess I am a "old school photographer " shooting with film, and composing the photo. I never had opportunity to do post processing to alter the photo.

A member here, @Smartypants2 is looking to upgrade from the Zoom gimbal to the Pro gimbal. He is an avid photographer, and was wondering if the Pro gimbal is worth upgrading to? He doesnt do much post processing, so the shot that he takes will likely be the shot he uses.

Is the Pro gimbal worth using instead of the Zoom gimbal?

@Porky you use the Pro and seem very happy with it.
Why not get Pro gimbal by itself, then swap out as needed? My understanding is zoom is for video, and Pro for photo.

If the Pro's camera isn't going to work, then maybe one of the larger drones with interchangeable lenses is what they need.

Why not get Pro gimbal by itself, then swap out as needed? My understanding is zoom is for video, and Pro for photo.

If the Pro's camera isn't going to work, then maybe one of the larger drones with interchangeable lenses is what they need.

Your understanding of the “zoom” being for video and “pro” being for photo is wrong. The better sensor in the pro makes for better video as well.

In general, the zoom can be thought of as the retarded midget brother of the pro.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada