DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why DJI created a 249g Drone?

Srcrain

Reactions
This is a great explanation right from DJI on why a 249g drone was important.

I see this as mainly a travel drone. It has great utility for individuals that travel to various countries. Many of those countries require registration for travelers. This would avoid that. However, you still need to follow the rules, but you don't have the limiting paperwork.

For people in the U.S. with larger drones we are already registered with the FAA as a pilot, so we don't have to re-register this drone. However, we do need to still follow the rules. For this reason I see this as mostly a travel drone.

Reactions: Mavic 57
Apart from that, in many Europe countries you cannot fly drones of more than 250gr over buildings or over crowds of people, like in example a music festival.

Last edited:
As of Nov 5th 2019 all drones in uk over 250g have to be registered. Good timing for us ?

It has great utility for individuals that travel to various countries. Many of those countries require registration for travelers. This would avoid that. However, you still need to follow the rules, but you don't have the limiting paperwork.

Exactly.
The mini is not a competitor for the Air, or even the Spark.
It's its own class for this purpose, and (besides the packed size) the only reason I would purchase one.

Reactions: Mavic 57
The only problem is that if rules have weight and prop protection, Mini doesn't qualify. Prop guards increase weight over 250g limit.

In reality not many who own them fly with prop guards fitted.
A novelty unless flying indoors, and then weight is a moot point.
I’m more concerned about travel with the mini after reading about the CE / FCC versions, will wait and see how this could affect travel aspects, but suspect distance with CE won’t be that much is an issue for most people for what the mini is designed for (or an FCC hack won’t be far off after release anyway).

From what I understand, the new 2020 regulations are based on the maximum take off weight, so the prop guards are included as far as I can tell. From July this year, you have to register to fly a Mini, so the new sub 250g class is absolutely pointless from a registration point of view. DJI should get their hands slapped for this one as they will have known the regulations were changing.

In reality, to fly the drone you'll need to get your A2 CofC qualification, which will most likely be an online test. After 2022 you can fly in the open class, but must be 150m away from people. You also have to be registered, even if the drone is under 250g, unless it qualifies as a toy. Only sub 250g "toy" drones do not require registration.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S