WHY do people call it 'MISSIONS'???

Dmcvey

Reactions
4781666.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: AnAvailableUsername

Fergus

Reactions
I agree. I've often looked at the word and thought, "Mission? I've been on missions in the military but a mission this is not." It's a flight.

Mission is far too serious for a hobby. Some definitions: (1) an operation carried out by military aircraft. "He was shot down on a supply mission" (2) an important assignment carried out for political, religious, or commercial purposes, typically involving travel.
"A trade mission to Mexico." (3) A group of people sent on a mission. "By then, the mission had journeyed more than 3,500 miles." (4) An organization or institution involved in a long-term assignment in a foreign country. "The head of the West German mission."

In short, the word is obviously used inappropriately.
So you're saying that NOTAMs (notice to air missions) don't apply to us since we don't fly missions. Glad to know the FAA is using the word inappropriately.

Reactions: slozukimc

WanderLost

Premium Pilot
Reactions
The FAA, Transport Canada and Nav Canada all appear to think we are piloting "aircraft" that need to adhere to regulations and planning like "pilots" of manned aircraft do. It's the world they grew up and live in - and we're pretty much asking to play in their sandbox.
While I admit, "missions" sounds pretentious, the drone ground school training I took part in, as well as the Basic and Advanced tests pretty much used consistent language borrowed from aviation. Wear your Mavic Pilots badge proudly!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Logando