DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why do people put 3rd party strobes on Mavic 2 - it has bright white LEDs

passedpawn

Reactions
I guess title says it all. The two things that come to mind are 1) you want them to blink, and 2) the angle of the light is too much down, and not enough to the sides.

Last edited:
You could add the possibility that self powered strobes obviously won’t draw power from the flight battery (impact in flight time is small but real).

We have white bright LED on the Mavic 2?
Oh you mean on landing at dusk?

Otherwise, the reason why I use strobes are:
- The installed lights on the Mavic are not bright enough, and do not meet the 3 miles requirements to fly at dusk-dawn from the FAA.
- The strobes I installed are so bright, that I can more easily see the aircraft, even in daylight. This is crucial when flying at an altitude with trees in the background as an example. I can now see it Vs losing it in the busy background.
- The peace of mind that the aircraft has a better chance to be seen by manned aircraft, especially at dusk/dawn.

The truth is that if you would use theses strobes, you would know how useful they are, and you wouldn't have even started this thread....;-)

We have white bright LED on the Mavic 2?
Oh you mean on landing at dusk?

Otherwise, the reason why I use strobes are:
- The installed lights on the Mavic are not bright enough, and do not meet the 3 miles requirements to fly at dusk-dawn from the FAA.
- The strobes I installed are so bright, that I can more easily see the aircraft, even in daylight. This is crucial when flying at an altitude with trees in the background as an example. I can now see it Vs losing it in the busy background.
- The peace of mind that the aircraft has a better chance to be seen by manned aircraft, especially at dusk/dawn.

The truth is that if you would use theses strobes, you would know how useful they are, and you wouldn't have even started this thread....;-)
@jeplane i guess your answer say it all i agree with everything you said and i hope the OP now knows why we do it

I guess title says it all. The two things that come to mind are 1) you want them to blink, and 2) the angle of the light is too much down, and now enough to the sides.
I don’t use my drone battery to run the landing light (except in low light landings), which you reference, all the time. I want the battery power to let me fly longer.

The stock lights on the arms are not much use except for determining the M2P is functioning correctly at the time of take-off. They become invisible to me at a couple of hundred meters. This makes VLOS excessively hard and limited.

My Firehouse ARC2s allow visibility of 2-3+ miles, best at sunrise and sunset. They also allow visual determination of orientation. They may add to safety, but are not a substitute for LAANC flight clearance in busier airspace.

I don’t use my drone battery to run the landing light (except in low light landings), which you reference, all the time. I want the battery power to let me fly longer.

The stock lights on the arms are not much use except for determining the M2P is functioning correctly at the time of take-off. They become invisible to me at a couple of hundred meters. This makes VLOS excessively hard and limited.

My Firehouse ARC2s allow visibility of 2-3+ miles, best at sunrise and sunset. They also allow visual determination of orientation. They may add to safety, but are not a substitute for LAANC flight clearance in busier airspace.
These look good- how many do you run?

I've got one of my custom functions configured on the RC to cycle through the landing light modes; On/Off/Auto. Just need to make sure you keep track of which mode you are in if doing a hand-catch - having the lights come on and blind you when you're about to catch isn't ideal! Toggling it a few times is usually good enough to find the drone when you're within VLOS range and have just lost sight of it, or are just beyond VLOS and want a position check.

If you're in the habit of going further afield, or strobes are a requirement for night time ops, then I can absolutely understand why you might want them. If you've got a constant on option, then another use would be using them as a light source for conventional photography; Lumecube has just announced a range of studio lighting mods for their LED lights, for instance, which could make for some very interesting outdoor portraiture.

Additional strobes help a great deal with situational awareness especially when the background may conceal the drone.
I do a lot of inspiration work at lower altitudes and the strobes help me spot it very quickly if I need to look away for a moment.
Try them ... you'll see and search the forum for plenty of information on them.
I guess title says it all. The two things that come to mind are 1) you want them to blink, and 2) the angle of the light is too much down, and not enough to the sides.

Yup firehouse direct or Amazon whichever has the best deal. Next I recommend Aerial-Pixel for the mounts so you can put them wherever you want on the quad or like I did buy a set for my M2P and P4P.
Awesome products!

Reactions: Thomas B
Yup firehouse direct or Amazon whichever has the best deal. Next I recommend Aerial-Pixel for the mounts so you can put them wherever you want on the quad or like I did buy a set for my M2P and P4P.
Awesome products!
Agree... see the pic in post #7 above. You have the option on the front of arm mount and leg mount. They fit fine over my PolarPro landing gear.

Reactions: JS1600
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98