DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why do you need internet connectivity?

Berf

Reactions
I have a newbie question. Why do the DJI drone controllers need a hot spot to connect to the internet? What information is being provided from the internet that you need access to in order to fly a DJI drone?

I have a newbie question. Why do the DJI drone controllers need a hot spot to connect to the internet? What information is being provided from the internet that you need access to in order to fly a DJI drone?
You need an internet connection to initialize your drone after purchase but no internet is required after that other than to do updates.

You really don't need internet connections to fly. Once you have registered/activated your product, you are good to go.

Now some folks like the connectivity for maps (which can be downloaded and used "offline"), "updates" on the fly/field, (no pun intended) and a few other reasons.

I haven't updated anything in 3 years. I only let it on the internet to activate and register my kit. That was it. no updates for me. I saw back when that they were tossing out "flight modes" to update "things", and I saw that some things were being "hobbled" , some folk reported slower flight speeds, reduce distances, and just seemed to me induce instability. Nothing like a Factory flash...

As for the "flight modes that were offered? I learned to fly them manually.....

But it is up to you. Read the forums, and be mindful before you hit the "update" button.
They have made it almost impossible to revert back.....

Last edited:
I have been wondering the same thing, I was reading through some of the threads about tablets and they kep taking about hotspotting and such, and I was not sure why?
Guess for updated maps

Reactions: Droniac
I think it's DJI's way of making sure the app, geo maps, etc. are up to date before you fly.

As others have stated, an internet connection is not required to fly.

Check everything, including caching the map, while around the home Wi-Fi before heading out to fly.

It never fails, you're all geared up ready to fly and find out that DJI has upgraded something.

At least that's the way it seemed when flying the Spark back in the day.

Trying to update something with the limited battery time of the Spark in field sucked.

Others have covered it quite well. Once you get used to the forum, highly suggest using the "Similar Threads" at bottom of page or do a Search. Most topics have been thoroughly discussed hundreds of times.

Have an issue not found, then plz ask away. Bunch of great pilots here to help, esp should you have an issue and need the log files read and deciphered to know what has happened.

• Haha
Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I have found that in certain areas I require an unlock from DJI and in those cases, I require to be in range of a cell tower to receive code to finalize the unlock, isthis perhaps the issue?

I have found that in certain areas I require an unlock from DJI and in those cases, I require to be in range of a cell tower to receive code to finalize the unlock, isthis perhaps the issue?
Well, yes, if you need to get clearance from the FAA to fly in a restricted area, then yes, you will need the online access.

But only if you have the later version of firmwares installed.......

Not me......

You don’t have to upgrade especially in the field. Many people get caught with this. Just ignore the update request.

Reactions: MA2 317
You need it of course to upgrade, which I have never done, but you also need it to self unlock a NFZ. Once in the field you won"t need it.

In my IT experience, "update" is generally opening a Pandora's box unless you happen to be a software engineer yourself -- and maybe even then. Call me a Luddite if you will, but I'd rather heave my iPhone out the window of my car than comply with Apple's frequent demands that I up-date it. Unfortunately for me, it usually comes to about the same thing.

And BTW, I too had wondered about needing internet to use the MA2 properly. Thanks to the OP for asking and to the rest of you for answering.

Reactions: MA2 317
I have a newbie question. Why do the DJI drone controllers need a hot spot to connect to the internet? What information is being provided from the internet that you need access to in order to fly a snaptube vidmate DJI drone?
I don't think that it needs internet connection

Last edited:
GPS maps real time while you fly or program your drone

No internet on your phone needed for flying, but I always start everything at home first with Internet to check for updates of the app, fly safe areas, drone firmware and/or controller firmware.
When flying I use airplane mode to avoid any interference.

GPS maps real time while you fly or program your drone
There are maps, which you can download anytime (and aren't essential anyway).
But there's no such thing as GPS maps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61