DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does enabling captions in VLC affect my video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marklyn

Reactions
posted on DJI forums but no bites there, so I'll try here :)
I recently upgraded my Mavic Pro 2, controller and batteries to test the new waypoints fix. I also wanted to test the change to the video caption (altitude added).
My first flight was with Litchi and I didn't turn on the video caption yet. Flight was as expected, nice video.
Next flight was with DJI Go and I turned on video caption. When I viewed this flight in VLC with captions, the video was extremely jumpy, pixelated, choppy and pretty much worthless.
Next flight was again with Litchi (programmed flight). Again, when I viewed the flight with captions in VLC, same thing, jumpy, pixelated, etc.
So then, in VLC, I disabled captions and the video is fine or as expected.
In summary, when I view video with captions enabled in VLC the video is bad, captions disabled, video is good.

I'm copying my files to my local hard drive, using current version of VLC.
Anyone have any ideas why enabling captions causes this?
Here is a link to a smaller video if anyone want's to see (zipped in 7zip):
DJI Go test flight baltus.7z

Sounds like your playback environment must be right on the edge where when you add one more duty to the mix, it's overwhelmed.

If you're playing it in Windows 10, try the Windows native player, the one that replaced Media Player. You can selective caption files with it too.

No, it's not that DanMan32. My i7 is not taxed at all. I have no other apps running in the foreground and minimal in background. CPU usage stays low, around 25%.
Oddly enough Windows player, with captions, plays ok.

Did some more research and did overlook the version number of VLC, updated to current version and it plays well with captions. My bad.

Reactions: Thomas B
Status
Not open for further replies.